Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Same here. I mean, I'd have a beer or a glass of wine or some bourbon at dinner just because it's quite tasty to me, but I don't think I'd get drunk much at all. I like the feeling of being high much more than being drunk. I'm super friendly and happy and calm when I'm high, I get a little boisterous and can get angry easily when I'm drunk. I've made zero bad decisions while high. We once threw a party at my house and there ended up being a fist fight at one point... all the participants were drunk. Bet if we had been toking nothing would have happened except munchies. And the next day I always feel pretty good and well-rested, unlike the day after a night of heavy drinking. At worst I might have a stomachache from overeating, but that's only when I get to an 8 or higher.

Toke on brother do you live in one of the good states?

live in the usvi,, they just had an artical in the local news paper bout legalizing medical mj here in the vi

they will be voting on it in the coming weeks..

i say they should just outright make it legal to grow and smoke weed for all, it would bring a lot of tourist dollars to the us vi.. the economy is in the sheet can, hess oil just closed it's st croix refinery and it aint looking good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And I am very, very thankful that I am not prone to addiction. However, encouraging the use of anything (yes, including marijuana) which can, and often does, lead to addiction is insanity.

this is the biggest gateway drug of them all,,!!! and is legal yep i can go down to the local supermarket and buy as many bottles of this poison as i can.. my brother was addicted to hard booze at the age of 15 years, he is totally dry now for like 30 years and yes he smokes pot just like his wife and me alike..

just say no to booze and say yes to weed and everything will be alright

Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM

679 posts, read 614,783 times
Quote:
I'm referring to mind-altering drugs, taken for "recreation."

I already gave some hard numbers. Would you believe other numbers I posted? Or would I get the same answer... "they probably started with booze."
Your hard numbers were that Cliffside Rehab says that 80% of their addicts made their start with pot.

Now even though I can't find this fact backed up anywhere, especially not on their website, lets assume its correct. Like was stated earlier, there could possibly have been Alcohol involved as well, but still lets assume that you are correct and that they started with pot.

Let's look at some hard facts:
over 100 million Americans have used marijuana as of 2006
3.4 million were classified as having a substance abuse problem with alcohol and illicit drugs as of 2004
3.9 million were classified as having a substance abuse problem with strictly illicit drugs

So right there you have 7.3 million who have abuse problems, out of 100 million. If we assume your 80% figure is universal then that means about 5.8 million people have a abuse problem with drugs and started with pot.

So that means that roughly 6% of users who use pot will use illicit drugs.

These are huge leaps and bounds of logic, but as you can see, its nowhere near being something that happens to everybody

Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
I'm referring to mind-altering drugs, taken for "recreation."

I already gave some hard numbers. Would you believe other numbers I posted? Or would I get the same answer... "they probably started with booze."
You mean the 80% number you posted? Yeah, that's 80% of drug addicts who checked in to a rehab facility. I'm asking about the percentage of ALL marijuana users who end up in rehab because they're addicted.

What I'm getting at here is that 80% of drug addicts having started on weed is way different from 80% of weed smokers end up as addicts. I would be interested in seeing how many people who smoke weed end up going on to harder drugs. I believe the research has proven time and time again that weed is really not the "gateway drug" that silly DEA propaganda would have you believe. Most smokers I know have never tried harder stuff.

@cruxan I agree man. Some day. The federal government will be hearing a lawsuit in October that was filed like a decade ago by NORML that could get marijuana taken off of the Schedule I list of drugs under the DEA. This would mean that medicinal cannabis programs would no longer have to live in fear of the federal government. And it would move us one step closer to full legalization.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
this is the biggest gateway drug of them all,,!!! and is legal yep i can go down to the local supermarket and buy as many bottles of this poison as i can.. my brother was addicted to hard booze at the age of 15 years, he is totally dry now for like 30 years and yes he smokes pot just like his wife and me alike..

just say no to booze and say yes to weed and everything will be alright
I don't consume marijuana or alcohol. It wouldn't bother me if both were illegal. Just say no to booze and marijuana and society would be a lot better off.

But the fact remains that many people who became addicted started with marijuana.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Another Jury Revolts Against Marijuana Laws, "They felt marijuana should be legalized." | StoptheDrugWar.org

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, citizens thinking critically and taking the laws into their own hands. The longest and costliest war in US history is a failure and was launched by lies and propaganda. There is no excuse for it's support anymore.
Wonderful! I would do the same. Also for somebody on trial for prostitution or gambling. Everyone who is charged with a lifestyle crime should demand a jury trial.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I don't consume marijuana or alcohol. It wouldn't bother me if both were illegal. Just say no to booze and marijuana and society would be a lot better off.

But the fact remains that many people who became addicted started with marijuana.

so are you saying alcohol should be made illegal also.. we all know how that worked out

just imagine how many more people would be thrown in jail for alcohol production and consumption.. it cost like 40 thousand dollars a year to house an inmate.. this countries deficit is already over 16 trillion and counting with no end in sight

there's hundreds of thousands of inocent people in jail for smoking a natural plant, do you not see something wrong with that??? or are you just gastapo type??

Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Another Jury Revolts Against Marijuana Laws, "They felt marijuana should be legalized." | StoptheDrugWar.org

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, citizens thinking critically and taking the laws into their own hands. The longest and costliest war in US history is a failure and was launched by lies and propaganda. There is no excuse for it's support anymore.
Pot does so much damage to people, communities and to the future that I would have no problem of having the death penalty for suppiers of a large amount.
Maybe confiscate property for buying it and make it tough to do it.

It's stupid to do, businesses don't want self medicating people and so forth.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Pot does so much damage to people
lol

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
I love juries. Down here we had a lady kill another lady on a DWI charge, wemt to a jury and only got 10 years probation. Think I'll go have several cold ones tonight!

Never leave it to a judge!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies