Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times

Advertisements

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd take a guess I need a permit to replace a microwave. It counts as an appliance, and where I live you have to get a permit to replace an appliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Clearly you have no understanding of the foundations of classic liberalism when it comes to individual liberty through economic free markets. From your posts you appear to be a totalitarian minded collectivist who doesn't want the rules applied to himself, only to others, especially women.

Thank you once again for exposing the elitist underbelly of the neo-Marxists.
Um, OK.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Nope. It's just about everywhere.

Of course, you DO know that the whole purpose of a permit for your gazebo is to protect YOUR property values from the guy down the street who would build a 2 story monstrosity out of old beer cans if left to his own devices, don't you?
I suppose, but it seems like there ought to be a better way to discourage 2-story beer can monstrosities. Why punish me for what my neighbor isn't even thinking about doing?

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 08-22-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
WP was being disingenuous as usual. Undoubtedly the permit was not for the microwave oven but for the kitchen he was building in the 2nd floor addition. Kitchens require permits so the inspectors can check that the electrical service and plumbing were done properly as well as proper ventillation for the stove. This is to protect the current homeowner and any future purchasers from electrical fires or leaking pipes.
Disingenuous? As usual? Why the hostility?

It's kind of complicated. This is a big, old, cobbled together house. The infrastructure for a kitchen was in place upstairs before we got here. We moved a small kitchen from the second unit downstairs (because we turned that into a master bedroom) to the upstairs location. The inspector said the stove was illegal up there. Fine. I said how about a microwave oven? Nope, we need a permit for that too.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If he's built an illegal kitchen upstairs, he SHOULD be dinged on it.
The concept of an "illegal kitchen" in a family home just doesn't compute.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I live in California and have lived in two story houses and have never needed a microwave oven permit... I also know plenty of people who live in studios/small apartments that are located upstairs and they don't have to worry about it either. Can you cite this? If you're talking about needing specific wiring or plugs, then I agree, considering I know at least 2 people who have had houses get lit on fire due to out of code wiring in older houses.

We also have 3 gazebos on our property and also live in a University town and it was never an issue. One was built in the last year and we're in a VERY high visibility area and the guy who lives 2 doors down from us works for the city and issues permits, we've had him over for bbqs on several occasions and he hasn't said a thing.
My "cite" for the microwave is a conversation with a city inspector.

My "cite" for the gazebo question is an e-mail from a state official who also informed me that a contractor's license is required just to build the thing.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM

And the news this morning in my fair city is .... wait for it .... more smoking rules!!!! It's not enough that smokers are demonized, taxed, harassed at every turn, and chased away from polite society. They must be driven from the sidewalks, too.

I take a lot of heat around here for the things I want to ban. But the truth is that I would un-ban much more than I would ban.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
And the news this morning in my fair city is .... wait for it .... more smoking rules!!!! It's not enough that smokers are demonized, taxed, harassed at every turn, and chased away from polite society. They must be driven from the sidewalks, too.

I take a lot of heat around here for the things I want to ban. But the truth is that I would un-ban much more than I would ban.
And yet, on the same day, you think it's fine for a school principal to withhold a young woman's diploma because she inserted "hell" into a valedictorian speech. And your admonition was, you agreed with the school, it wasn't very ladylike of her. If she had been a he, would you have said the school was making much ado over nothing, like you think the city is making much ado over your second-floor microwave?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Permits have a place, although I think that there is a monetary aspect. Here the permit costs are determined by the project costs. When I redid my bathroom I had my step-son and son do it since one is a electitrian and the other is a plumber. So all I had to pay was the minimum fee and filing fee. Here as long as electrical, mechical or plumbing isn't being moved or altered, no permit is required to replace appliances.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And yet, on the same day, you think it's fine for a school principal to withhold a young woman's diploma because she inserted "hell" into a valedictorian speech. And your admonition was, you agreed with the school, it wasn't very ladylike of her. If she had been a he, would you have said the school was making much ado over nothing, like you think the city is making much ado over your second-floor microwave?
If she had been a he, I would still support the school.

"Who the hell knows?" is just totally classless for a valedictorian speech. That's why they approve these things beforehand, to keep the trash-talk out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies