Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,988,858 times

Advertisements

I didn't read anything about Hannity or Coulter being liberals, just Michael Savage. But do you think Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity make conservatives sound smart or rational? Sean Hannity says the same five sentences over and over again for 3 hours a day in his "earnest, convicted" voice... Ann Coulter's hatefuliated pollemicissary does a disservice to intellectually honest conservatives by making their "side" look caricatured and hackish... maybe that's their intent? Maybe they're trying to make conservatives look like jingoistic, isolated rednecks?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,298,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I always wondered if Stephen Colbert is really conservative or just acting it? I thought maybe that's why he left the Daily Show and started his own show because of John Stewart's liberal views.
He stated on 60 minutes that he's more conservative than most comedians, but i'd rate him as a moderate than anything else.

And the reason he got his own show (who john stewart is a producer or director for) is because all the daily show talent was leaving and they (comedy central and whoever pays for the daily show) wanted to keep stephen.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,253,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Do you consider Hannity and Coulter's commentary to be deep, nuanced, or convincing? I've read in some places that Michael Savage, for instance, might possibly be a closet liberal who puts on his uber-right-wing theater in order to make the points he's making sound stupid. Colbert does it but he makes it obvious. Maybe Hannity, Coulter, Savage, etc. are being subversive underneath all that posturing? When I listen to them it makes me more liberal rather than more conservative (just like Colbert) -- maybe they're trying to accomplish the same goal?
Savage is a comic genius. Have you ever heard hm talk about Nancy Pelosi's facelifts?

"To me, it's like looking at a tree. You see a tree, you want some wrinkles, you want some knots, you want some bark. Not some smooth, pefect surface like a newly-born sapling. I mean, come on, Nancy. We want to know that you've lived, felt pain, had a life that's at least in the proximity of normal. That face you have, those eyes, that look -- it's not schmutzis. It's not real."

Extended riffs, hour after hour. His books, his dog, his life in the jungles collecting specimens to learn about nutrition and vitamins. The man is a living breathing phenomenon of verbal stream of consciousness.

Sure, his political views are extreme, bordering on psychotic. Ignore them sometime, and just listen to the sounds and the rhythmn. Much of what he says is in unintentional blank or free verse.

I've mentioned this here before (and gotten flamed), but switching back and forth between Savage and NPR is one of the few truly rewarding and surreal listening experiences for anyone who doesn't have XM or Sirius radio.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,087,201 times
Savage is a stunner because you have to believe he can't take himself seriously; the others are just tragic because you know they believe everything they say. And for some reason there is an audience that eats it up. But I suppose people have to take what they can get.

I find the first page of this thread extremely telling, by the way.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,776,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Savage is a stunner because you have to believe he can't take himself seriously; the others are just tragic because you know they believe everything they say. And for some reason there is an audience that eats it up. But I suppose people have to take what they can get.

I find the first page of this thread extremely telling, by the way.
Ruffled a few dittoheads' feathers apparently.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,513,780 times
Of course Hannity and Coutler are conservatives. So are most people that make a lot of money, i.e. 300k per year or more. You want the phonies? How about all these Democratic politicians talking out of the sides of their mouths while continuing to get wealthier using the exact same tax breaks they criticize so called wealthy conservatives for taking? You want an honest liberal? Read Molly Ivins (may she rest in peace).

Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,602,664 times
Mark Levin really dry wit and sarcastic, kinda like Michael Savage, very conservative radio show host.

MarkLevinShow.com

Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM

502 posts, read 1,063,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Much of what he says is in unintentional blank or free verse.
uh... what?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,870,530 times
Default Hannity & Coulter

Coulter & Hannity live in New York City. Slick, Manhattan-esque, Maidson Avenue. They are not real people from middle America. They both wear designer clothes(not Jc Penney), drive expensive cars, shop at Bloomies,
entertain at the finest hotels. In what fashion are they like the poor dumb
right wing hick down in Texas? No offense Texas, but you did give us Bush.
Madison Avenue is doing very well with Fox News. Its news that many people who don't know very much want to see. They are good entertainers but I have never thought they were real but just slick performers who want to make a lot of money. I don't think a real conservative could take the pressure
of living in such a diverse place as Manhattan.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 AM

20,238 posts, read 19,803,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
out to make conservatives look stupid and hateful....
What commentators do you think make conservatives look intelligent and loving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies