Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should inheritances be illegal?
Yes. Inheritances should be illegal. 11 3.61%
No. Inheritances should be legal. 291 95.41%
Not sure 3 0.98%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Ah, so you're in favor of forcing people to engage in the wage economy.
No, you can still buy, run, and build business. You can still engage in any economic activity you want, and NOT get taxed for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 01:39 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Why would anyone vote yes? You don’t want your family heirlooms, let alone any money, assets, boats, cars, etc that they leave behind?

Some inheritances should be taxed, but nothing should be double taxed, meaning if the money already paid income or other forms of taxes, then it should pass over tax free. If it’s a million dollars in Apple stock originating from the 1980’s, then it should probably be taxed.

I voted yes. A house can have value for several generations if it is taken care of. But we are talking about money. Money is a means of exchange, it shouldn't be used to "store value" as many mistakenly believe. Can you store food or a specific technology for the next generation? Of course not, you cannot store value with money either. All goods and services are given value and after a few years they lose it, with very specific exceptions.

Savings, like capital should have a purpose within the economy only, not for power and influence of a small group. Not so a few can have advantages over others.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Depends on the car.

Fox body mustangs are popular drag cars in NY.

I've shipped 3 from Florida back to NY. Bought them locally, 2 for 350 a piece, 1 for 500.
1200 in shipping.
350+400=750
350+400=750
500+400=900

Sold them for 2500 a piece.
1,750 profit x2
1,600 profit x1

No rust. No rot. I didn't touch them other than load them on a trailer bring them to my house and drop them in the back yard until the shipping dude swung by.

I know the market in certain areas of NY. Florida is a gold mine with rust free cars.
I'll scoop them up cheap all day long and ship them back to guys willing to pay up to 10k for a hot rod project, race car, or restoration project.

I wasn't talking about classic cars in good conditions, I was talking about the average beat up family car from 1990. Are they worth anything?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I wasn't talking about classic cars in good conditions, I was talking about the average beat up family car from 1990. Are they worth anything?
They weren't in good condition LOL they had paint sun blasted off, 2 didn't run, 1 did. Poorly. They body's were rust free that's all that mattered. Interiors were crap.

Average beat up car? Like a 90 caprice? Throw a lift kit and 22s, 24s,26s on it list it for sale in a the city you'll fetch big money. Especially with a candy apple or custom paint job. Even more with subwoofers in the trunk. Pay 300-500 for a caprice. 2k in wheels and tires. Lift it. Throw a thousand in a stereo system. A thousand in paint.
Fetch 5-6,000 all day long. Some sell for 10k+
Chevy caprice
Buick road master
Hell yeah I could make money off of those. Take them down to Miami have them sold before the day is done.

Again. Depends on the vehicle and depends on the market.
Pickups get big money rust free. Especially with a V8 and 4 speed stick.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I heard a conservative claim that most liberals believe inheritances should be illegal. I told him that I was sure he was mistaken, and that the argument is over inheritance taxes on very large estates, not simply inheritances themselves.

Who's right? And should it be illegal to inherit money?

Of course he's mistaken. Probably, like most so-called conservatives, he turns to unreliable sources that provide him with a pack of lies.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,644 times
I dont understand his logic either, I personally had an inheritance @ 24 and havnt had to work a day since. They wanted to provide this opportunity for me, why should I not have the right to it? Why should I have been taxed additionally? Its absolutely crazy that people say people shouldn't be eligible to have inheritance because it isn't fair to everyone.

*** offfffff with all that. We live and have children with the ideals to make the next generations life better than ours was. right? There a lot of things I disagree with our society beliefs changing, one is the "equal share of wealth distribution" No. I do not believe rich people should be taxed 10x more than poor people or whatever the rate is. Flat tax for everyone, if you get an inheritance, that is what it is.

I went to college and everyone there wants universal healthcare, free college, want us to be like every other nation and its awful.
Work hard and try and pass your work onto your children. All I can say to that.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:17 PM

16,584 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I voted "yes" and I'm not liberal. So I'll explain. If we have any government tax at all on individuals, I think it should be an inheritance tax. We should have no "income" tax. The income tax is an absolute killer. Generational wealth and corruption are built through inheritances. The amount a person is permitted to inherit should be limited to a modest primary residence, and enough for higher education. That's it. Every man should earn his way.

Sure your not.
So the family can keep their home, so long as it is "modest"?

I love these people who use terms like "permitted" this or that, as if the state(i.e. the collective) is a better place to put our faith, than our own free will and that of God.
Then again in a communists world, freedom, firearms, and religion all need to be suppressed, otherwise they cannot ply their benevolent form of slavery.

`

Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Much of this thread was spent discussing the morality of inheritance. It's very theoretical, but the second poster seemed to be arguing that inheritance is immoral and perhaps should be banned.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...orce-good.html

Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I've never heard any liberal say anything against inheritance.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
It's not required but if ones parent decides they want to pass down some of their savings to their offspring, I don't think they're going to say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies