Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

A common claim made by abortion supporters is that abortion is a medical decision - and that government should not interfere with that decision.

The same people however tend to be strong proponents of PPACA -which amounts to government interference in medical decisions - as it requires that health insurance be government approved and requires people to have health insurance or pay a financial penalty.

The use of marijuana is also often a medical decision - yet its medicinal use is banned in most states

So - what makes abortion so different when precedents for government involvement with medical decisions have been set - and even supported by abortion supporters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A common claim made by abortion supporters is that abortion is a medical decision - and that government should not interfere with that decision.

The same people however tend to be strong proponents of PPACA -which amounts to government interference in medical decisions - as it requires that health insurance be government approved and requires people to have health insurance or pay a financial penalty.

The use of marijuana is also often a medical decision - yet its medicinal use is banned in most states

So - what makes abortion so different when precedents for government involvement with medical decisions have been set - and even supported by abortion supporters?
The mandate is an awful thing, and I find it disgusting.

But whats the alternative that makes people pay for healthcare that is mandated that they get?

Republicans don't have one, just keep paying for those emergency room visits for everyone.

Its either a universal healthcare system, where people are taxed to pay for it (you can limit what it will and won't pay for), or mandates.

You decide.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:36 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
I don't like the affordable care law. Something needs to be done to help control medical costs, but I don't think this was the right solution.

Medical marijuana should be allowed, in fact I believe that marijuana should be legal period.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't like the affordable care law. Something needs to be done to help control medical costs, but I don't think this was the right solution.

Medical marijuana should be allowed, in fact I believe that marijuana should be legal period.

A post of yours where I agree with you 100%.

I think that is a first!

Reps coming.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It's two seperate issues. Access and affordability vs what you can and can't do.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:

Medical decisions should be made by medical personal.
Insurance is not a medical decision. It is a payment system.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:

A post of yours where I agree with you 100%.

I think that is a first!

Reps coming.
Yep. See, us agnostic lesbians aren't all bad.

However, I also believe that ALL medical decisions should be made by the patient with guidance of their doctor. And I do mean ALL. including abortion, and end of life decisions (euthanasia if wanted in terminal cases)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yep. See, us agnostic lesbians aren't all bad.

However, I also believe that ALL medical decisions should be made by the patient with guidance of their doctor. And I do mean ALL. including abortion, and end of life decisions (euthanasia if wanted in terminal cases)
I agree, but the federal government shouldn't be in the business of mandating that those should be legal, or illegal.

Should be up to the states.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Trying to shoe horn another one of your abortion screeds is just a red herring, something that you have an uncanny penchant for doing.

Anyway, government regulations, like the rules that insurance companies use to determine reimbursement don't, I REPEAT, don't have anything to do with your medical decision, just what either is willing to pay for. If you an your doctor decide to pursue a particular course of action, nothing in the Act, or in existing insurance legislation prohibits you from pursuing whatever legal treatment that you and your doctor desire.

Nice try, but another awful fail.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM

876 posts, read 708,620 times
Quote:

True! Plu,s if the government should not be involved in a woman's right to choose, then why are they helping to pay for the abortions? If women truly want the government out of their uterus, then those women should stay out of tax payers pockets. You can't have it both ways. "Don't tell me what to do! Just help me pay for it when I decide." That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies