Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe there are good ideas from both liberals and conservatives. Those who can't appreciate that fact are our true oppressors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonJohn View Post
Agreed.
seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And the republican solution is what? Increase defense spending whether needed or not? Yeah, that's a real plan.
try growing the economy by letting business loose and let them do what they do best, make money. that is something obama isnt doing which is why our growth rates are anemic at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
... and yet, people were still wealthy, and we experienced greater growth as a nation. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Its a lot easier to grow a nation of 80 million then 300 million. Kinda like when anew company comes out and says we experianced 100 % growth. Then ya find out before they had 1 customer, now they have 2.
it was a much different time back then. remember we had the strongest economy going by far. we did the manufacturing for the world, and we had the money to run the world. the world came to us for help in keeping their economies afloat. we were a creditor nation. today however we are a debtor nation, much of our manufacturing has gone overseas since the 70s, we borrow more money than we loan out.

in the 50s the business environment was healthy, and oriented to making money. today the business environment is weak, and oriented to dealing with the massive amounts of government regulations.

if we were to unleash the economy, we would experience substantial growth so that we could reduce or eliminate the deficit, and get people back to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM

876 posts, read 708,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Come on, you mean you don't want to be associated with the party whose presidential candidate actually came out and admitted to not being concerned about poor people?

The whole Romney quote. "I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90%, 95% af Americans who right now are strugling."

Way to take a few words out of a quote to twist the meaning against him. Your obama has taught you well. Congrats!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Its a lot easier to grow a nation of 80 million then 300 million. Kinda like when anew company comes out and says we experianced 100 % growth. Then ya find out before they had 1 customer, now they have 2.
It wasn't a new country in the '50's, you know?

Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You really need to get your information from non-biased sources and do a little fact checking.

It was the Republican Party that pushed for passage of the 15th Amendment - black voting rights was opposed by the Democrats.

It was Western states conservatives who originally pushed for women's suffrage - and their efforts were opposed by Eastern liberals.

More Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1965 than did Democrats - and most of the opposition to the bill came from the Democratic Party.

You will recall that the Republican Party was founded for the sole purpose of abolishing slavery - and it accomplished this objective.

The Clean Air and Clean Water Acts were signed by a Republican President.

Now - what was it that you were trying to say?
There's a difference. Not all democrats were liberal, not all republicans were conservative. Times and parties change over time.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
The whole Romney quote. "I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it. I'm not concerned about the very rich, they're doing just fine. I'm concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90%, 95% af Americans who right now are strugling."

Way to take a few words out of a quote to twist the meaning against him. Your obama has taught you well. Congrats!
This quote from a person who was probably totally cool with the "you didn't build that crap", that Faux News deliberately twisted from Obama.
While I can't stand Romney, I knew what he was talking about with the poor quote, but if you really think that means he does care about the poor, you're blind.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This quote from a person who was probably totally cool with the "you didn't build that crap", that Faux News deliberately twisted from Obama.
While I can't stand Romney, I knew what he was talking about with the poor quote, but if you really think that means he does care about the poor, you're blind.
Then prove that Romney doesn't care about the poor with a real quote. Not just a piece of one. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Then prove that Romney doesn't care about the poor with a real quote. Not just a piece of one. Good luck.
Actions speak louder than words, on his part.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Also, I don't need quotes to prove that obama does not care for the poor. His actions, or lack there of, for his own brother speaks volumes. A man who actually quoted scripture saying, "I am my brother's keeper", does NOTHING for his own? obama gives no help to his brother living in Africa in a hut. The hut is so small that George Obama can stand in the middle of his one room and hold out his arms and both hands touch opposite walls. If barak doesn't even care for his own brother, how is he going to care for other poor people. Sad.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
There's a difference. Not all democrats were liberal, not all republicans were conservative. Times and parties change over time.
Kind of strange they won't allow a third party, but are willing to allow the parties to spilt. Not sure how this works for either party. Kick them all out and start over......

Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I'll concede that the Democratic Party is radically different a big part of that being that they abandoned their Southern base, but how is today's Republican Party radically different from the 1860's version? Aside from that Southern base hopping on board.
Well, Joshua, here's my take on the whole thing:

The Republicans today are BIG supporters of states' rights now-much like the southern democrats were for so many decades. The Civil War amendments, the Civil Rights/Voting Rights Acts (rightly) took rights away from the states to determine laws within their own boundaries because the southern states were abusing their powers and taking rights away from their own people. The extreme wing of the GOP--which dominates the party today--I believe are the ideological descendants of the states' rights southern Democrats--with the possible exception of the 13th amendment.

Not only that, but from 1860--1920 the GOP supported other federal measures like the homestead act (What?? Giving immigrants free land?? Handouts! ARE YOU CRAZY??), public education, national parks, food safety laws, the transcontinental railroad (federal infrastructure) and land grant colleges. They were the "big government" party in those days. The GOP's big goverment tendencies continued until the 1950s when Eisenhower authorized the Interstate Highway System--something the GOP would decry as a waste of money today.

I'll grant that the Civil Rights Act was passed along sectional lines, and the Northern Republicans were crucial in passing it--but that was fifty years ago. Once the racist southern Democrats realized they were betrayed, they flocked to a Republican party that was all too happy to welcome them in. As a result, Northern Republicans are the "liberals" and "RINOs" to the extremists, who, as usual, mostly hail from the South.

Now this doesn't mean that southern Republicans today are racist, but opposition to civil rights for blacks was the catalyst that completed the ideological switch between parties.

The crazy thing is, any basic reading of history shows this. You can read party platforms, speeches and bills passed under Republican congresses and presidents, and still the GOP claims to be the "Party of Lincoln" when it is nothing of the sort--and hasn't been for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies