Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,150,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
millions of people do not believe in god.
the child of abortion doesn't not have comprehension in the womb nor will it if it is aborted.
a woman makes her choice based on values
You totally missed my point.

I agree with what you said in absolute terms. But, the argument was over people who are "pro-life" and why they make an exception for things like rape and incest. I was trying to explain my position, and why I did not believe it was inconsistent with being pro-life.

You have to keep in mind, that there are people who do believe in god. And as such, they have a moral imperative to stop others from doing immoral things, such a destroying another human life without reason(murder).

This is not as simple an issue as "there is no god, and I should be able to do anything I want with my body".

Your viewpoint tends to lack in an understanding of what humanity is and what humanity isn't.

You are trying to argue about what is human and what isn't human. To pretend that you can define what murder is and what murder isn't in your own mind.

I promise you, its always murder. But so is the death penalty. Yet, there are exemptions for the death penalty. But there needs to be good reason for it. You can't just kill somebody because you don't want to be bothered by their existence.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,466,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting analogy. How come so many Pro Life folks are also Pro death penalty? After all, a life is a life.
Do all 'pro-choicers' support 'choice' in every life or social policy decision ? Even on abortion, some choicers oppose unlimited choice later in pregnancy. Neither pro-life nor choice is accurate.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM

18,326 posts, read 18,917,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No, and neither do people on oxygen masks, inhalers and iron lungs. Should we be allowed to kill them too?

these people are already born and not living in a womb of another person. huge difference

Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You totally missed my point.

I agree with what you said in absolute terms. But, the argument was over people who are "pro-life" and why they make an exception for things like rape and incest. I was trying to explain my position, and why I did not believe it was inconsistent with being pro-life.

You have to keep in mind, that there are people who do believe in god. And as such, they have a moral imperative to stop others from doing immoral things, such a destroying another human life without reason(murder).

This is not as simple an issue as "there is no god, and I should be able to do anything I want with my body".

Your viewpoint tends to lack in an understanding of what humanity is and what humanity isn't.

You are trying to argue about what is human and what isn't human. To pretend that you can define what murder is and what murder isn't in your own mind.

I promise you, its always murder. But so is the death penalty. Yet, there are exemptions for the death penalty. But there needs to be good reason for it. You can't just kill somebody because you don't want to be bothered by their existence.
I do understand lots of people believe in god. have no problem with that at all. but we do disagree not all religious people are anti choice, nor do all religious people think it is imperative to want people to live by their value. which is my point.

murder in this case is subjective. as far as justification up to a certain point that belongs to the woman alone.

I do agree with the op you are not really completely pro life if you make exceptions but it does make you compassionate and understanding that you shouldn't expect all women to lead the life you want for them

Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Do all 'pro-choicers' support 'choice' in every life or social policy decision ? Even on abortion, some choicers oppose unlimited choice later in pregnancy. Neither pro-life nor choice is accurate.
Aww c'mon, you can attack people's beliefs. But don't attack their self-righteousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No, and neither do people on oxygen masks, inhalers and iron lungs. Should we be allowed to kill them too?
Quote:
these people are already born and not living in a womb of another person. huge difference
Sophiasmommy was neutralizing the argument presented here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
does a 6 week old embryo have the ability to breathe on its own. Does it have the lung capacity to do so?
If this disqualifies a fetus from being a person, then it disqualifies everyone else from being a person as well.

On dependency on the womb...
How does that change the being that a fetus is? Where you get your oxygen and food does not transform you, IMO.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Aww c'mon, you can attack people's beliefs. But don't attack their self-righteousness

Sophiasmommy was neutralizing the argument presented here:

If this disqualifies a fetus from being a person, then it disqualifies everyone else from being a person as well.

On dependency on the womb: How does that change the being that a fetus is? Where you get your oxygen and food does not transform you, IMO.
being in the womb does not make the fetus any more or less then what it is. to be in a womb, to grow and develop you need to have the "permission" of the person who the womb belongs to. don't want to grow a fetus to term, you shouldn't be forced to. you wanna argue the chicken or the egg came first? in this case I will say the chicken/woman

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,907,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How did you draw a connection between maternal life andthe death penalty?
Jasper12 was able to comprehend my point.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
That goes to making a decision about when life starts. I always thought it made no sense to prosecute someone who killed a pregnant woman with two felony counts of murder, since abortion is legal. Murder of Laci Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM

5,996 posts, read 7,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
OP, you need to worry less about theoretical babies and more about the real ones who are already there.
Uh............not sure you've quite grasped the meaning of the word "theoretical".

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,359,138 times
Quote:
being in the womb does not make the fetus any more or less then what it is.
Right, and since there is no sudden transformation of the being that a fetus is once it's born, a baby is simply a late-term fetus that gets its oxygen and food via a different route.

Quote:
to be in a womb, to grow and develop you need to have the "permission" of the person who the womb belongs to.
Sooooo? To be in my house, my 2-year old son has to have my permission. I could kick him out right now (and odds are, he would not survive if I did so).

Quote:
don't want to grow a fetus to term, you shouldn't be forced to.
If you mean "denied assistance in that endeaver", and except for with maybe late-term abortions, I agree.

Quote:
you wanna argue the chicken or the egg came first?
Hehe, no I think we're wasting enough time here as it is...

Quote:
in this case I will say the chicken/woman
Yes, because that's the full extent of the philosophical argument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies