Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Yeah ... especially that rigorous requirement that AP students write a 20 page essay ...

Oh wait ...
What makes you think AP students don't write essays in relevant AP classes? What makes you think essays aren't part of AP exams?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How many times do you have to be told this: AP is NOT a program - it's a series of exams designed to test knowledge and college level proficiency that anyone, including IB students, can take. It's nonsensical to compare the rigors of the IB program to the rigors of the (nonexistent) "AP program" in the way you are.
Oh here we go. You're right, hammertime33. AP is NOT a program(me). Program me ...... get it?

AP courses and exams are college-level and have been vetted with U.S. Universities against 101 Freshman uni courses and exams by The College Board.

IB is college-preparatory and is sold on hearsay. "Rigor" is a relative term and the fact that "harsh and unyielding" comprise part of its definition, I do not view IB's use of the word rigor or rigorous ad nauseum, as a positive.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. That is exactly what you and many others have posted. If an IB student wants any more than a limited amount of college credit, OR wants a college-level challenge, they MUST take AP classes/exams IN ADDITION TO their IB program.

IB IS self-limiting, by design. I posted the IB website explanation that an IB Diploma student takes ONLY THREE HL classes/exams.

As even you have pointed out, IB is a college prep program - it is NOT, like AP, designed as a series of college placement exams. IB is so much more rigorous than the standard US high school course of study that every US college and university (that I'm aware of) looks at its internal testing and says, "damn, they really teach these kids in IB - we'll go ahead give them college credit and advanced placement for good scores on their high level exams and even some of their standard level exams" (and many IB students take 4 HL and 2 SL exams, not the 3/3 split). Some colleges like CU Boulder consider it so rigorous they simply give IB students extra elective credits (in addition to any specific college credit their HL (and SL for the languages) IB exam scores entitle them to) simply for having an IB diploma.

Your "self-limiting" comment is beyond absurd. I don't know any other college prep program that is treated that way by US colleges and universities. Do you? Does IB forbid its students from taking AP exams? If IB is "self-limiting" then what phrase do you use to describe the course of study undertaken by the average US high school student who takes 0 AP exams, 0 IB exams, has 0 college credits when entering college, and has to take several remedial classes just to get up to basic standards?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Link, please.
IB's own statement:
Quote:
A student pursuing the full IB Diploma will take six IB exams...

Of the six exams, three are taken at the standard level and three are taken at the higher level.
IB Students

Only the higher level IB exams are at the college level. IB Diploma students are limited to only taking 3 HL exams. Example:
Quote:
UCLA awards college credit for higher level (HL) exams only.
IB Credit - College of Letters and Science - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions

ALL AP exams are college level. Students can take as many of them as they choose.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Greetings Tinawina,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
This is one strange thread IMO. I have to say its one of the odder crusades I've ever seen on here, and that's saying something.

Anyway, I have worked in Higher Ed for years and I have never heard anyone claim that IB was inferior to AP. They are both held in high regard and are seen as 1. the same in quality or 2. IB as better. This is the first I am hearing otherwise.

The only complaint I have ever heard about IB in the admissions community was that it is not as flexible as AP. You can't pick and choose which subject you want to take, you have to do the whole thing. But that's about it. If an app from an IB student comes in, folks assume the kid is smart.

Such strangeness is getting more an more common these days. You never know what is going to be labeled as a "threat" to "American Values" anymore.
Thank you for joining the thread. It's always good to hear from those who are employed by our colleges and universities. Are you a Professor or do you work in the undergrad admissions center?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
How many times do you have to be told this: AP is NOT a program
Learn About Advanced Placement Program AP Exams and Courses
Quote:
It's nonsensical to compare the rigors of the IB program to the rigors of the (nonexistent) "AP program" in the way you are.
WHAT rigors of the IB program? IB self-admittedly limits students to only 3 college-level classes. AP does NOT limit students.

How can you possibly claim that a LIMITED program is anywhere near as rigorous as a program that lets students soar as high as they choose?

And AGAIN, you have ADMITTED that IB students must take additional AP classes/exams to even come close to the rigors provided by AP.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
As even you have pointed out, IB is a college prep program - it is NOT, like AP, designed as a series of college placement exams.
No. AP is not only exams.

Quote:
IB is so much more rigorous than the standard US high school course of study
More rigorous than the standard US high school course of study? Yes. More rigorous than AP? No. IB is self-admittedly MUCH MORE LIMITING than AP.

Quote:
Your "self-limiting" comment is beyond absurd.
An IB student is LIMITED to only 3 HL courses/exams. IB is indeed self-limiting UNLESS one steps up to the more rigorous AP program and takes extra AP classes/exams in addition to their IB program.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM

75 posts, read 52,105 times
If you IB supporters believe in the pooling of students from all academic abilities into any given IB course will produce higher achieving students across the board, you're drinking the kool-aid.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Hammertime33,

Quote:
Does IB forbid its students from taking AP exams?
Nope. But I'm going to flip that on you. IB does forbid AP students who are not enrolled in an IB school from taking IB exams.

Perhaps they are afraid of actual quantitative data being developed which would reveal IB's serious academic inferiority?

IB has been marketed based on hearsay, elitist arrogance and frankly, BS platitudes and cries of self-righteous greatness by IB alumni and change-agents. We have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the strategy to expand IB in American public schools is completely and entirely POLITICAL.

IB is the Emperor with no clothes. As soon as you seek real data, real standards, real syllabi, real FACTS about this shady organization and its products, you get attacked for being an "ignorant, right-wing, tinfoil hat wearing, xenophobic, paranoid, conspiracy theorist."

Stop it. We're so over the Alinsky tactics, censorship and Delphi Technique.

I also want to make it clear that this topic is not limited to the IB Diploma Programme. IB has three (3) political indoctrination programmes, not just one, and they are going after babies from Age 3. The PYP and MYP are the two IB programmes which IB "developed" in the 1990's and which IB is "strategically planning" to put its efforts into expanding. Neither the PYP nor the MYP are curricula. They are a "framework" of "6 themes" which encompass the "Learner Profile". IBO mandates that the PYP be implemented SCHOOLWIDE. This is unAmerican and unacceptable.

Last edited by ObserverNY; 08-27-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ALL AP exams are college level. Students can take as many of them as they choose.
Wow. I know I'm probably wasting my time, but here it goes anyway.

Students can only take as many AP courses as offered by their particular school. Also, some schools do not let just any student into AP courses. The AP opportunities and access vary widely among schools, as does the teaching quality. It is NOT across the board "better" than IB.

That said, they are both good options for an advanced student. I'm just trying to make a dent in this perception that AP is always great everywhere.

In my opinion, IB is a better all around experience for a very smart, highly motivated kid who is good in multiple subjects. AP is probably better if a student wants to narrow in on the subjects where they have a high level of interest and/or aptitude. Both will accord you the option to skip a few freshman level classes if you so desire, but honestly that's not always a good idea depending on the college.

The bone of contention here is seems to center around the idea that IB does not teach that the American way is the only way. It is the program modeled after the curriculum received by kids of diplomats, so yeah they are not going to teach anyone to think any one way is the only way to see any issue. What they try to get across is your way of looking at an issue may be valid, but other people can hold differing opinions without necessarily being crazy, stupid or evil. This is something that seems to be sorely lacking in this thread. LOL. That is not the same as teaching that Americans are evil or wrong. If you consider that many different kids from multiple countries and religions were in the same class receiving instruction when this was developed, then of course it would make sense that would be the approach.

To me it makes sense to have both as an option and let each school district decide what option they want to offer to their advanced students. Each has its trade offs, each has its strengths. I'm not sure what is to be gained from shutting off options for every school district in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies