Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
she is being denied a diploma unless she apologizes.

where is this school rule written which forbids the use of the word 'hell'?
Depending on how hard she wants to fight this - that is a good question and she should ask it if she files a lawsuit.

But - she also agreed to use the word "heck" prior to giving the speech - and she was under no obligation to give the speech - the second best student could have done the same thing - and used language that the school deemed more appropriate.

If she can't get along with school rules - she will have a hard time keeping a job when she gets into the real world.

I have no problem with her choice of words - I'm just noting that the school did - and she chose to ignore their rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Maybe the principal should write an apology for being a jerk.
I had the same initial reaction.

I think the school is being rather silly myself - but I took another look at it - and realized that she had a written speech that was approved by the school - and she deviated from that draft.

I could advocate for either side - both the girl and the principal acted immaturely.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Depending on how hard she wants to fight this - that is a good question and she should ask it if she files a lawsuit.

But - she also agreed to use the word "heck" prior to giving the speech - and she was under no obligation to give the speech - the second best student could have done the same thing - and used language that the school deemed more appropriate.

If she can't get along with school rules - she will have a hard time keeping a job when she gets into the real world.

I have no problem with her choice of words - I'm just noting that the school did - and she chose to ignore their rule.
again - you continue to claim there's a rule, but can't cite it?

seems odd.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
again - you continue to claim there's a rule, but can't cite it?

seems odd.
From your link:

Quote:
"In the version she submitted to the school for approval, "hell" was "heck." But in the version she delivered at graduation, "hell" it was."
Surely you know that schools require such speeches to be approved by the school - don't you?

And so hers was.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
From your link:

Surely you know that schools require such speeches to be approved by the school - don't you?

And so hers was.
so where is the rule that states one may not deviate one iota from the submitted text?

i'm not seeing it.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
so where is the rule that states one may not deviate one iota from the submitted text?

i'm not seeing it.
Why don't you find a copy of the school regulations and provide that information for us - if you are so interested.

All you and I have is that article you linked to - which indicates that the speech was approved, she deviated from it, and that is why the diploma is being withheld.

Do I really have to explain inferences to you?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
I had the same initial reaction.

I think the school is being rather silly myself - but I took another look at it - and realized that she had a written speech that was approved by the school - and she deviated from that draft.

I could advocate for either side - both the girl and the principal acted immaturely.
You know what .... she is the smartest kid in her year and she graduated with a 4.0. Yes, she behaved immaturely. 18 year olds do that. Principals should be a little more mature. Why make an issue out of one word which most people will have forgotten about 5 seconds after she said it? Seems to me that this is more about a Principal on a power trip than anything else. A smart Principle would have looked to develop a positive relationship with the student so that she could be a role model going forward. She will probably end up writing that apology but the school and the Principal have just lost any goodwill. The publicity and word of mouth will have caused much more damage to the reputation of the school and the Principal than that one little word.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I dont have a problem with schools wanting to maintain a certain level of decorum in official school sanctioned events. Should the ramifications of going off script be known before hand? Yes, probably.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
hell, that's just stupid.
I would have denied her diploma just for using "Twilight" as an inspiration. Valedictorians can't even come up with something original? how sad.

20yrsinbRANSON

Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You know what .... she is the smartest kid in her year and she graduated with a 4.0. Why make an issue out of one word which most people will have forgotten about 5 seconds after she said it? Seems to me that this is more about a Principal on a power trip than anything else. A smart Principle would have looked to develop a positive relationship with the student so that she could be a role model going forward. She will probably end up writing that apology but the school and the Principal have just lost any goodwill. The publicity and word of mouth will have caused much more damage to the reputation of the school and the Principal than that one little word.
I agree - but technically the school is on solid footing here.

The principal seems to have issues - maybe he just wanted attention - no matter how negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies