Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should seatbelt laws exist?
Yes 190 62.91%
No 104 34.44%
Unsure 8 2.65%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

One of my sisters claims she was saved by not wearing a seat belt. Several other posters have cited stories too.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually:

The Tenth Amendment

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

If it's not in the Constitution, then it's delegated to the States or to the people. Nonsense about driving being a "privilege" is just relatively recent BS made up by law enforcement agencies, to harass people .

And there have been court cases to back that up.

Driving on American Roads is a Constitutional Right, not a State-Granted 'Privilege'
In case you don't know the Seat Belt Law is controlled by each state, it is not a Federal Law therefore it is a law created by the people for the people. From your link it is confusing the Right to Drive with the Right to Travel. We do have a Right to move freely throughout our country, you are free to ride passenger in a car and you are free to drive a car provided you have a driver's license to prove you are legal to drive. With driving comes a series of laws that were created by the people for the people and the Seat Belt Law is one of them, it does not restrict your freedom to drive nor travel.

Unless you are telling me that a seat belt can somehow prevent someone from being able to drive, therefore it is restricting that freedom. But the problem will that link is the next time you get pulled over, you tell the officer you don't have a license because it restricts your Right to Drive and let us know how that experiment works out for you.

I have a feeling you will learn very quickly the difference between privilege and right. You have the right to travel, but that doesn't mean you have the right to drive. There are several other modes of transportation like walking, biking, public transportation options, and riding with people who are legal to drive.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
One of my sisters claims she was saved by not wearing a seat belt. Several other posters have cited stories too.
Ask your sister if she was thankful for wearing a seat belt? If you are gonna go off stories, I would start with hers and learn from her, she sounds like a smart girl. Or you can continue to think accidents only happen in bad weather or on the highway.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ask your sister if she was thankful for wearing a seat belt? If you are gonna go off stories, I would start with hers and learn from her, she sounds like a smart girl. Or you can continue to think accidents only happen in bad weather or on the highway.
We were all in the car. I wasn't wearing a seat belt either. I was sleep. We were young. We all survived and are still going today.

I have seen friends die from many other things though. There's also many deaths where people were wearing their seat belt.

Wearing a seat belt improves your chances of surviving an accident and not being seriously injured.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We were all in the car. I wasn't wearing a seat belt either. I was sleep. We were young. We all survived and are still going today.

I have seen friends die from many other things though. There's also many deaths where people were wearing their seat belt.

Wearing a seat belt improves your chances of surviving an accident and not being seriously injured.
Because that is so much worse than death. Also you were lucky you weren't thrown out of the car.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Also if you want people to take part in your new poll, you might want to let your old thread die and only post in your new thread....just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies