Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes because seat belt laws that prevent you from flying through your windshield is what it preventing our country from being "great." Also, you are not being criminalized, you are actually breaking the law because you aren't wearing you seat belt. You seem to ignore the fact that each state has decided the level of importance this is, there are state that see this as a secondary offense and have fairly cheap tickets if you get caught, but nevermind that, the seatbelt law is taking away your freedom!!!
I help take care of a sister everyday that was saved by a seat belt. She had the worst type of head trauma possible. If you think that I don't understand risks your mistaken. You simply fail to understand that people should be allowed to take risks that don't harm others.

Drink alcohol. Smoke marijuana. Skydive. Bungee Jump. Smoke cigarettes. Engage in condomless sex. Own a gun. Etc, etc, etc.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I help take care of a sister everyday that was saved by a seat belt. She had the worst type of head trauma possible. If you think that I don't understand risks your mistaken. You simply fail to understand that people should be allowed to take risks that don't harm others.

Drink alcohol. Smoke marijuana. Skydive. Bungee Jump. Smoke cigarettes. Engage in condomless sex. Own a gun. Etc, etc, etc.
Well lucky for her there is a seatbelt law for those when people are driving because driving isn't a right and there are laws with it we should respect. I am guessing if she was like you and thought she didn't need to wear a seatbelt and thought the law was dumb she would be dead.

I never said you can't wear your seat belt, I said you take a risk when you do. Nothing you can say is going to change that. I know you don't like the law and as I have pointed out repeatedly, there are places where the law is a secondary offense. Secondary offense means that an officer won't pull you over for not wearing your seat belt and if you do get pulled over for something else and they give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt it will probably be a small amount of money. If that is what you want, then you should move to a state where it is a secondary offense, if not, then you have spent 92 pages whining about a law that you won't change and something that is proven to save lives, your sister is included in the lives a seat belt has saved, so you are welcome.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Well lucky for her there is a seatbelt law for those when people are driving because driving isn't a right and there are laws with it we should respect. I am guessing if she was like you and thought she didn't need to wear a seatbelt and thought the law was dumb she would be dead.

I never said you can't wear your seat belt, I said you take a risk when you do. Nothing you can say is going to change that. I know you don't like the law and as I have pointed out repeatedly, there are places where the law is a secondary offense. Secondary offense means that an officer won't pull you over for not wearing your seat belt and if you do get pulled over for something else and they give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt it will probably be a small amount of money. If that is what you want, then you should move to a state where it is a secondary offense, if not, then you have spent 92 pages whining about a law that you won't change and something that is proven to save lives, your sister is included in the lives a seat belt has saved, so you are welcome.
There's so many ill things I could say to your right now but I'm simply going to state that we'll never see eye to eye on the issue. There's no point in you rehashing the same tired ass argument for another 30 pages. Let somebody else voice their opinion.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:09 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
I'm starting this thread after a lengthy conversation with a police officer today. How do you posters feel about seatbelt laws? Personally, I feel like it gives officers too much authority. Nobody will be harmed, but yourself for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't there be public awareness campaigns rather than law enforcement of the issue?
It depends. What will it mean insurance-wise both accident and regular cost? You know, will I have to pay more every 6 months if seat belt usage is optional for everyone? How about if there is an accident I'm in and you go hurtling through the windshield in your car (and are injured but live) but I don't because I'm wearing mine? Can you sue me for your injuries or your busted windshield?

I'm still waiting for a seat belt for short people so the seat belt doesn't go across my neck.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It depends. What will it mean insurance-wise both accident and regular cost? You know, will I have to pay more every 6 months if seat belt usage is optional for everyone? How about if there is an accident I'm in and you go hurtling through the windshield in your car (and are injured but live) but I don't because I'm wearing mine? Can you sue me for your injuries or your busted windshield?

I'm still waiting for a seat belt for short people so the seat belt doesn't go across my neck.
Ha ha, and I'm waiting for one that actually fits me. I'm an ex college fullback and I feel so restrained everytime I wear one. I typically only wear one on the highway and when there's bad driving conditions. I'm not someone advocating not wearing a seat belt, I'm just someone who's advocating it shouldn't be law.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
There's so many ill things I could say to your right now but I'm simply going to state that we'll never see eye to eye on the issue. There's no point in you rehashing the same tired ass argument for another 30 pages. Let somebody else voice their opinion.
You're right because I provide facts and you provide opinions and emotions. We will never see eye to eye and you will never change the seat belt law, yet you keep responding and posting. Do you think the reason why no one else is voicing their opinion because they think you have been beating a dead horse that is absolutely pointless and your poll clearly show that 63% to 33% support the seat belt law? Guess you are in the minority on this issue and it shows.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Ha ha, and I'm waiting for one that actually fits me. I'm an ex college fullback and I feel so restrained everytime I wear one. I typically only wear one on the highway and when there's bad driving conditions. I'm not someone advocating not wearing a seat belt, I'm just someone who's advocating it shouldn't be law.
Why should it not be a law? Do you have any facts to back up this reasoning? If you are using the excuse that seat belts don't fit, then that can be solved with cars being designed with seat belts to fit people of different sizes.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You're right because I provide facts and you provide opinions and emotions. We will never see eye to eye and you will never change the seat belt law, yet you keep responding and posting. Do you think the reason why no one else is voicing their opinion because they think you have been beating a dead horse that is absolutely pointless and your poll clearly show that 63% to 33% support the seat belt law? Guess you are in the minority on this issue and it shows.
If there was a new poll started there would be a huge shift in opinion on this issue. Just from the discussion this thread starter. People are tired of being preyed upon by bored police. I have a business to run. I don't have time to give to some kid trying to meet a quota. You don't even understand the effect the law can have on someones life professionally, financially, or mentally/emotionally.

I don't know what world you live in, but your opinion of a government that controls our every move, is only valid to yourself. The will of the people will influence what laws are passed or repealed and what amendments will be made.

You can sit here and tell me I can't do anything about the law, but if enough people support the initiative, it can be done.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
If there was a new poll started there would be a huge shift in opinion on this issue. Just from the discussion this thread starter. People are tired of being preyed upon by bored police. I have a business to run. I don't have time to give to some kid trying to meet a quota. You don't even understand the effect the law can have on someones life professionally, financially, or mentally/emotionally.

I don't know what world you live in, but your opinion of a government that controls our every move, is only valid to yourself. The will of the people will influence what laws are passed or repealed and what amendments will be made.

You can sit here and tell me I can't do anything about the law, but if enough people support the initiative, it can be done.
You are welcome to start a new poll, but I highly doubt the outcome would be any different. I do understand that you are associating emotion with the law and blaming it for the "bored police." Do you honestly thing getting rid of the seat belt law is going to make some police to magically stop racial profiling?

How is our government controlling our moves by having a seat belt law that I have already proven to you increases safety among drivers? Also, the seat belt law was created by the will of the people to increase safety on our roads, what you have an issue with is some police who racial profile which has nothing to do with seat belts.

That is the problem, I can tell you there is nothing you can do about the law because you don't have enough people to support the initiative to change the law, but unfortunately you don't see that, nor do I think you are doing anything about it besides beating a dead horse on a thread in City Data.

If you want to talk about racial profiling and how bad that is for people, I am all for that and would totally support you, but if you think the government is trying to control you by making you wear a seat belt, you should ask you sister if she was happy to be wearing that seat belt and think about how many lives that seat belt has saved in auto accidents.

You really need to separate emotions from facts, what you are using in this thread has been nothing but emotion that has been proven to you time and time again and you continue to ignore that and continue to rant about how seat belt laws are bad even though they have been proven to safe lives and increase safety among drivers. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
You are welcome to start a new poll, but I highly doubt the outcome would be any different. I do understand that you are associating emotion with the law and blaming it for the "bored police." Do you honestly thing getting rid of the seat belt law is going to make some police to magically stop racial profiling?

How is our government controlling our moves by having a seat belt law that I have already proven to you increases safety among drivers? Also, the seat belt law was created by the will of the people to increase safety on our roads, what you have an issue with is some police who racial profile which has nothing to do with seat belts.

That is the problem, I can tell you there is nothing you can do about the law because you don't have enough people to support the initiative to change the law, but unfortunately you don't see that, nor do I think you are doing anything about it besides beating a dead horse on a thread in City Data.

If you want to talk about racial profiling and how bad that is for people, I am all for that and would totally support you, but if you think the government is trying to control you by making you wear a seat belt, you should ask you sister if she was happy to be wearing that seat belt and think about how many lives that seat belt has saved in auto accidents.

You really need to separate emotions from facts, what you are using in this thread has been nothing but emotion that has been proven to you time and time again and you continue to ignore that and continue to rant about how seat belt laws are bad even though they have been proven to safe lives and increase safety among drivers. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?
There have been several post in support of repealing the law. I bet if the posters were counted the results would even be different than the poll. As the discussion grew, more and more people have come out against the law. People don't want their own liberties infringed upon so they choose to advocate wearing seat belts but not mandating wearing seat belts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies