Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times

Advertisements

While the American Disease is rampant, the slaughter will continue.

It's a choice. The right to bear arms, vs the right to live in safety.

No brainer.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
I thought about this problem- The problem you have is you do not have a President who is willing to speak to the people- lecture them on this wave of madness...Obama should start acting like a father to the nation and explain to everyone that this has to stop...They the national family is being ripped apart...that the reputation of America is getting worse...He must address this issue like a good dad talking to the kids- Instead he acts like a live in boy friend who has moved in with a single mom.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
This "guns for all" idea of the NRA isn`t working very well.You think?
Nope, particularly when the gun laws are so restrictive in Chicago that only criminals possess them and not trained, law-abiding individuals. Not working well at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Another shooting in the USA............. Well done gun lobby and the 2nd amendment.
You do realise that Chicago has some of if not THE most restrictive gun laws in the country don't you?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Until the gun laws in the USA are brought into the 21st Century ( everyone and their mother do not need guns here) then many, many, many innocent lives will be lost .............
Get real. The statistics between gun ownership and gun crime in this country are a world apart, but don't let facts get in your way.
Quote:
maybe a member of your family will be the next shooting fatality????
Isn't it sad that the gun grabbers have to play off of raw emotion and fear mongering to get their way? Lol. Even if someone in my family were shot, I wouldblame the individual, not the tool.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nope, particularly when the gun laws are so restrictive in Chicago that only criminals possess them and not trained, law-abiding individuals. Not working well at all.

You do realise that Chicago has some of if not THE most restrictive gun laws in the country don't you?
So how long have you lived in Chicago?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
While the American Disease is rampant, the slaughter will continue.

It's a choice. The right to bear arms, vs the right to live in safety.

No brainer.

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Gun laws in Australia are a model for exactly what I fear could happen in the U.S. Their example is a real threat to the second ammendament, and are exactly what wedon't want here. Lets have a look at the results that super gun control yields.... from your own article....

Quote:
In the year 2002–2003, over 85% of firearms used to commit murder were unregistered
YAY gun control......!!!! Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals!!!

Quote:
In 1997–1999, more than 80% of the handguns confiscated were never legally purchased or registered in Australia
Another victory for the Anti-gunners

Quote:
Knives are used up to three times as often as firearms in robberies
The hell you say!!!! You mean even if people don't have access to guns, they will.....still....commit.....Violent...crime??? Maybe people should focus more on the individuals committing these crimes, and less on the tools they perform their dasterdly deeds with.

Quote:

n 1997, the prime minister appointed the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) to monitor the effects of the gun buyback. The AIC have published a number of papers reporting trends and statistics around gun ownership and gun crime, which they have found to be mostly related to illegally-held firearms
Whats that? Strict laws that limit over-all access haven't prevented guns from falling into the hands of CRIMINALS, who then commit crimes with them? Also, you are telling me that "legally" possessed firearms and the legitimate owners of them don't commit as many crimes? We are really learning a lot here aren't we?

Thats all for now. I'm tired. Point is, no matter how much you claim the opposite, gun control doesn't work. It hasn't worked for Chicago, and it wouldn'twork for the U.S. as a whiole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
The right to bear arms, vs the right to live in safety.
I don't know how you guys operate in Australia, but here in the U.S. we were founded on a vision of less government intrusion and more individual freedom. Let me leave you with a little something from one of our founding fathers....

"He that would sacrifice essemtial liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-25-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
So how long have you lived in Chicago?
Google Search-gun restrictions in Chicago

Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The mainstream media's silence makes one wonder if they care about people living in the inner city.
What 'silence'?

What exactly is the point you are you trying to make?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
So you haven't, okay. You run your mouth a lot for someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm not surprised though, it's just incredibly pathetic.
Except that he is right. Why would one have to live there to know what the gun laws are? Illinois is the only state left without some form of concealed carry. I used to live in Chicago; when I lived there it was illegal to even keep a handgun within city limits. Technically a Chicago resident could own a handgun, but had to arrange to have someplace outside of city limits to keep it stored. I know longer live there, so don't keep up with the laws, but I believe that law changed only after the Heller decision. But the total prohibition on concealed carry remains in Chicago, and the rest of IL.

Chicago has a long track record in producing strong anti-gun politicians. Blago was a leader in anti-gun legislation as US Congressman. Rahm Emanuel was Clinton's point man on gun control during the 1990's. Richie Daley was anti-gun to the point of lunacy.

CHICAGO MAYOR TO REPORTER: "WHAT IF I PUT A BULLET IN YOUR A$$." 5-21-2010 - YouTube

Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
346 murders as of 8/21 for a city this size is outrageous.

I doubt NYC has had many more, in recent years, I believe their full year totals have been under 800, with 3x the population.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Except that he is right. Why would one have to live there to know what the gun laws are?
Thats what I was wondering, but decided to just give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies