Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should inheritances be illegal?
Yes. Inheritances should be illegal. 11 3.61%
No. Inheritances should be legal. 291 95.41%
Not sure 3 0.98%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think they should be heavily taxed.
Why would you think that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why would you think that?
Because I don't think that allowing wealthy people to transfer large sums of wealth to their relatives without paying a lot of taxes is good for this society.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
if they earned it, should it not be taxed as earned income? If it was a "job" to take care of a family member, why should they not pay an income tax. Your argument just lends itself to more of a reason to tax it.
it has already been taxed!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Without an inheritance, John Kerry would never have afforded to run for President. And it wasn't even his... but that of Ta rai za

Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Because I don't think that allowing wealthy people to transfer large sums of wealth to their relatives without paying a lot of taxes is good for this society.
The taxes have already been paid on that money...Give me one good reason why it should be taxed twice.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The taxes have already been paid on that money...Give me one good reason why it should be taxed twice.
No it hasn't the person who paid taxes is DEAD. The person who is getting the money has not paid any taxes on that money.

So the inheritor will be paying taxes once. Anything else?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I heard a conservative claim that most liberals believe inheritances should be illegal. I told him that I was sure he was mistaken, and that the argument is over inheritance taxes on very large estates, not simply inheritances themselves.

Who's right? And should it be illegal to inherit money?

Of course not, that's ridiculous. And I think estates are the wrong thing to tax - I think the inheritance should be taxed at the heir's personal tax rate (which usually is much lower than the estate tax rate) when cash is realized.

So if someone inherits things (other than cash), I would defer taxes indefinitely without interest until cash is realized. Nobody would ever have to sell an inherited farm or business to pay taxes

Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
it has already been taxed!!!!!!!!
No you silly rabbit, the deceased's income was taxed, the inheritor isn't taxed until they receive the inheritance i.e., income.

Your argument is akin to arguing that you shouldn't have to pay an individual income tax because the money that your employer uses to pay you has/or will be taxed.

Money isn't taxed just the person receiving it.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No you silly rabbit, the deceased's income was taxed, the inheritor isn't taxed until they receive the inheritance i.e., income.

Your argument is akin to arguing that you shouldn't have to pay an individual income tax because the money that your employer uses to pay you has/or will be taxed.

Money isn't taxed just the person receiving it.
It is a thoroughly ridiculous argument and so called elected conservative officials support this line of thinking.

The level of lying and fantasy thinking is just amazing. I mean look I don't necessarily care about taxation rates all that much. Heck I could even support no income taxes or even a corporate taxes, but conservatives just lie so much about everything. It is difficult to believe anything they say.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:

Let's say you buy a $100K house on the Jersey Shore in the 1970s. You die 50 years later and the house is worth $2M. Your heir(s) enjoy a $1.9M gain tax-free (the estate is also not taxed if it does not exceed (?) $3M.)

Now another approach I propose is that if capital gains should not be taxed because the original investment was made with post-tax dollars (i.e. the originaL money was already taxed), we should not start taxing people until they earn enough money that capital gains are possible. But we all know that will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies