Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times

Advertisements

Like I said before, call me when these women's rights activists start demanding the right to sign up for selective service.

No reason why women shouldn't be drafted, at least for non-combat roles, if they truly want equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
"Is it all over for men?" you ask.

I guess it depends on what the "it" you are referring to is.

In this case, what is all over for men is another organization that takes the form of a private social organization, but is in fact an opportunity for people to conduct various kinds of business discussions and transactions. What is over is the ability of wealthy and powerful men to exclude women from the opportunities to succeed and advance in business that men have always enjoyed.

This decision is an unmitigated good thing. The only negative thing that any rational person could say about it is that they took far too long to do it.
According to Wikipedia, it has about 300 members. Not a large number. Most business in America is small business.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,692 times
Does anybody have a link to any of the business deals that have been made over the years at country clubs, health clubs, etc either co-ed or non-coed?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Like I said before, call me when these women's rights activists start demanding the right to sign up for selective service.

No reason why women shouldn't be drafted, at least for non-combat roles, if they truly want equality.
Would it surprise you to know that this has been happening for years?

Women and the Draft | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson

Future Military Draft Could Include Women | Fox News

Signs of the Times | The Blog of Salvo Magazine

Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I would like to preface this post as I don't want it misconstrued. I don't believe in going out of my way to make life difficult for anyone for any reason. In regard to women, we need their brainpower just as much as men, and their nurturing side (except for the feminists) that brings compassion, understanding, and of course, beauty . I don't mind an all-girls club at all, but there is no doubt that there is a double standard here. I had hope for Augusta, not because they were being "sexist," but because it's a private (all-male) club and they can do whatever they want. And I am obviously not a fan of the feminist agenda, which is to defeat the "Old Boys Network." I was surprised, actually, that Augusta stood up to the public pressure initially because I see increasingly less and less of that. Male bonding is male bonding and men have every right to do that, just as women have every right to go to the health clinic that was advertised in my local paper as "Women Caring For Women." What would people say, for example, if boys pushed for membership in the Girl Scouts? All girls, and completely sexist that boys are excluded just because of their sex. Right?

Looking at the language is this article is telling. Even the most successful men in society bowed to political/social pressure. The feminize machine wins yet another one. I think what is happening to men is also important for women, but for different reasons. What does the future hold for men...and women?

My guess is that most men these days are like women anyway, so they weren't losing anything by doing such.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,619,891 times
My problem with this is the double-standard in which its sexist to have a male-only club, but perfectly fine for women-only clubs. I doubt things would go well for me if I went down to Curves to apply for a membership.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should woman executives be excluded from the forum where most high level business deals are made? Are these elite men distressed by the potential competition?
They'll just do the deals in the men's locker room now.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,256 times
They caved to pressure. I think any club that has a member's only policy based on men/women, should be fine. I dont see what there is to whine about. They dont want to except men or women, so be it. Go some where else.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I doubt things would go well for me if I went down to Curves to apply for a membership.
Even though I'm on your side, to be fair and unbiased, men are actually allowed to join curves.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
They caved to pressure. I think any club that has a member's only policy based on men/women, should be fine. I dont see what there is to whine about. They dont want to except men or women, so be it. Go some where else.
Did they cave to pressure? Absolutely, with each passing year Augusta National was being portrayed as social anachronism, which it was so much so that it was becoming an embarrassment. How can you have the CEO or IBM, one of the biggest corporate sponsors for the Masters Tournament be a woman, yet refuse them membership? At that point it's not only socially behind the times, IT'S BAD BUSINESS.

I don't see Augusta National telling IBM to take their sponsorship money somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies