Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,127,041 times

Advertisements

A balanced budget! And yes.. all sides are going to have to make sacrifices and compromise. If we the American people can run our households on a budget, they can too. If we can't afford something, we don't buy it. We clip coupons, we comparison shop. We do what we have to, to live within our means. A budget is something we all learned in High School Consumer Economics class, so there is absolutely no reason for our politicians not to be able to understand the basic principles of one....

Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,087,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Why just banks? Why not eliminate bailouts of ALL private enterprise? Taxpayers are still on the hook for billions from GM, and its future isn't looking too rosy. In fact, there may be another bankruptcy/bailout in its future.

I'd be for that. I never stated that I was for bailouts, I just stated I was against the bankers bonusing themselves with taxpayer money. If they didn't get the bailouts they'd all be job hunting We agree on this.

There's always a bunch of business haters that vilify the corporate world, but refuse to recognize that most of the problems with the federal government.

I say start with downsizing the federal government, eliminate the massive bureaucracy, and restore the states to the power vested in them by our Constitution. Government is among the largest employers in our nation. That statistic alone should raise some eyebrows.
I'd be for that as well. I do believe in government however, we need it for the public services we so readily enjoy. I do think we need to cut the fat though and downsize government employees and audit all sections of government.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm attempting to start a non-partisan thread to see if us Americans can come together on some issues. We often criticize our politicians for playing partisan politics, but many of us fail on a personal level to avoid the same trap. I'm starting this thread to see if we Americans can come together on some key issues and make some sort of headway in starting a bi-partisan citizens effort to change things in this country.

I'll start by listing a few issues that I believe a vast majority of Americans can agree on regardless of party. I know its city-data, but lets leave party affiliation out of this and simply state issues that we might have in common, and why we're for or against that issue. I'm hoping that Lib/Con and Dem/Rep can be left out of this.

I'll start it off.

1) I believe we should all be against banks who received taxpayer money from bonusing their executives. Until the banks balance their books and start turning profits, the execs shouldn't bonus themselves. There should also be a freeze on executive pay. If it wasn't for taxpayer money, these banks would be bankrupt.

2) I believe that corporate donations to candidates should be outlawed.

Please post other issues you believe could receive bi-partisan support and offer feedback on the initiatives I proposed.
Bi partisan support? Well, now that you mention it.....

Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
A balanced budget! And yes.. all sides are going to have to make sacrifices and compromise. If we the American people can run our households on a budget, they can too. If we can't afford something, we don't buy it. We clip coupons, we comparison shop. We do what we have to, to live within our means. A budget is something we all learned in High School Consumer Economics class, so there is absolutely no reason for our politicians not to be able to understand the basic principles of one....
I agree with that. I'd not only like to have a balanced budget, but would like to shoot for some type of surplus for once. We can't just keep increasing our debt. We'll get to the point where we won't even be able to pay off our interest (which we might be close to now)

I'd also like to see the military budget cut drastically. We spend more on our military than the next 15 countries combined!! I do however feel that our returning soldiers should be better taken care of.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM

What do you all think of outlawing employers from hiring illegal immigrants?? Maybe revise our immigration laws so that our legal immigration system runs more efficiently.

Maybe mandate a social security card or work visa upon employment.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,219,207 times
Quote:
I'd be for that as well. I do believe in government however, we need it for the public services we so readily enjoy. I do think we need to cut the fat though and downsize government employees and audit all sections of government.
The federal government needs to reserve its activity to those powers defined in the Constitution and let the states provide "public services". Bailing out the banks and GM is on the same level, and neither should have been done with taxpayer monies. That's government overreaching its authority.

When I hear someone criticize corporations and the federal government equally, then I'll take them seriously.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
All politicians should be paid $30K per year maximum and they should not get "benefits for life" just because they were politicians. I feel they should be paid for their term and that is that.
That would be a great way to insure only rich people run for office, how does a head of household making $100K a year supporting a spouse and two kids run for office if they are going to be making below the poverty level?

Quote:
I also feel there should be 2 term limits on all senators and representatives like the president has term limits.
Agreed but I'd extend the Representative terms to 4.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,741,138 times
Quote:
What do you all think of outlawing employers from hiring illegal immigrants?? Maybe revise our immigration laws so that our legal immigration system runs more efficiently.

Maybe mandate a social security card or work visa upon employment.
Is that legal as things are now?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,741,138 times
Quote:
Government is necessary, but has to be kept in check. Now days, the government feels the same way about the people.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Is that legal as things are now?
Yea. I don't know the laws in the border states, but in most states, you can hire pretty much anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies