Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I see the handlers of the radical right have instructed their minions to "go forth and shout it from the rooftops and in the ears of all who would listen" Obama raised taxes!!! This is a tried and true strategy that has been used by all political parties against their opponents since Cain and Abel disagreed on how the family farm should be run. No truth to it at all, but you tell a lie over and over and when people finally expose it for what it is, you change the wording and retell the same lie. "My opponent will raise your taxes, my candidate will cut your taxes". It's the oldest cut and paste political message there is.
Saying Obama raises taxes with the mandate and PGHquest's circular logic is the same as claiming that "Jesus Christ raised your taxes!!!" The logic is that he started a new religion that fostered revolt and rebellion in the empire, thereby causing new troops to be dispatched to the troublesome areas requiring the Roman Senate to raise taxes on the middle class to pay for the troops. Jesus swore he would stay out of the finances of the government when he said, "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God, the things that are God's", But he LIED! He ended up raising taxes for everybody. That no good Hypocrite! Lets hang his ass. Better yet, lets crucify him!

My point is, you guys start thread after thread trying to push your circular logic and my bet is most arn't buying it. You'll need to develop a different angle if you intend to close the credibility gap this election cycle.
Once again, SCOTUS called the individual mandate a tax. The individual mandate did not exist before Obamacare. New individual mandate=new tax=Obamacare causes a raise in taxes.

Is that simple enough? It seems pretty simple to me, and I'm neither "radical right" nor "radical left." Feel free to show me the error in the above equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I never said your company was going to go broke, I said the taxes will be passed onto your company and your company will pass them onto the consumer. The fact that they wont go broke, doesnt mean they arent there.
And it doesn't mean it's a big deal.

Quote:
If this isnt true, then tell me how Obamacare raises $600 BILLION in new tax revenues..
Probably because just like my health care that I pay for, obamacare will need to be funded.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Once again, SCOTUS called the individual mandate a tax. The individual mandate did not exist before Obamacare. New individual mandate=new tax=Obamacare causes a raise in taxes.

Is that simple enough? It seems pretty simple to me, and I'm neither "radical right" nor "radical left." Feel free to show me the error in the above equation.
Yes you're right. The Obamacare legislation raised taxes based on what the Supreme court determined the mandate penalty to be. Just as Jesus Christ raised taxes in the Roman empire by fostering a radical new religion. Both examples are the same kettle of fish.
But Jesus never presided over the Roman Senate and pushed through a 2% tax increase on Colliseum tickets nor has Obama and the Democrats legislated a 2% tax increase on any existing taxes.

I can easily say that Republicans with their Superpacs have raised taxes on the middle class. the Superpac money comes from rich corporate donors. It is in the hundreds of millions of dollars and may well total a billion by the time this is all over with. Corporations will raise the prices of their goods and services to offset the money they contributed to republicans. Since poor people don't buy much of anything, the offset will come from middle class consumers. Hence the republican superpacs are responsible for raising taxes on the middle class. BINGO!!!!! PGHQuest's circular logic applied to the Republican Superpacs.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-22-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
tax increases in Obamacare which will affect the middle class

Tax increases signed by Obama into law
$17B new taxes for those who do not purchase health insurance
$52B new taxes for those who fail to comply with government insurance mandates
$32B in a new 40% exercise tax on high cost health plans
$5B cost of new ban on over the counter drugs using money from FSAs, HSAs, HRA's.
$210.2B Increased medicare taxes on wages and self employed income by .9% and imposes a 3.8% surtax on other investment income.
$15.2B cost due to an increase from 7.5% to 10% of income in threahold after which individuals can deduct out of pocket medical expenses
$13B due to a $2,500 annual cap on FSA contributions
$60.1B in new taxes on health insurances
$27B annual tax on brand name pharmaceuticals
$20B tax from a 2.3% excise tax on medical devices
$2.7B tax from a 10% tax on tanning services
$2.6B tax on insured and self insured health plans
$1.4B penalty tax on non qualified HSA distributions
$4.5B tax due to the elimination of a deduction for expenses allocatable to Medicare Part D subsidy
$600M tax due to limited deductions for compensation to officers, employers and directors of health insurance providers
$17.1B to require information reporting on payments to corporations.
$400M to impose additional requirements for section 501(c)(3) for hospitals
$23.6B tax credit removed a "black liquor" needed for cellulosic biofuel producer.
$4.5B Codify economic substance doctrine and impose penalties for underpayments.
$65.5B tax hikes in the SCHIP bill
$6.97B tax hike in the stimulus bill to repeal guidance allowing taxpayers to claim losses from acquired corporations
$2.578B tax hike in unemployment benefits law creating a surcharge tax extension through 6/11
$20.123B cost to delay the rules to reduce the double taxation of american employers until 2018.

And no amount of hate you post will make this not true
Correct, since it is not correct to begin with
But any time someone asked you to address them item by item you fail to do so, simply repeating yourself does not equate to proof, or didn't anyone tell you that?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes you're right. The Obamacare legislation raised taxes based on what the Supreme court determined the mandate penalty to be. Just as Jesus Christ raised taxes in the Roman empire by fostering a radical new religion. Both examples are the same kettle of fish.
But Jesus never presided over the Roman Senate and pushed through a 2% tax increase on Colliseum tickets nor has Obama and the Democrats legislated a 2% tax increase on any existing taxes.

I can easily say that Republicans with their Superpacs have raised taxes on the middle class. the Superpac money comes from rich corporate donors. It is in the hundreds of millions of dollars and may well total a billion by the time this is all over with. Corporations will raise the prices of their goods and services to offset the money they contributed to republicans. Since poor people don't buy much of anything, the offset will come from middle class consumers. Hence the republican superpacs are responsible for raising taxes on the middle class. BINGO!!!!! PGHQuest's circular logic applied to the Republican Superpacs.
Not sure what the fascination with Jesus Christ is in your responses, but we'll skip that part.

As to the rest of your argument, are you saying that a new tax that didn't exist before isn't considered a raise in taxes because it never existed before? I assure you, a 2% new tax would feel the exact same to my wallet as a 2% increase on an existing tax.

As for your Superpac argument, I haven't seen any legislation forcing them to donate. However, there is legislation forcing U.S. citizens to participate in Obamacare.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yes but how is this tied to the middle class....? So you guys are tying this together because businesses are passing the costs on to consumers....

Are all businesses run by millionaires? Are there no middle class business owners that have a couple of employees that they will now have to get insurance for or pay the tax? After all the business expenses are paid including the employee wages, there may not be enough to pay hundreds of dollars a month to health insurance to their employees. Therefore, they will have to pay the TAX. That is called a tax increase. The wealthy business people can afford it and that's fine. I worry about the small business people. They will either have to limit their number of employees or limit how big they can grow their business. Call it a tax or call it a penalty. But, whatever it is, it is anti-business and anti-jobs. obama doesn't understand this because he has never run a business. Nor does he seem to care since he thinks the government is what builds businesses anyway and not individuals, families, or other partnerships.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Are all businesses run by millionaires? Are there no middle class business owners that have a couple of employees that they will now have to get insurance for or pay the tax? After all the business expenses are paid including the employee wages, there may not be enough to pay hundreds of dollars a month to health insurance to their employees. Therefore, they will have to pay the TAX. That is called a tax increase. The wealthy business people can afford it and that's fine. I worry about the small business people. They will either have to limit their number of employees or limit how big they can grow their business. Call it a tax or call it a penalty. But, whatever it is, it is anti-business and anti-jobs. obama doesn't understand this because he has never run a business. Nor does he seem to care since he thinks the government is what builds businesses anyway and not individuals, families, or other partnerships.
So all of that is tied to the middle class? I'm just trying to make sense of the thread title.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
That statement just confirms that you either a) didn't read the list or b) you didn't have a clue what you just read. Either way, it would explain your voting preferences. There is nothing to defend it's so clear. WOW!
The Ghost makes a point of doing what he is doing now. He knows that every middle class member of our society will get hit by most of those taxes but unless it says middle class on it he deflects to where he wants it to be. He calls that discussion but until someone puts those taxes out in the open for all to see, most libs haven't seen the list since they read only links from the left. There is an outstanding chance that Casper failed to read the link, also.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Considering that the Supreme Court ruled that the individual mandate is a tax, it's pretty much been defined as a tax. And considering that this particular tax didn't exist before Obamacare, it's a new tax. Hence, Obama raised taxes by forcing Obamacare down our throats. Exactly what part of this is under dispute?
Is the tax directed toward the middle class????

I'm in the middle class. I won't be paying it.

Hmmmm

Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is the tax directed toward the middle class????

I'm in the middle class. I won't be paying it.

Hmmmm
Yes you are - your health insurance will have to be government approved and you will not be able to choose to not carry insurance unless you want to pay the financial penalty. Either way - the government is requiring you to shell out money and SCOTUS called this mandate a tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies