Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
So ... what does this have to do with California?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Ya'll know why all those guys died at the Alamo? Twas to preserve Slavery, yep, the Mexicans had outlawed slavery, and the freedom loving Texans did not like that one little bit, so they revolted against the lawful government of the land.
First you need to learn how to spell Y'all. Second you are absolutely clueless about your history.

Bad teachers where you went to school ?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
"Four score and four more years to go"

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Good question, Bvit.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
First you need to learn how to spell Y'all. Second you are absolutely clueless about your history.

Bad teachers where you went to school ?
too Funny, Are you a Texan pretending to be a Southerner, well you ain't, as my Georgia relatives will happily point out, and Texans ain't Westerners either, with their little turned up taco hats.

Another factoid of Texas history, That Yellow Rose of Texas? she was a mulatto prostitute, high yeller.

I would not argue history with me, ya'll will lose.

Quote:
One issue notably absent from the Texas declaration--and from all previous Alamo movies--was slavery. Almost a quarter of the original American settlers in Texas owned slaves. When the Mexican government abolished the practice, Texans viewed it as yet another infringement on their liberty. "The colonists were overwhelmingly southerners," says William C. Davis, author of Lone Star Rising: The Revolutionary Birth of the Texas Republic, "and they felt they needed slaves to capitalize on that vast arable land in the eastern part of the state." To take away slavery, they felt, was to take away Texas.

The slavery question has muddied the pristine image of the Texas revolution. John Quincy Adams, two months after the Alamo, argued on the floor of the U.S. House that "the war now raging in Texas is a Mexican civil war and a war for the re-establishment of slavery where it was abolished." Popular history never mentions it, says Davis, but in the Texas revolution "you have the same contradiction [that you do in] the Civil War, when you've got several million Confederate citizens and soldiers preaching all the rhetoric of liberty while owning 3 million slaves."
Ah reckon they don't teach that much in ya'll's Texas schools, a bit embarrassing eh?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
too Funny, Are you a Texan pretending to be a Southerner, well you ain't, as my Georgia relatives will happily point out, and Texans ain't Westerners either, with their little turned up taco hats.

Another factoid of Texas history, That Yellow Rose of Texas? she was a mulatto prostitute, high yeller.

I would not argue history with me, ya'll will lose.
And again another attempted redirection which has nothing to do with California and little to do with the issue the OP addressed. Pitiful!

Rankin, you won!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Time for a little Walker Texas Ranger

Conan OBrien - Most random Walker Texas Ranger moment ever - YouTube

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And again another attempted redirection which has nothing to do with California and little to do with the issue the OP addressed. Pitiful!

Rankin, you won!
I don't get it, Chief ... none of the thread has anything to do with California -- and this will get tossed off the board as soon as the mods see it ... soon. And .high's points are correct historically ... and do kinda peripherally fit in with the discussion -- it being a rag on a nutty Texas judge's political insanity and all.

What did Rankin win? He claimed the Alamo was not a battle for the right to perpetuate slavery ... but it was ...

Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
The scariest part to me is that a judge is saying this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies