Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We all know that.
So you are just annoyed that you have to pay a small fine when you get caught, but you have no problem with risking throwing yourself through a windshield...sounds like solid logic.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Obviously, an open container law, or a public drinking law will be ineffective at stopping overconsumption and liver problems. Nor will limiting the places you can smoke necessarily prevent lung cancer in smokers, but those are not only problems associated with drinking and smoking.

I simply provided reasons why the laws restricting the place of drinking and smoking curb some of the problems associated with drinking and smoking.

As to not wearing seat belts I think that is a different argument. I was simply responding to your question about curbing the effects of drinking and smoking.
I don't. It's about safety. Personal safety. If we're outlawing things that put you at personal risk, without harming anybody else, than smoking and drinking are valid arguments.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you are just annoyed that you have to pay a small fine when you get caught, but you have no problem with risking throwing yourself through a windshield...sounds like solid logic.
Let's pass a law where we fine smokers for smoking and drinkers for drinking. Let's fine anybody who puts THEMSELVES at risk. That's the logic your using.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not deflecting. You just haven't made a valid argument yet. First you have to prove why the law should be valid.

Start there and then build your argument.
Why do we have speed limits? They don't prevent you from driving as fast as you want.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 PM

635 posts, read 539,390 times
Quote:
I'm starting this thread after a lengthy conversation with a police officer today. How do you posters feel about seatbelt laws? Personally, I feel like it gives officers too much authority. Nobody will be harmed, but yourself for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't there be public awareness campaigns rather than law enforcement of the issue?
I'll be harmed because your insurance will pay for your health care, and that means I'm paying for your health care if we have the same insurance company.

If you don't have health care, I'm paying for it because the hospital will charge other patients more to cover a bill you'll likely not pay, or you're on welfare, and my taxes will pay for your care.

Sure it's a slippery slope, but this is such an obviously common sense thing to do, that it boggles the mind that people are stupid enough not to wear seat belts.

Another argument would be parents setting an example for children.

Quote:
Let's pass a law where we fine smokers for smoking and drinkers for drinking. Let's fine anybody who puts THEMSELVES at risk. That's the logic your using.
Many places do have such laws. The fact remains that negligent behavior often effects not just the person behaving negligently.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why do we have speed limits? They don't prevent you from driving as fast as you want.
If you speed to fast and cause an accident, your harming someone else. Your not harming anyone BUT yourself if you don't wear a seatbelt. See the difference?

Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I'll be harmed because your insurance will pay for your health care, and that means I'm paying for your health care if we have the same insurance company.

If you don't have health care, I'm paying for it because the hospital will charge other patients more to cover a bill you'll likely not pay, or you're on welfare, and my taxes will pay for your care.

Sure it's a slippery slope, but this is such an obviously common sense thing to do, that it boggles the mind that people are stupid enough not to wear seat belts

Another argument would be parents setting an example for children.
The bold is the only valid argument I've heard in this thread.

As far as setting an example for children, you've got no case. If we fined bad parents we wouldn't be in a deficit And also, the law would be exempt for single drivers with no kids.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
No, that is not using my logic, that is called ignoring facts.

Seat belts have been proven to save lives in accidents, if you make not wearing them illegal you increase the number of people who wear seat belts, thus saving more lives. Do laws stop people from wearing a seat belt? No, but it does discourage it. You don't have to wear a seat belt, but that is the risk you take.

If you choose not to listen to logic, I can't help you understand this.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM

635 posts, read 539,390 times
Quote:
The bold is the only valid argument I've heard in this thread.

As far as setting an example for children, you've got no case. If we fined bad parents we wouldn't be in a deficit And also, the law would be exempt for single drivers with no kids.
I think you'd be making a simple law unnecessarily complex, regardless, a law can serve multiple purposes, one of which in this case is to minimize the number of children who would be learning from the poor example set by their parents.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I think you'd be making a simple law unnecessarily complex, regardless, a law can serve multiple purposes, one of which in this case is to minimize the number of children who would be learning from the poor example set by their parents.
Or pulling over minorities and having an undebateable excuse to pull them over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies