Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Is it because Europeans share the same skin complexion? Because if it is it blinds one to the fact that Europe is and has always been a multi-cultural continent and very few if any of the nations of Europe are based upon a single culture. Switzerland has four official languages. Countries like Belgium, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, and Italy while having one official language recognizes a number of indigenous ones. Even Great Britain as its name implies is made up of several different existing language groups. Luxembourg, as tiny as it may be, actually has a trilingual educational system.

As with language each European is comprised of groups with from very different cultural heritages, so even without recounting centuries of ethnic warfare and persecution across the European continent I'm puzzled by this argument, even when made by the likes of David Cameron or Angela Merkel that multiculturalism doesn't work when it has worked off and on in Europe for thousands of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Why Do Americans Believe that Europe Is Homogenous?

Who informed you "Americans" have that belief?

Check your source.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
What makes you think most Americans know what Homogenous means?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Before I comment on this thread I need you tell me the difference between a "melting pot" and multiculturalism.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Who informed you "Americans" have that belief?

Check your source.
I was trying to be polite, however feel free to check and number of post regarding multiculturalism on C-D and you will be amply rewarded.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Perceptions and Misconceptions.

My Mother's Father and Mother are direct from Sicily. They have more in common with people from North Africa and Greece than the "White" Italian's of Northern Italy. Heck even the language difference between the dialects until the last half of the 20th century was so pronouce that it was like being in several different countries when we were there visiting relatives in the 1970's. Thanks to TV and Nationalized education as my grandfather's generation died off Standardized Italian has taken hold.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

I see Germans despising the French and the Russians, I see the French seeing themselves as vastly superior to all other countries in Europe. I see all EU countries hating the Roma...

The only things homogenous about Europe is the countries share a common land mass and the fact they are all losers...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:43 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

The only things homogenous about Europe is the countries share a common land mass and the fact they are all losers...
I'll give you losers!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is it because Europeans share the same skin complexion? Because if it is it blinds one to the fact that Europe is and has always been a multi-cultural continent and very few if any of the nations of Europe are based upon a single culture. Switzerland has four official languages. Countries like Belgium, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, and Italy while having one official language recognizes a number of indigenous ones. Even Great Britain as its name implies is made up of several different existing language groups. Luxembourg, as tiny as it may be, actually has a trilingual educational system.

As with language each European is comprised of groups with from very different cultural heritages, so even without recounting centuries of ethnic warfare and persecution across the European continent I'm puzzled by this argument, even when made by the likes of David Cameron or Angela Merkel that multiculturalism doesn't work when it has worked off and on in Europe for thousands of years.
No one does believe that.

Why do you believe that people believe that?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Thanks for the 7th grade world geography lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies