Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times

Advertisements

Is the increase in gas prices, food, and electric working for you? Is Obama proposing an increase in unemployment and welfare checks to keep up with the rising cost? How long will it take to move that mountain.

So much for helping the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,841 times
I've cut out driving entirely. I have switched to low power consumption appliances. And I've switched from central heating and cooling to a box fan that uses 5% of the power the pump uses. I'm feeling pretty rich right now even though it is a reaction to a decline in resource availability.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Is the increase in gas prices, food, and electric working for you? Is Obama proposing an increase in unemployment and welfare checks to keep up with the rising cost? How long will it take to move that mountain.
Great for me. I'm riding my bike to do the short errands that my lazy butt used to drive to, as a result, I'm back on my bikes, getting more exercises and saving not only on gas but car maintenance.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Great for me. I'm riding my bike to do the short errands that my lazy butt used to drive to, as a result, I'm back on my bikes, getting more exercises and saving not only on gas but car maintenance.
Not to mention insurance and the absolute killing you take on value as a car ages. Bikes hold their value much better. People like us will become the new reality of the US as the days roll on.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:

If oil men hadn't (and would stop) pushing petrol on the American people to the point where we are now quite literally dependent and put in a position of WEAKNESS because of our oil dependency, we wouldn't be HAVING this problem at all.

These seeds were planted before Obama was even born. We now reap what was sown.

And rising food prices? Unless Obama has a weather machine (or, continued the "turn food corn into fuel corn" legacy brought to us by GW Bush), I don't think we can blame him for that.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Not to mention insurance and the absolute killing you take on value as a car ages. Bikes hold their value much better. People like us will become the new reality of the US as the days roll on.
Yup ,We will be like the third world countries who have mostly bikes on their roads. We will have to pedal to food shop if one can afford to buy food, and those three wheeled bikes with the baskets in the back will be the necessary not the choice.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:39 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
gas for driving is not such a big deal unless you have to drive a long way or a lot.. it's all the other stuff thats rising in price do to high oil prices..

Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not too unlike what's done in 3rd world countries

They don't have the money or the resources ... so they ride their bikes.

Next thing you know, we'll be seeing fruit and vegetable stands in the courtyard square selling homegrown food because Walmart has just gotten to be too expensive.

We are witnessing the decline of the United States as we've known it ..

No sense in bailing out the car companies, or anyone else ever again I suppose. We aren't going to have the money to buy the cars anyway, much less drive them if we did ..

I find it hard to imagine that we voted for trhis.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Not too unlike what's done in 3rd world countries

They don't have the money or the resources ... so they ride their bikes.

Next thing you know, we'll be seeing fruit and vegetable stands in the courtyard square selling homegrown food because Walmart has just gotten to be too expensive.

We are witnessing the decline of the United States as we've known it ..

No sense in bailing out the car companies, or anyone else ever again I suppose. We aren't going to have the money to buy the cars anyway, much less drive them if we did ..

I find it hard to imagine that we voted for trhis.

The United States 'as you know it' was built on a pipe dream of a right to on-demand car-based transportation, whatever the cost to the environment or our cities.

Americans today spend more time commuting, more time in traffic, more time in congested highways that we always seem to have more money to expand at the expense of other alternatives.

Unfortunately we have squandered decades of development of alternative fuels for vehicles and transportation, thanks to big car and energy companies buying up patents and twiddling their thumbs on innovation technologies. We can send vehicles to Mars, but we haven't figured out a different way to drive?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Default Obama only helps the Middle Class when it can help his campaign.

Quote:

Not to worry. In true Obama fashion he is considering releasing from America's Emergency Oil Reserve just in time for Labor Day travel. Of course, this would mean Obama is willing to manipulate oil prices for his political gain.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/...h_prices_.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies