Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
His classroom, his rules.

My dad is a retired commercial airline pilot. After 9-11 and they started allowing armed marshals and some armed pilots on planes my dad made it clear he wouldn't allow a gun his plane and would throw any armed marshal or first officer off. He's the captain - his plane, his rules.
Students pay his salary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Ticket holders fill his plane?

The school will stand behind the professor.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:

My dad is a retired commercial airline pilot. After 9-11 and they started allowing armed marshals and some armed pilots on planes my dad made it clear he wouldn't allow a gun his plane and would throw any armed marshal or first officer off. He's the captain - his plane, his rules.
I have tried a variation on that in my car. My rule is: "a**, gas, or grass; no one rides for free." After all it is MY car. It never has gone over too well and I find I've had to relax the rule with the vast majority of passengers.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Sounds like you need to enforce the rules...

Once had someone not wearing their seat belt... Going down a hill they were adjusting the seat (for leg space)... After slamming on the breaks and the passenger and seat going flying forward... they wore their seat belt. Just cost me a sore shoulder.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Students pay his salary
Not even close. Evidently you do not understand the basics of university budgets.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Interesting. I don't feel guns are need in the classroom but until you can keep the crazies from shooting up campuses then by all means CARRY-ON.
Neither do I... except for the times when a bad guy starts shooting.

When I figure out a way to predict when that will happen, I'll make sure to carry only on that day.

Until then, I'll reserve the right to carry whenever I feel like it.

As for that faculty chairman who's so afraid of law-abiding citizens with guns... as others have said, he's free to seek employment elsewhere, with people who agree with his paranoia if that's what he wants.

IIRC, there was a large group of such people (i.e. unarmed) in a theater not too far away, in Aurora, CO, a month or so ago. How did that work out for them?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve the power with the people instead of the government by ensuring that a rogue government could be put down by force if the need ever arose.
Let's see, a nurse an ultra sound tech in a hospital should have the right not to perform her duties if the conflict with her religious opinion.

But.

A professor has no right to control what enters his or her classroom when they believe that it is a matter of personal safety, or proper classroom decorum.

Got ya.

By the way, your arguments run contrary to most decisions regarding the powers of teachers over the conduct of their classrooms.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:

How many armed sky marshals did he throw off?

Did he also guarantee he would throw off any group of armed terrorists on his plane?

How did he propose to make sure of taking care of 100% of them?

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve the power with the people instead of the government by ensuring that a rogue government could be put down by force if the need ever arose.

Good!

Less of those pansy liberal progressives, teaching our youth, to be the prey of failures in life!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:

Wow. This is such a deep peak into your psyche and mentality, and where it came from, you have no idea.

First of all, America is (supposed to be anyways) a nation ruled by laws and not men. And a commercial airline pilot is an employee of an airline, and really just a bus driver who's bus simply requires more training to learn to drive. And while the "captain" of an airliner is granted certain authority for regulating the conduct of those aboard the aircraft, it is not "his plane" and he doesn't "make the rules" ... he is subject to the rules and regulations established by law and administered by the FAA. If you question that, let his "highness" attempt to order an in-flight Martini from the head steward and tell me what happens.

As for professors of a universities, they have grown so full of themselves, due in part to the leftist liberal nonsense they've been immersed in all of their lives, exacerbated no doubt by the ridiculous levels of autonomy that is granted them with tenure, that they have grown convinced that they indeed are the nation's "elite intelligencia", when all they really are, are overgrown spoiled children who made an early decision in life to never grow up and actually tackle the world as an adult. They "teach" because it's less risky and far more forgiving than actually attempting to "do", which holds the chance for failure.

But I agree that the professor in question should cancel his classes ... the students would be better off with limiting exposure to such supreme, megalomaniacal personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies