Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What does being conservative have to do with salt?
It seems to me that I've seen conservatives almost brag that they'll eat unhealthy things just to show... I don't know... their disdain for anyone suggesting that changing something to be healthier is a bad thing.

I may have been out of line with that statement.... all I was trying to get across was that I was not the only one that stopped going to BM because of how salty their food was. I had friends that also felt that way. Honestly, I used to go there, and after eating a chicken dinner, I'd be drinking glass after glass of water. It finally dawned on me that I should probably cut them from my diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Salt is salt is salt, whether from the sea or underground (which originally came from the sea). It's all NaCl.

This Mayo Clinic author is very confused!
Is sea salt better for your health than table salt?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
Quote:
No. Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value......
........Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind certain trace minerals......

Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals
OK there's no difference? Just because sea salt has trace minerals, which are things that the standard American diet is severely deficient in, and undergoes little to no processing- it is nutritionally the SAME as processed table salt? Right.

Quote:
.......About 98% of unrefined sea salt is sodium chloride, and the other 2% contain essential trace minerals. The sea salt can contain up to 92 essential minerals, which include iron, potassium, iodine, manganese, magnesium, calcium, zinc and sulfur......

....... Iodine. The daily recommended amount for iodine differs in individuals:

Babies up to 1 year old only require between 40 to 50 micrograms per day.
Children between 1 to 3 only require 70 micrograms.
Children between 4 to 6 require 90 micrograms.
Children between 7 to 10 require about 120 micrograms.
Children 11 and over as well as most adults require about 150 micrograms.
Pregnant women require 175 micrograms.
Nursing mothers require 200 micrograms.

1 tsp. of unrefined sea salt contains roughly about 10 micrograms of iodine, while iodized salt can contain as much as 400 micrograms per tsp.
Therefore if you want to depend on your salt shaker to provide you with these recommended requirements you will end up overdosing on one ingredient or not get enough of the other. For if you want to obtain your recommended amount of sodium from your salt, then you would be overdosing on the iodine if you were to use iodized table salt. An overdose on iodine can lead to thyroid cancer and thyroid disease.
http://www.livingfood101.com/index/u...tablesalt.html
So, all in all, I would say sea salt wins by a small, but significant, margin- not to mention that it tastes better. I use sea salt and take a kelp tablet 225 mcg about every other day. Sea salt with iodine is also available but it is important to read the label for the iodine amount per teaspoon.

Last edited by DifferentDrum; 08-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: ETA links

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
This Mayo Clinic author is very confused!
Is sea salt better for your health than table salt?

Sea salt vs. table salt: Which is healthier? - MayoClinic.com
OK there's no difference? Just because sea salt has trace minerals, which are things that the standard American diet is severely deficient in, and undergoes little to no processing- it is nutritionally the SAME as processed table salt? Right.

So, all in all, I would say sea salt wins by a small, but significant, margin- not to mention that it tastes better. I use sea salt and take a kelp tablet 225 mcg about every other day. Sea salt with iodine is also available but it is important to read the label for the iodine amount per teaspoon.
It really doesn't. If you have high blood pressure, choosing sea salt over table salt is going to hurt you all the same.

Sea salt may have a slightly different flavor, but don't let colors and trace minerals fool you: it's still NaCl.

Sea salt has been a massive marketing gimmick.

Beside, all table salt IS sea salt. Where do you think those massive underground reservoirs came from?

As for the trace minerals, there are a hell of a lot of better ways to get them than through sea salt.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
It seems to me that I've seen conservatives almost brag that they'll eat unhealthy things just to show... I don't know... their disdain for anyone suggesting that changing something to be healthier is a bad thing.
I've noticed that too, and always find it a bit odd... I'm not the healthiest eater myself, but try to downplay that weakness instead of advertising it! And since when did eating right become a liberal thing, anyway? I guess around the same time respect and civilized behavior were redefined as "political correctness," LOL.

In reality it's just one way of being defiant, like a child who does exactly the opposite of whatever you ask - even if they really WANT to do it! What's that old expression? "Cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Quote:
I may have been out of line with that statement.... all I was trying to get across was that I was not the only one that stopped going to BM because of how salty their food was. I had friends that also felt that way. Honestly, I used to go there, and after eating a chicken dinner, I'd be drinking glass after glass of water. It finally dawned on me that I should probably cut them from my diet.
I recently started going to Boston Market (every once in a while), since we have one in my new neighborhood - and with the late hours I generally keep, the only other after-10pm options are McDonald's, Burger King, or this cheap burrito place. I figure, at least they're better than the alternatives! Usually I just get a 1/4 breast of chicken (de-boned & my dog gets the skin) with stuffing and roasted potatoes on the side. I've never found their food too salty, with the exception of the gravy... but I've been accused of salt abuse more than once in my life, so I might not be the best judge.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
I had my last meal there years ago, when I had to engage in a game of f***ing charades with the non-English speaking counter help, pointing to what I wanted and motioning for more gravy.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
...... I've never found their food too salty, with the exception of the gravy... but I've been accused of salt abuse more than once in my life, so I might not be the best judge.
When meats have been brined, they soak up a large amount of salt but it doesn't taste that salty, because it's so well integrated. If you're trying to reduce sodium but really need some saltiness, the best way is to cook the meal completely without salt, and then sprinkle a little over it at the table - that way you get a big salt bang without it being hidden away inside the food.

It's the same principle as with soup vs chips - the chips actually have less salt per serving than soup, even though they taste saltier, because the salt is all on the outside.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
First of all, Boston Market has some of the most bland tasting food in the industry. If you ever thought it tasted good in the first place, you need a taste bud transplant.

I only needed to hit that place once to learn my lesson. Yuck.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Maybe they are doing it, in relations to all the talk as of late, due to too much sodium. I say a little bit in moderation of everything. But just seems like too many overdue it.

A lot of people don't know it but cutting down on salt does help all packaged foods and box foods, are loaded with sodium, ever take a look at how much sodium, is in that stuff.

I still feel though that people know what is good and bad for them, and should be their choice!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It really doesn't. If you have high blood pressure, choosing sea salt over table salt is going to hurt you all the same.

Sea salt may have a slightly different flavor, but don't let colors and trace minerals fool you: it's still NaCl.

Sea salt has been a massive marketing gimmick.

Beside, all table salt IS sea salt. Where do you think those massive underground reservoirs came from?

As for the trace minerals, there are a hell of a lot of better ways to get them than through sea salt.
Did anybody say it wouldn't? I am "fooled" because I prefer the taste as well as the fact that trace minerals are present and iodine is absent? I posted above that sea salt is over 98% sodium chloride, so it looks like I'm not "fooled" there either! Yes, it's still 98% NaCl but it also has trace minerals- lots of them! You are trying to say that a plain donut is exactly the same as a donut with chocolate and nuts on top.

Further, most people on the Standard American Diet (SAD) do NOT eat enough varieties of foods high in trace minerals, so yes, there may be better ways but people don't use them.

It's probably best for everyone to "watch" salt use because the SAD contains a lot in packaged and canned foods already. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing for ALL of the things we eat. On the other hand a heavy user of iodized salt, of any kind, may be OD-ing on iodine.

The other consideration is getting enough salt which depends on personal food choices. If you do not eat packaged/canned foods, are watching carbs, do not use much salt in cooking or at the table, have way too much plain water to drink, and/or living/exercising in warm/hot climate you may fall victim to hyponatremia.

"Hyponatremia is the most common electrolyte disorder in the United States."
Hyponatremia: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

So, it is not a simple matter, but should be based on each individual's BP, diet, family history, exercise routine, climate, lab values, water consumption, etc.

As to the type of salt one chooses, I don't think it's a big deal either way as long as you are not OD-ing on sodium or iodine. I just happen to prefer sea salt and like the idea of getting a variety of trace minerals along with the main purpose of flavor enhancement. The choice and amount depends on a lot of personal health and dietary habit factors that will vary from individual to individual.

Even the blood pressure control argument has 2 sides- and varies for each person:

Watching daily sodium intake is important for some

November 2006

BOSTON, MA — One side says everyone needs to cut back on salt to reduce heart disease risk. The other side says universal salt reduction would be a needless deprivation for many people. Which is correct? There isn’t a simple answer.......

Daily Sodium Intake: Watching daily sodium intake is important for some - Harvard Health Publications

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
I'm sorry but really?!? Have people gotten so lazy that they can't go to the counter where the soda, straws and napkins are to put salt on their food?

I rarely get to eat Boston market because it makes me swell up like a blow fish,LOL. There is a lot of salt in their rotisserie chicken. Maybe it's me just used to not adding salt on anything except eggs and even then very little. I always look for low sodium food and find it's quite refreshing not to bite into a chunk of salt. The one and so far only thing I won't buy that has less sodium is canned soup. I have a diner I go to, not every day, and I request they not put salt in the food they prepare for me because if I want it I want to decide and control how much I have on my food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
First of all, Boston Market has some of the most bland tasting food in the industry. If you ever thought it tasted good in the first place, you need a taste bud transplant.

I only needed to hit that place once to learn my lesson. Yuck.
I totally agree and I think it's because they rely too much on the salt to be the only thing close to some sort of taste/flavor. I like my own baked chicken with low sodium and bread crumbs when I use them.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 10-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: added desertdetroiter post at bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies