Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever' - US* Business News - CNBC

The prisons are full of able bodied people. Seems like a simple solution. Put shock collars on them with GPS trackers and correction jolts if they get out of line. Time for these guys to start earning a living.
I thought it was the envirocrazies refusing to give them access to water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
California is full of able bodied illegal immigrants, but they don't want to do the work. This whole idea of needing illegals to do slave labor, to pity them, and rationalize keeping them here was always propaganda.
Anybody who has actually walked the ground in Northern California knows this to be true. Black market/ grey market/ narcotics trade trumps day labor. Take a walk through any village in Humboldt County...you tell me what they're there for...it ain't agribusiness.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, corn.
Not because it's rotting in the fields unpicked.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
Anybody who has actually walked the ground in Northern California knows this to be true. Black market/ grey market/ narcotics trade trumps day labor. Take a walk through any village in Humboldt County...you tell me what they're there for...it ain't agribusiness.
We have to clean that state out from border to border. California used to be a beautiful place, how did it come to this?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
Quote:
We have to clean that state out from border to border. California used to be a beautiful place, how did it come to this?

Unchecked, pie-in-the-sky, spend-before-taxing loony leftism. The stuff that goes on, on an everyday basis, in California gives responsible liberalism and centrism a bad name. Policies that could be both fiscally responsible and socially progressive are eschewed for options so far to the left that Scandinavians would be embarassed to own them.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever' - US* Business News - CNBC

The prisons are full of able bodied people. Seems like a simple solution. Put shock collars on them with GPS trackers and correction jolts if they get out of line. Time for these guys to start earning a living.
No, just let the market take care of this problem. Food prices will align with the costs (including labor) of farming. Then there will be plenty of workers.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
This is why most businessmen fear the market. the market, if left alone, would set real prices to cover real costs including limited profit.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:

Privatize the prisons, so they can get free labor and "compete" This way their shareholders and CEO can benefit from increased profit. Then, the shareholders and CEO can support stricter laws and use their increased profits to sway (buy) politicians to enact them to increase more free labor into their prisons thus benefiting them more. What was that thread about "corporate culture"?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Maybe, but I haven't seen a bill signed by anyone to do that just yet.

I don't like farm subsidy, should be ended.
But think of what this would do to Canadian families!

But think of what this would do to the Canadian Peoples! You need to remember the American taxpayer (that is you) pays for up to 50% of some of the items purchased by Canadians who visit just in order to take advantage of taxpayer funded foodstuffs.

In case you think I am trolling I'm not. Canadians are flocking to a Costco store in Bellingham, Wash

Tell me what you think of this.

I like the idea of a two tiered minimum wage.

Those working at McDonalds and similar establishments get $8/hr and we call that a living wage for those that don't like working hard.

Then there is a second minimum wage and let's put that at $20/hr if you work as a farm employee. In fact I like the idea of $25/hr.

Seriously, in my opinion a farm laborer being paid $20/hr is not being overpaid. Every try it? It's hot, it's dirty, it's humid and nasty work not for the faint of heart or the Nancy Boys, those brought up to believe they were born mommy's precious little snowflake, that would prefer to work the fries counter at McDonald's. You want a man's wage? Good, do a man's work and you should be able to get it.

One of the things we need to throw out though is the 40 hour week. Farming is 50 hours a week but let's have a minimum pay of $20/hr where a standard week is 50 hours. Any kid willing to work hard can earn $1,000/week in wages.

I hear your argument against my idea so let me address it now. You are afraid if we triple wages paid to farm laborers the cost of your food will triple. This is not true.

The Costs and Benefits of a Raise for Field Workers - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Philip Martin, a labor economist at the University of California, Davis, is the author, most recently, of “Importing Poverty? Immigration and the Changing Face of Rural America.”

snip

Consumers who pay $1 for a pound of apples are giving 30 cents to the farmer and 10 cents to the farm worker; those spending $2 for a head of lettuce are giving 50 cents to the farmer and 16 cents to the farm worker.
So if we quadrupled the wages paid to the farm worker the cost of a head of lettuce would raise just 45 cents from $2.00 to around $2.45.

So the whole idea we enjoy low food prices due to illegal labor is just hogwash.

The idea farm workers are underpaid, that they earn $7.00/day which isn't enough to pay for the gasoline to get them to the job, is rubbish. In Georgia the average farm worker around Vidalia earns $400 to $500 per week. While it is more than $7.00/day I think it should be closer to $200/day.

So my question would be is there enough younger workers in America today that would jump at the chance to earn $1,000/week doing an honest, but very tough, job? I think there are.

You figure there might be some 35 year old unemployed family man types who have exhausted their unemployment insurance that might just jump at the chance to earn an honest $1,000/week? I have to think we could find a few. Maybe more than a few.

Picking lettuce, it's a job any of us would do if the money was right. Might be you would turn up your nose but comes a point where you would do it. Suppose I offered to pay you $500/hr to pick lettuce? What if I offered to pay $1,000/hr? Yeah, I would do that and most likely you would too.

Here is how we fix a multitude of problems.

Institute a two tiered minimum wage system.

All undocumented (illegal workers) get deported.

End the food stamp and welfare program. Sorry, Nancy Boy, time for you to go do a man's job for a man's wages. If you don't want to work then don't.... it's a free country and you are free to starve to death if you so desire.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The core of the "corporate culture" is a few free owners controlling masses of slave labor.

The previous post proves my point. All we have to do is use starvation to force people to work for someone else's profit. Now that is a free country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies