Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should inheritances be illegal?
Yes. Inheritances should be illegal. 11 3.61%
No. Inheritances should be legal. 291 95.41%
Not sure 3 0.98%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I heard a conservative claim that most liberals believe inheritances should be illegal. I told him that I was sure he was mistaken, and that the argument is over inheritance taxes on very large estates, not simply inheritances themselves.

Who's right? And should it be illegal to inherit money?
I think inheritances should be legal, however I think the law should not facilitate or allow for families to stay wealthy in perpetuity. If you want to take care of your children that is great. If you want to take care of your grand children that is also great. If you want to ensure descendants that are born decades after you have died stay perpetually wealthy I think that causes societal problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
of course, if someone buys a house in 1980 and it then goes up in value, tax must be levied on it's sale or transference of owner as it would in an inheritance.

this is perfectly fair and it is not a double dip type deal.
I bought my house in 1997 for $200,000, and today it's worth $500,000....If I decide to sell it, or it is left to my kids, there will be no tax to pay on it, not even on the capital gain, because as it's my principal residence it is tax exempt...

This thread has been an eye opener, as I had no idea that our tax laws were so different.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think inheritances should be legal, however I think the law should not facilitate or allow for families to stay wealthy in perpetuity. If you want to take care of your children that is great. If you want to take care of your grand children that is also great. If you want to ensure descendants that are born decades after you have died stay perpetually wealthy I think that causes societal problems.
Grandkids usually end up blowing Grandpas inheritance. It's usually the Old 3 generation rule...

1st Generation works hard and earns it.
2nd Generation just tries to maintain and not blow it.
3rd Generation has no sense of value and recklessly spends it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Grandkids usually end up blowing Grandpas inheritance. It's usually the Old 3 generation rule...

That is pretty much my thoughts on it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I bought my house in 1997 for $200,000, and today it's worth $500,000....If I decide to sell it, or it is left to my kids, there will be no tax to pay on it, not even on the capital gain, because as it's my principal residence it is tax exempt...

This thread has been an eye opener, as I had no idea that our tax laws were so different.
In America we have rule 1014. It basically wipes out capital gains passed by death. My grandfather used it to great effect with a massive amount of stock.

26 USC § 1014 - Basis of property acquired from a decedent | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

w/out estate tax and other rules there are devices you can use to prevent individual acts of stupid by a single generation from wreaking an estate. In the end though you do have this problem...unless of course there is primogeniture.

http://scholarship.law.ufl.edu/cgi/v...n%20problem%22

See page 797.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
In America we have rule 1014. It basically wipes out capital gains passed by death. My grandfather used it to great effect with a massive amount of stock.

26 USC § 1014 - Basis of property acquired from a decedent | LII / Legal Information Institute
Rule 1014, unless I'm not understanding it correctly seems to be a means of evaluating property and assets prior to taxing it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Inheriting money is un-American IMO. But you won't hear the rich pukes who scream about welfare and unions admit that they were given free money off someone else's work.
Ummmmm... Who should I leave my hard earned $$ too?? My kids got degrees - graduate degrees. They aren't collecting welfare however one as a professor does pay union dues. My parents left me $$ I'll leave my kids $$ and hopefully one day that cycle shall continue. And we've all worked very very hard

Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
That is pretty much my thoughts on it.
At least the 3rd generation is stimulating the economy by buying fast cars, loose women, alcohol & drugs.

Giving it to the Govt is far less useful.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Rule 1014, unless I'm not understanding it correctly seems to be a means of evaluating property and assets prior to taxing it.
This is probably an easier to understand description pardon it being from wikipedia.

Stepped-up basis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies