Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

If they strip him of his titles they give them to the second place guy also a cheater....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yep, it's an article of faith. Some have been pointing this out for 13 years. A photo of him injecting the needle could be produced and some folks would contort themselves to find some sort of rationalization.
I dunno, where's the photo?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If they strip him of his titles they give them to the second place guy also a cheater....
Its my understanding that the titles will be kept vacant.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Its my understanding that the titles will be kept vacant.
It's a shame, maybe the second place guy was the greatest athlete of all time or more likely just another doper, you don't know. I don't sympathize with Armstrong or any of these athletes but the fact is they were all doing it in all sports, I know even in HS going back to the late 80's there was few football players or roids. The only real winners in this situation are those no names that stuck to their principals in last place, unfortunately they are all suspect and we don't know who they are.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
If you have 10-15 minutes this is an excellent examination of Livestrong. Not a takedown, and not a glowing cheerleading session of how great Lance and his organization is, it examines the millions and millions of dollars it receives, and much of it does not go to cancer research. There is alot of overhead with this organization (marketing, travel expenses, etc.), and Lance charges a ton of money for speaking fees and charity bike rides.

I am a fan of his and think he has done great things for cancer patients, if nothing else he provides them with motivation and hope, both of which are priceless to a cancer patient. But looking behind the curtain it does reveal some interesting things about both Lance and Livestrong.

Lance Armstrong and Livestrong | Lance Armstrong | OutsideOnline.com

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
If it can be proven, then by all means, strip the titles. We don't need this in our sports community, period.

The sad thing is that it does cast a shadow over everything else he's done.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
I don't trust the accusations of dopers that finished after him, because they have incentive to accuse. After all, if someone clean beat you out after you had used doping, you would want to undercut their success to explain away your failure to compete.

Could it be that Armstrong, tired of being on the defense is setting up the USADA to take action so that he can come after them in court and put them on the defensive for a change? That, if he is indeed clean, would be so cool!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I don't trust the accusations of dopers that finished after him, because they have incentive to accuse. After all, if someone clean beat you out after you had used doping, you would want to undercut their success to explain away your failure to compete.

Could it be that Armstrong, tired of being on the defense is setting up the USADA to take action so that he can come after them in court and put them on the defensive for a change? That, if he is indeed clean, would be so cool!
Only two of the ten ex-teammates who testified against him have ever been nailed for doping. Most of those ten were never "competitors" against him, vying for the TDF title or any other, besides Floyd and Tyler.

In answer to your question, no, it could not be.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I don't really have a problem with "doping" in sports. Naturally, at the very top levels of athletic competitiveness, people will use all the advantages available to them. If anything, a technique such as "blood doping" is far cheaper than a legal doping technique such as having a sponsor purchase a million-dollar high-altitude simulation chamber for you, and thus at least has the potential to help poorer/lesser-known athletes compete against opponents with better funding.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I dunno, where's the picture?
This is it for me. Why isn't the proof just published and made public? If he doped, then he deserves to lose his 7 titles. Right now it just feels like people are siding with one or the other over almost nothing. I want to hear what the USADA has in the way of proof. I don't want to rely on media hearsay or a years-old 60 Minutes segment. If they're going to gloat that he gave up because the evidence was too strong, then publish the information and let the public make their own determinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies