Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a government-issued photo ID?
Yes 49 96.08%
No 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have an ID, but that is because I am a moderately wealthy suburbanite who likes to do international travel every once in a while.

If you live in an inner city where it is often expensive/pointless to own a car, and do not travel it is very reasonable to believe you would not have a valid ID. I college I knew a bunch of folks who, while wealthy, were from cities and had never bothered to get a drivers license and probably would have serious trouble with voter ID laws if they existed in North Carolina.
Pretty hard to do anything in life without an ID, so I assume your wealthy friends never leave their homes?
No cigs, no booze, no airplanes, no checks, no credit cards, they can't do anything. Now I feel sorry for the wealthy...
Amazing what stories people will tell and expect to be believed. Hiding behind that computer screen doesn't keep the BS from showing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Pretty hard to do anything in life without an ID, so I assume your wealthy friends never leave their homes?
No cigs, no booze, no airplanes, no checks, no credit cards, they can't do anything. Now I feel sorry for the wealthy...
Amazing what stories people will tell and expect to be believed. Hiding behind that computer screen doesn't keep the BS from showing...
No cigs (none of them smoked), and buying booze became a problem when they reached 21, I don't think I ever saw one of them use a check (really who uses checks these days), and most of the time they, and I, have used credit cards no one asked for ID. You would be surprised how well people can do without any of the things you listed, especially if they have other people to drive them and go on beer runs for them.

They did have passports, (which helped with buying booze and airplanes) but passports do not prove address or residency in a particular state and are only allowed as voter ID in some states. With that said a huge number of folks that are not wealthy are not going to have passports because passports cost money and the likely will not do any international travelling.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 08-19-2012 at 01:46 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,713,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
But that still costs money. If you're poor you aren't likely able to spend $30 on an id that you can't eat for dinner.
It's FREE at least in Pennsylvania.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
My husband didn't have a photo ID for over 12 years, didn't need one because he was disabled and didn't drive. And this might shock you but lots of people---us included---never buy booze or cigarettes or use credit cards and all our health care providers have known us for years and never ask for IDs until very recently.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
My husband didn't have a photo ID for over 12 years, didn't need one because he was disabled and didn't drive. And this might shock you but lots of people---us included---never buy booze or cigarettes or use credit cards and all our health care providers have known us for years and never ask for IDs until very recently.
And, nowadays, you have to have one in many cases to cash checks, you have to have one to fly, many employers want to keep a copy of your ID on file, etc.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
In fairness, I did think of someone who I knew who did not have an ID. I had a roommate in college whose driver's license was suspended and he temporarily did not have a driver's license because of that. He could have gotten a state ID card and he did talk about doing that, but I don't think he ever did. He did have a student ID card the whole time obviously and that meets the requirements of voter ID laws in some states.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you have an ID that meets the requirements of voter ID laws in the states where such laws have been passed?

I have had a driver's license ever since I was 16.

I also have a passport which I believe would be acceptable as well.
State governmnet issued driver's license and non-driver state ID card as well as my voter registration card. Expired passport.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
But that still costs money. If you're poor you aren't likely able to spend $30 on an id that you can't eat for dinner.
I had to vote yes because I do have a drivers license with my picture on it. My state has managed to keep DOJ from coming after it because the state allows those who don't drive to get the ID by just going to the license issuing people who take the picture and issue an ID free of charge. Poor old Eric Holder just can't find anything wrong with those laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies