Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,876 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing IB adds a playbook to deal with controvery- One of the main selling points of the IB ideology is to question everything? My kids are in a PYP school aka the elementary brainwashing camp- and this is not by choice- we are the only IB certified school in our town that is not a private school- PYP has filled the classrooms with non-factual information mainly pertaining to IB learner profiles and atittudes- They feel its crucial to focus on kids being more caring- tolerant- empathetic to those in the world around us- versus common sense academics- parts of a sentence- heck at least put up the alphabet for those who are barely potty trained in Pre-K- Aside from the dirty politics rooted in IB- Any parent with common sense can walk into a PYP classroom and wonder if they are in a therapy session or a classroom- It's pathetic- Dumbing down at it's finest- You have state requirements, federal requirements- and now IB requirements- An example of a project- the fairytale Cinderella as told in various countries- Really???? Yes that was an actual project in our school- My kids bring home assessments on how well they are portraying the risk-taker profile and how can they imrove that, as well as be more caring, be more balanced, be more reflective...... same junk every year- they can tell you the states of Central America and maybe 5 of the USA in 3rd grade? Maybe that is my job to teach after a ten hour work day-

Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,150,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Rea Tards View Post
IB students are as dumb as nails. They are not prepared for the real world. IB teaches liberal thinking AKA brainwashing our children. I just had a conversation with an IB diploma recipient who is brainwashed into thinking employers should provide health care coverage. Every conversation you have with her she applies her IB theory...it is like speaking to a two year old.
I don't like to make broad generalizations about any group, especially children. Many of the students who sign up for the full IBDP are already in the top 10% of any given high school cohort. They do so because they are sold a false bill of goods as to the "wonders" of IB and believe all of the hoopla their school tells them about IB. It's not their fault. The students are the victims and the silent taxpayers are enabling the continuation of this educational malpractice against our children.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM

88,521 posts, read 44,242,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I went to IB and there was not a hint of politics in their teaching. You have been lied to.
Lied to by whom? IBO itself? I posted their own mission statement.

Use critical thinking, man.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,150,009 times
Quote:
I went to IB and there was not a hint of politics in their teaching. You have been lied to.
Finn,

With all due respect, it sounds to me like you attended a PRIVATE IB school in Europe, correct? Apples and oranges. My beef is with IB in American public schools.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM

76,829 posts, read 47,146,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then why have we seen a lack of critical thinking from the IB proponents here in this thread when the actual facts posted show that IB is considered to be inferior to AP by colleges and universities, and by IB's own description of IB as a college prep program, NOT a college-level course program?
A typical IB student takes AP classes and exams alongside the IB ones. This has been pointed out several times, but you seem unable to comprehend it. Perhaps it would be easier if you had gone to a quality school such as IB

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM

75 posts, read 51,940 times
Default Get rid of IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmTX View Post
Isn't it amazing IB adds a playbook to deal with controvery- One of the main selling points of the IB ideology is to question everything? My kids are in a PYP school aka the elementary brainwashing camp- and this is not by choice- we are the only IB certified school in our town that is not a private school- PYP has filled the classrooms with non-factual information mainly pertaining to IB learner profiles and atittudes- They feel its crucial to focus on kids being more caring- tolerant- empathetic to those in the world around us- versus common sense academics- parts of a sentence- heck at least put up the alphabet for those who are barely potty trained in Pre-K- Aside from the dirty politics rooted in IB- Any parent with common sense can walk into a PYP classroom and wonder if they are in a therapy session or a classroom- It's pathetic- Dumbing down at it's finest- You have state requirements, federal requirements- and now IB requirements- An example of a project- the fairytale Cinderella as told in various countries- Really???? Yes that was an actual project in our school- My kids bring home assessments on how well they are portraying the risk-taker profile and how can they imrove that, as well as be more caring, be more balanced, be more reflective...... same junk every year- they can tell you the states of Central America and maybe 5 of the USA in 3rd grade? Maybe that is my job to teach after a ten hour work day-

Thank you for your honest portrayal of your childs PYP classroom experience. Heaven help us.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 AM

88,521 posts, read 44,242,189 times
Quote:
A typical IB student takes AP classes and exams alongside the IB ones.
How is there room in the student's schedule for all those extra classes? Are there not very many IB classes? How can that be? IB claims to be an entire program.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,155,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Thank you for your observation. The key is in identifying who "loves IB" and "why"?

In the case of Superintendents, School Board Trustees and School Administrators, all of their stated belief in IB's alleged superiority are often closely tied to not what I can really call kickbacks, but let's call them "employment perks". The 3-4 day junkets to South Beach or Hawaii, annual IB Conference at a 5 star hotel, perhaps membership on the IB Board itself as in the case of MI Principal Bert Okma or Binghamton HS's Principal Dr. Albert Penna.

Why do some parents buy into IB? Mainly because they want to brown-nose the school Admin so that their kids are favored. IB even provides a Playbook how to deal with controversy and the "right" people for the Admin to win to their side of the court:

http://truthaboutib.com/images/Upper_St_Clair.pdf
There is a huge amount of pressure on parents to put their kids into IB programs. I feel it is pretty much about the money. There is a huge amount of corruption within our education system. There is just too much money floating around and many education "professionals" are grabbing as much as they can get from the parents or taxpayers.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Get rid of IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
There is a huge amount of pressure on parents to put their kids into IB programs. I feel it is pretty much about the money. There is a huge amount of corruption within our education system. There is just too much money floating around and many education "professionals" are grabbing as much as they can get from the parents or taxpayers.
I am so happy that you said that. This layering and entrenchment in school district government
is what is draining our schools. The more programmes created, the more money they grab, the deeper
our districts commit our bank accounts to. The school attorneys are the worst, next to the Super's and
directors and Asst. Super's. Local BOCES is in the king size bed, the Commissioner of Ed is a bed partner, and from there they have the bobble head school board members, the PTA, a never ending supply of quislings, whether they know it or not.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Get rid of IB

Quote:
A typical IB student takes AP classes and exams alongside the IB ones. This has been pointed out several times, but you seem unable to comprehend it. Perhaps it would be easier if you had gone to a quality school such as IB
Our school just recently (in the last 3 years) added this program. We have always been ranked at the top of the AP rated schools according to College Board. Our school district just currently closed two
elementary schools. With those two open elementary schools we were able to keep smaller class sizes,
include children with special needs by hiring teacher aides for those children in need.

We didn't get rid of IB, we kept that programme. Do you know what our Super for curriculum did to justify it. She said that there was an increase of students in the IB programme. All she did was count the seats that each student sat in. Instead of counting actual students as individuals, she counted seats. A seat means that one student will be counted for as many IB courses that he/she attends.

The school may have 20 students in IB, but those 20 students will be counted for each course they take. If each student takes a history, a science, a math, an English, a language, etc. they claim that there was an increase in students participating. They claim there are 100 Students participating.

come on, really? We still have the same 20 students out of a student body of 450. But because they each took 5 or more IB courses, they counted their seats. Disgusting! BTW, not one student has yet to graduate with an IB diploma, but of course there were dozens of students graduating with AP honors and awards.

So our district has allowed for IB when only a minute amount of students participate, we afford that, but close two elementary schools. The lawyers must be rubbing their money grubbing hands together waiting for a chance to go to Geneva Switzerland on my dime pretending to defend our district and students rights.

Entrenchment, that is all this is. As long as their is a tax payer well, the power brokers in state and local government and school district government will have their straws in sucking us all dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies