Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,635,648 times

Advertisements

among college grads.
The unemployment rate for college grads is 4.5%
The unemployment rate for high school grads is 24%.

Since the start of the "great recession" 2,000,000 jobs have been created that require college degrees.

Lumina Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,583,855 times
I want whatever you are smoking? I ran out of a that good Jamaican Ganga, give me some of that Acapulco Gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSc2NuMqJ68

Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM

876 posts, read 706,183 times
This is quote about unemployment from your link:
"The Georgetown study shows that in 2012, seven percent of graduates with a bachelor degree or better are still unemployed and another 14 percent are underemployed in jobs beneath their skill levels. By comparison, the unemployment rate for new high school graduates is 24 percent and 42 percent for those individuals are underemployed."

Where did the 4.5% come from? Man, it is irritating for people to just change stats around and then make a statement, like, "There is no recession". You must have learned that from your obama.

So, based on the study and not changing what it says, we can see that having a degree is still better than not. But, their unemployment rate is still only 1.3% better than the national average. And then, they still may be in a job that they never even needed a degree for. Still sad to me. I would hate to graduate after working hard for 4 years just to have those kind of odds.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,076,219 times
Not only are we in a recession, but all of the money that should be circulating amongst the population is held within the hands of a small minority making matters even worse.

Even if the economy picks up, there's no sign that the wealth will trickle down to the lower and middle classes enough to keep up with inflation. That means we'll either be subsidizing a large percentage of our working population, or we'll have mass civil unrest and disobedience.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,257,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
among college grads.

Since the start of the "great recession" 2,000,000 jobs have been created that require college degrees.

Lumina Foundation
I sincerely wish I could agree with you.

I have a degree, and it's in a "trendy" field (business logistics), but it was issued 41 years ago. I'll turn 63 next month, and I still want to work, but most of what I've been able to find over the last ten years has either been in "customer service" call centers -- with lots of petty issues calling for the gushiness of a 21-year-old, or in "fast pace" environments where the only thing that counts is cramming more physical and mental effort into an increasingly smaller amount of time, and it gets tougher to keep up with the young'uns every day.

Money isn't the issue -- I want to keep working because when you can't fill your time productively, you start to die. I'd love to find a suitable part-time retirement career, but HR usually isn't interested when you don't have long time horizons or heany commitments to tie you down, or are looking for a greater degree of autonomy in the workplace.

When I was younger, I made a vow that I would never let myself get into a position where I counted the days until retirement. But the current employment market just seems to pre-ordain that situation for a lot of us.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,392,432 times
Quote:
among college grads.

Lumina Foundation
There is talk of a 2nd recession hitting. All under obama's watch!

CBO Warns of a Second Recession and Rising Unemployment Under Current Law

The Congressional Budget Office, one of Washington’s most influential number crunchers, has issued a warning that a second recession could be right around the corner.

The CBO also projected that for the fourth year in a row, the federal budget deficit will top one trillion dollars.

CBO Warns of a Second Recession and Rising Unemployment Under Current Law | Fox News Insider

Second Recession in U.S. Could Be Worse Than First
If the economy falls back into recession, as many economists are now warning, the bloodletting could be a lot more painful than the last time around.

Given the tumult of the Great Recession, this may be hard to believe. But the economy is much weaker than it was at the outset of the last recession in December 2007,
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/08/bu...pagewanted=all

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,844,834 times
It's a malaise.

The economy is merely stagnant.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM

23,494 posts, read 23,835,617 times
Quote:
among college grads.

Lumina Foundation

Lumina is committed to enrolling and graduating more students from college. In fact, we are the nation’s largest foundation dedicated exclusively to increasing students’ access to and success in postsecondary education.

Yeah. No bias there. LOL

Got a source that DOESN'T rely on government handouts (e.g. student loans, in case you need that explained for you) to back up those figures?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,380,397 times
Your stats are quite different then hearing last night and early this morning, a recession expert speak.

He claims under Obama we are alredy in a recession, but people choose to call it what the hell name they wish, to avoid the word. He claims that a second recession of greater impact is going to hit and soon.

My banker and investor, told me last year, Under Obama at this time, we would be in a recession. All his talks with me, have helped me with my investments, and have helped me to make the best decisions, based on his advice, which has been right spot on.

I also heard this gentlemen state, we are quite a sad state of affairs, when the welfare numbers and food stamps is raging out of control. All under Obama's watch, who by the way, promised me, you, and everyone else, Hope n' Change, unity, prosperity, none of which has happened under his watch.

Do you realize how bad this can actually get, with a recession already in progress. It could get ugly pretty fast, for a lot of people. I suggest this time around, you vote, based on the idea of keeping your job, your home, wanting to be employed, not unemployed, businesses making profts, not closing down. And based on a economy, that can grow, but not recess back. Think long and hard, i don't want another economy like this to last another rotten 4 years, do you.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,635,648 times
I find it amusing that people will be so stuck in their beliefs that facts will have no effect on them. There is a name for these folks, we call them: Conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies