Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times

Advertisements

I'll say the same thing I always say on this topic:

1) Ironic that it's always the people who pay little to nothing that are telling me I don't pay "my fair share" and

2) Raise my tax rates much higher than they are right now, and rather than produce and continue to strive to grow, I'm going to shut everything down once I reach the ceiling there's no incentive for me to cross and go on holiday in Europe for the rest of the year, every year. All this talk of "tax the successful!" assumes that successful individuals will lay down and take it as opposed to just saying "Alright, you want a wage salary cap? Then I'll just stop working when I hit it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
False.
That error in that USAToday report included all levels of employees, including hamburger flippers. Since the federal government hires mostly middle and skilled workers, that study is comparing apples to oranges. Average salaries don't provide a clear picture when the types of jobs are completely different. That's why I referenced the CBO study that accounts for those differences.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'll say the same thing I always say on this topic:

1) Ironic that it's always the people who pay little to nothing that are telling me I don't pay "my fair share" and

2) Raise my tax rates much higher than they are right now, and rather than produce and continue to strive to grow, I'm going to shut everything down once I reach the ceiling there's no incentive for me to cross and go on holiday in Europe for the rest of the year, every year. All this talk of "tax the successful!" assumes that successful individuals will lay down and take it as opposed to just saying "Alright, you want a wage salary cap? Then I'll just stop working when I hit it".
If you have a business and are paying taxes that means that you are making a profit. Only an idiot would shut down a profitable business to avoid paying taxes.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP
What makes me laugh is people want to increase taxes on people who make more than 200K single / 250K married. Then the same people go off on a rant on multi-millionaires and billionaires.

Do people know the difference between 200K and multi-millionaires? Also keep in mind that wall street isn't a doctors or business owners fault but yet these people are being targeted right along with the multi-millionaires and billionaires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They know. They just don't care. Anyone who makes more than they do is "rich" and therefore fair game.
That is the way I see it. Obama even did it in a recent speech within the same sentence. He referred to taxing those making 250K or more and then referred to these people as millionaires, then everyone who it blew right past applauded. The president and his followers obviously don't know the difference.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That error in that USAToday report included all levels of employees, including hamburger flippers. Since the federal government hires mostly middle and skilled workers, that study is comparing apples to oranges. Average salaries don't provide a clear picture when the types of jobs are completely different. That's why I referenced the CBO study that accounts for those differences.
Look at the cover of the study you cited. Government workers are overcompensated at all but the professional degree/doctorate level.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
If you have a business and are paying taxes that means that you are making a profit. Only an idiot would shut down a profitable business to avoid paying taxes.
Why are you surprised that anyone would balk at being a slave?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Only an idiot would think "If I keep working, I can earn this dollar - and sure, the government will take 75 cents of it, but I'll still get this quarter! I should absolutely keep working".

I, personally, don't blow so far past the current top level tax bracket level to where I'd only have to work a few days or even a few months a year. But I've long maintained this (and I *will* put my money where my mouth is): If my rates go up much higher than they are, I'll be shutting everything down in September every year, I'm gonna go lay on a beach (in another country) for a few months, and the government will be getting less from me overall than they are now.

Quote:
Yep, this is what the left is counting on.

There was a guy on TV who did just that. He had enough put aside where he said paying that much in taxes was not worth the aggravation. He said he donates to charity and he still will but it will be much less. There are more people than you think that will slim down expenses as far as they can, they will not invest more money or hire more people.

Another funny thing is it is the left that is looking to the businesses to hire them.

Last edited by eRayP; 08-23-2012 at 10:55 AM..

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Perhaps his point was that when the net of the profit after taxes is no longer worth the effort he puts in to create the net, it's time to quit. And if he's saved and invested wisely and can afford to quit, why not? Wouldn't you?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Only an idiot would think "If I keep working, I can earn this dollar - and sure, the government will take 75 cents of it, but I'll still get this quarter! I should absolutely keep working".

I, personally, don't blow so far past the current top level tax bracket level to where I'd only have to work a few days or even a few months a year. But I've long maintained this (and I *will* put my money where my mouth is): If my rates go up much higher than they are, I'll be shutting everything down in September every year, I'm gonna go lay on a beach (in another country) for a few months, and the government will be getting less from me overall than they are now.

LOL, actually I plan on doing this, a forced long vacation. It could be a good thing. I'm liking it! Actually I am thinking two overseas trips a year.

Hey, why should I be busting my a** for the government to take it away?

I am not rich but having been financially responsible and can afford to work less. As I have always said, go after rich and you will hurt the middle class. The Obama supporters have their nose so up his hinny they don't realize what is coming if he gets re-elected.

Taking what I am working for to support other people especially when they would not appreciate because it will never be enough. People who don't pay their agreed to obligations and don't want to work are the greedy people.

Last edited by eRayP; 08-23-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies