Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
If you are a christian, you have rejected a belief in all other gods.

An atheist rejects those...plus yours.

When I was growing up, I wanted nothing more than to be like my parents, grandparents, and extended family, to share in their belief. To feel the same way when we all went to church. It didn't happen for me, and I felt guilty and ashamed for a very long time. I kept it secret until sometime in high school, and even then I felt like something was 'wrong' with me.

I had all these questions that no one could answer. Christianity raised more questions than it could ever answer for me.

As I studied more religions, trying desperately to 'belong' somewhere, I found that none of them passed the litmus test my brain set forth.

I think the camp in the OP fills the need that some atheist children have to belong to a group that accepts and reflects their own way of thinking.
I totally know what you mean and agree with what you are saying. I think your last sentence is probably the best explanation of how this camp is good for a kid that is going through the same thing.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I totally know what you mean and agree with what you are saying. I think your last sentence is probably the best explanation of how this camp is good for a kid that is going through the same thing.
Thanks.

My own childhood would have been so much less painful and lonely had it existed back then.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

Uh, if you say that God doesn't exist then you should have a reason as to why God does not or could not exist. See, ... I have learned that there are well-researched atheists and then there are atheists who are just atheists because they want to be. It's just like a Christian that only relies on faith, an Atheists that does that is just as bad.
Good grief, atheism is NOT a choice, not for anybody...You have no idea how much or how hard I wanted and tried to believe, since I was raised in a religious family and educated in Christian schools....That all came to an end when I read the bible from cover to cover, asked questions and did research on Christianity and other beliefs...I finally had to come to the truth...Religion, all religions are inventions of man.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
I disagree. These kids should be allowed to believe whatever they want without having indoctrination camps either advocating a belief or a lack thereof. If the kid is confused as to what to believe, give them the room to find out. Eventually they will learn that not everyone believes as they do, and they will have to learn how to deal with that realization. They need to sort out in their own minds what they believe and what they do not believe, and nobody can do that for them.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief, atheism is NOT a choice, not for anybody...You have no idea how much or how hard I wanted and tried to believe, since I was raised in a religious family and educated in Christian schools....That all came to an end when I read the bible from cover to cover, asked questions and did research on Christianity and other beliefs...I finally had to come to the truth...Religion, all religions are inventions of man.
Glad you came to your truth. Truth sets you free.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
You keep trying don't you? I love it.
You can't convince a crazy person that they are crazy.

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I disagree. These kids should be allowed to believe whatever they want without having indoctrination camps either advocating a belief or a lack thereof. If the kid is confused as to what to believe, give them the room to find out. Eventually they will learn that not everyone believes as they do, and they will have to learn how to deal with that realization. They need to sort out in their own minds what they believe and what they do not believe, and nobody can do that for them.
And what you are describing is NOT what is happening at that camp. Had you read the article, you would have learned that they question everything, and religion is also discussed. No one is forcing these kids to accept a singular belief, or lack thereof...then again, no one is sending a christian child to an atheist camp, or vice versa. For the record, none of the kids interviewed in the article sounded the least bit confused.

Do you think christian summer camps allow children to express and pursue a belief in Islam? Buddhism? Judaism?

Watch "Jesus Camp" sometime, and then tell us if an atheist camp is in the same vein.

I don't think christian camps for christian kids is a bad thing at all, but to criticize one for atheist kids is ridiculous to me.

Quote:
So you think that a couple of weeks at a summer camp that will give them resources they need doesn't help? I think that most of the kids at this camp are probably smart enough to know that many people in the world or in their peer group don't believe as they do. Usually specialized camps (a variety of subjects, not just atheism) like this are full of gifted and very advanced children.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No. Agnosticism is the word you may be looking for.

Atheists believe that there is no higher power - and that's very much a belief.
It takes no belief.
We don't believe there is no; we have no belief at all.

Is not collecting stamps a hobby?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Do you believe that children should not be taken to church unless they personally choose to?
If so, you are going to have some enemies.

I was forced to go to church at least twice a week, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week. I sang in the choir, went to the church summer camp, and attended private religious schools.
No one could answer my questions regarding religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies