Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times

Advertisements

My fellow conservatives, Obamacare is hideous, but let's not pretend the health care system doesn't need serious reform. There's a lot right about it and there's a lot wrong with it. We can do better.

Here's a serious proposal from the much overlooked distributist perspective by Prof. John Medaille:

"The current system, consuming 16% of GDP—and rising—is simply unsustainable. Moreover, the great burden it places on our businesses makes us uncompetitive in world markets, as we have discovered in the auto industry. The status quo is no longer an option ..."

In sum, the author proposes reforming the patent protection system, ending oligarchies and monopolies, and reviving institutional medical guilds. I don't feel very competent to pass judgment, even with a degree in economics, but the ideas are worth exploring.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 08-23-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
My fellow conservatives, Obamacare is hideous, but let's not pretend the health care system doesn't need serious reform.
I think the real reform needs to come from within each of us to start exercising more, quit eating so much fat/sugar/sodium and quit blaming other people.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think the real reform needs to come from within each of us to start exercising more, quit eating so much fat/sugar/sodium and quit blaming other people.
That's important, but hardly comprehensive. Second Law of Thermodynamics, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
My fellow conservatives, Obamacare is hideous, but let's not pretend the health care system doesn't need serious reform. There's a lot right about it and there's a lot wrong with it. We can do better.

Here's a serious proposal from the much overlooked distributist perspective by Prof. John Medaille:

"The current system, consuming 16% of GDP—and rising—is simply unsustainable. Moreover, the great burden it places on our businesses makes us uncompetitive in world markets, as we have discovered in the auto industry. The status quo is no longer an option ..."

In sum, the author proposes reforming the patent protection system, ending oligarchies and monopolies, and reviving institutional medical guilds. I don't feel very competent to pass judgment, even with a degree in economics, but the ideas are worth exploring.

Great-

This is the guy who wants to allow people with little, if any, training to obtain a medical liscence. Why don't we do the same for airline pilots? We just saw the last four years of hiring a president with no training. Do we want novices in medicine? Medicine, to those who are not physicians, seems very easy, as we make it look easy due to years of training and education.

However, I would guarantee that if I put a scalpel in the hands of any one of you and asked you to do some of the things I do, there would be chaos. This is seen time and time again when marginally trained doctors (they at least have SOME training) try to overstep the limitations of their training. Such "adventures" result in patient deaths and mayhem. In our community, we recently had such an episode which went on for three years before the board whacked him.

If you want to go to someone with no training- do it. I, as a physician and occasionally a patient myself, will stick to the good docs with good training.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:

IF reform threatens the high profit levels of the health care companies, including big pharma, their well paid lobbyists, a number of them former legislators, so precisely know their way around, will fight it like mad.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great-

This is the guy who wants to allow people with little, if any, training to obtain a medical liscence ... If you want to go to someone with no training- do it. I, as a physician and occasionally a patient myself, will stick to the good docs with good training.
That is to misrepresent what the author is saying.

And be honest, doc - how much of what an ordinary general practice physician actually does in the course of his work is too difficult or dangerous for those with lesser qualifications?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF reform threatens the high profit levels of the health care companies, including big pharma, their well paid lobbyists, a number of them former legislators, so precisely know their way around, will fight it like mad.
It does, and you're right.

Perhaps health care reform is impossible until our politics is reformed first ...

Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM

From the article:

"In addition to insuring their doctors, the guild would offer insurance to the public. That is, they could offer to treat people for a fixed annual fee. This would give the guilds an income stream, but also a great incentive to insure that small problems do not go untreated to become big problems. In other words, such health insurance would actually be concerned with insuring health rather than denying claims. Further, the guilds could be required to devote a certain amount of their resources to free or low-cost care for the impoverished or indigent. The government might play a role here in qualifying people as eligible for such reduced-cost treatment, and could even pay a part of the cost."

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
It does, and you're right.

Perhaps health care reform is impossible until our politics is reformed first ...

Healthcare needs to be reformed. Obamacare does nothing to address the real problem with escalating Health insurance costs and the real problem is escalating health care costs.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Healthcare needs to be reformed. Obamacare does nothing to address the real problem with escalating Health insurance costs and the real problem is escalating health care costs.
I agree, but what do you suggest? If the response to this OP is any indication, it's no wonder that Obamacare is being foisted on us. No one has any better ideas.

(P.S. Does OP mean "original post" or "original poster"? Thanks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies