Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would not want to be defending either argument. Teenagers can no longer just lie about their ages.
But they can lie about citizenship.

I'm not arguing for this kind of oversight. You asked a question, I gave you the answer.

Should the US militarys standards of enlistment processing and checking be better? Yep, I'd say so.

When I joined, I had a TS security clearance, so I had slightly more paperwork to fill out and to prove who I was. But if you're going in to drive trucks, or clean planes, there is no security check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You're mistaken if you think this is just a California problem. Just look at what happened to agriculture in Alabama and South Carolina when they passed their harsh anti-hispanic immigrant bills. Nose dive and crops rotting in the fields.
Do you know of any crops in short supply here? I don't. These were basically stories made up to try and argue for continued illegal immigration.

We have a system to allow in migrant workers legally. If that system is failing, you fix it, you don't just decide to do nothing and open the borders.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do you know of any crops in short supply here? I don't. These were basically stories made up to try and argue for continued illegal immigration.

We have a system to allow in migrant workers legally. If that system is failing, you fix it, you don't just decide to do nothing and open the borders.

Yeah, corn.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You're mistaken if you think this is just a California problem. Just look at what happened to agriculture in Alabama and South Carolina when they passed their harsh anti-hispanic immigrant bills. Nose dive and crops rotting in the fields.

What will eventually happen is a combination of two things, labor prices will go up and farmers will switch to crops which can be machine harvested. That will mean whole categories of crops will simply cease to be farmed in the US and instead will be imported from 3rd world countries. I don't think that is a good solution but it is the natural result of cracking down on immigration.
There are no limits on H2A visas and there are fewer than 800,000 total jobs in farming -- for the entire nation. Farm work doesn't begin to explain the 20-30 million illegals living in this country.

Also the drought is the biggest problem with the crops this summer, we certainly don't need a lot of illegal farm workers this year.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If I was a prisoner, I would certainly want to be doing something useful with my time. Get out in the fresh air, onto a farm -- that would have to be a lot better than laying around inside 4 walls all day. It would remind me of my childhood and youth when I picked fruit and did farm work. It was fun.
I also worked as a kid harvesting scallions in California to supplement my weekly allowance. Later I worked detasseling corn in Nebraska. It paid better than working at fast-food joints.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Besides -- California has the most illegals anywhere and isn't trying to have immigration laws enforced, so why would California crops be affected by immigration laws?

There is nothing at all preventing the millions of illegals living in California from picking crops.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Besides -- California has the most illegals anywhere and isn't trying to have immigration laws enforced, so why would California crops be affected by immigration laws?

There is nothing at all preventing the millions of illegals living in California from picking crops.
Except distance. How many poor folks live in Los Angeles without a car, or the money to get transportation to those farms?

Its not the lack of workers we suffer from, its the infrastructure to get them to the farms. If you're living on welfare, its hard to afford a car.

Michigan used to put their workers on buses, and drive them up to an hour or more away from Detroit so they could work jobs in other places.

I'm curious if California does the same thing. If they do, then your argument is sound. If they don't, then what are they supposed to do, walk 60 miles or more every day? Housing is expensive in the country in California from what I understand.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Except distance. How many poor folks live in Los Angeles without a car, or the money to get transportation to those farms?

Its not the lack of workers we suffer from, its the infrastructure to get them to the farms. If you're living on welfare, its hard to afford a car.

Michigan used to put their workers on buses, and drive them up to an hour or more away from Detroit so they could work jobs in other places.

I'm curious if California does the same thing. If they do, then your argument is sound. If they don't, then what are they supposed to do, walk 60 miles or more every day? Housing is expensive in the country in California from what I understand.
The illegals could make it all the way from Chiapas and Zacatecas but they can't get from Los Angeles to the farms? Yeah some excuse.

California has no shortage of illegals -- so what is up with the crops not getting picked? Or are the illegals getting too fat and lazy living it up on welfare handouts so don't feel any need to work?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Maybe, but I haven't seen a bill signed by anyone to do that just yet.

I don't like farm subsidy, should be ended.
Right. Because we should screw around with the one thing in this nation that's actually working.

In a time of uncertainty, with fluctuations in OPL and widening tax burden on a shrinking number of people we should mess with food.

The United States enjoys the widest variety of foods at the lowest cost per household of any place in the world. Further, by maintaining agri-independence we strengthen our global strategic position, lend some foundational grounding to the market and allow those pesky, pesky poor people to...y'know...eat.

Agri-policy works. You know how I know? Go to a freakin' grocery store...you don't pay 40% of your income on food, do you?

With so many challenges facing us can we please refrain from tinkering with the unbroken?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The illegals could make it all the way from Chiapas and Zacatecas but they can't get from Los Angeles to the farms? Yeah some excuse.

California has no shortage of illegals -- so what is up with the crops not getting picked? Or are the illegals getting too fat and lazy living it up on welfare handouts so don't feel any need to work?

How far is Chiapas and Zacatecas? I don't know.

I do know that people who live an hour away or more from a farm, by car, can't be expected to get there by foot.

Buy a bus, drive them to the farm. I guarantee you its cheaper to do that, then it is to pay them all welfare while they aren't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies