Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times

Advertisements

UPS routinely leaves my packages outside my door....in New York City! Even with packages that were supposed to require a signature!
I usually request that people ship things to me via USPS whenever possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
That has always been my understanding. Someone had posted info showing otherwise in another usps thread. I never actualy read it so cant say what the deal is.
I'd love to see what they come up with.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:50 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Never ceases to amaze me that for less than 50 cents, I can drop a letter in the box and somebody in rural northern California or New York has it within 2 days. I think the USPS is great.
Recently a letter sent to me within NYC took 4 days to be delivered. (The distance the letter traveled I can walk within 45-60 minutes!)

Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Last time I went to the Post office to apply for passports we were met promptly and treated courteously. Our passports arrived two weeks later and ahead of schedule. We have has no delivery problems with regular mail that I can remember. Privatizing the Post office would be unconstitutional and a waste of money.
I don't think it would be unconstitutional. Why do you?

"The Constitution and the Post Office
In June 1788, the ninth state ratified the Constitution, which gave Congress the power “To establish Post Offices and post Roads” in Article I, Section 8."

The Constitution and the Post Office

To establish a post office has nothing to do as to how it is run.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't think it would be unconstitutional. Why do you?

"The Constitution and the Post Office
In June 1788, the ninth state ratified the Constitution, which gave Congress the power “To establish Post Offices and post Roads” in Article I, Section 8."

The Constitution and the Post Office

To establish a post office has nothing to do as to how it is run.
Would consider the government sourcing military affairs to PMCs unconstitutional?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
It does run on its own devices. It's the only government program that isn't funded by taxes.
It isn't funded by taxes but tax dollars are spent on Post Office employees.

The OPM, Office of Personnel and Management administers the retirement and health care programs that postal employees participate in and THAT takes tax dollars.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It isn't funded by taxes but tax dollars are spent on Post Office employees.

The OPM, Office of Personnel and Management tadministers the retirement and health care programs that postal employees participate in and THAT takes tax dollars.
Spurious. They're government employees, like any other. I'd be more interested in tax-funding for things like new delivery vans, buildings, etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Would consider the government sourcing military affairs to PMCs unconstitutional?
What do you think?

The Constitution reads, "provide for the common defense," How it is done to "provide" is up to Congress.

I guess you aren't aware the the DoD contracts out, and has for many, many years. a lot of its functions, as it should.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
What do you think?

The Constitution reads, "provide for the common defense," How it is done to "provide" is up to Congress.

I guess you aren't aware the the DoD contracts out, and has for many, many years. a lot of its functions, as it should.
Maybe for bean counters, but when your cooks are civilians and not trained military--it's just another asset you have to protect. A civilian cook can't pick up a gun like someone who has gone through Basic and fight if something happens. A civilian has to be protected. A private on mess-duty does not.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe for bean counters, but when your cooks are civilians and not trained military--it's just another asset you have to protect. A civilian cook can't pick up a gun like someone who has gone through Basic and fight if something happens. A civilian has to be protected. A private on mess-duty does not.
All the military contractors I worked with in "hot" areas had military training.

I wouldn't trust many of the military "cooks" and "clerks" I worked with with a BB gun let alone a military rifle they hadn't touched since boot camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies