Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

How about a small tax hike to pay for it THIS YEAR. No borrowing required. I'd like to see that one.

Yep, the OP called it. Political theater is all we seem to get from these Tea Party goons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
The Capitol dome has been cracking, rusting, and leaking for decades, as the article implies.

But since Republicans have had a majority for less than two years in 1/3 of the government, it's their fault.

Got it.

(Do these liberals ever post anything without throwing up silly lies and desperate diversions nowadays?)

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Let it crumble it will serve as reminder to the failure of government.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Does it matter when the leaks started? Just fix it, jeeeeez
That's my way of things..... Pull on work boots, get the ladder out and go up there to see what's wrong. make a list of materials and go BUY them and then come back and fix it.

No major investigations, no estimates and proposals, just go get it done.

Of course down there it takes a Union, and instead of a couple masons just getting it done for oh say 40,000 bucks it will take a Union and cost in millions, and only 40,000 bucks will pay for the little labor.

I figure if congress can build a bridge to nowhere this should be cake.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
They'll find a way to blame Obama for it if/when it eventually falls in.
If Obama hadn't spent trillions we didn't have over the last 3 years maybe there would have been money to fix it. Or maybe the dems could have paid to fix the leak when they completely controlled government, since it's been leaking for years. Funny how it didn't become a priority until an election year when they could try and get points from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
How about a small tax hike to pay for it THIS YEAR. No borrowing required. I'd like to see that one.

Yep, the OP called it. Political theater is all we seem to get from these Tea Party goons.
How about a small spending CUT to pay for it THIS YEAR? No borrowing required, but we know the liberals could never consider actually spending LESS.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How do I correct the misspelling in the thread title?

Obviously, it should be "leaking," instead of "leading."
I think it's "edit post" and then "advanced" but it might be too late to change it now.

I kinda like your title
"Capitol Dome leading, Obama and Romney fall behind"

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's my way of things..... Pull on work boots, get the ladder out and go up there to see what's wrong. make a list of materials and go BUY them and then come back and fix it.

No major investigations, no estimates and proposals, just go get it done.

Of course down there it takes a Union, and instead of a couple masons just getting it done for oh say 40,000 bucks it will take a Union and cost in millions, and only 40,000 bucks will pay for the little labor.

I figure if congress can build a bridge to nowhere this should be cake.
It is my way of doing things out here also, just got through re=roofing one of our two Barns by myself.
Thing is I doubt that is a possibility with the Captial.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of state capitols have maintenance issues and politicians not wanting to do anything about it. It's been said that if you saw the condition of the plumbing at the state capitol in Oklahoma, you wouldn't want to drink the water.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let it crumble it will serve as reminder to the failure of government.

Actually, I think it is a great symbol of the scorched earth mentality of the modern GOP. Let everything rot as we fight the good fight of cutting taxes for the wealthy and promoting religious intolerance. It used to be that conservatism was about maintaining and guarding the great traditions and institutions of American culture. They willingly laid down their lives to defend it. Now, in just a couple years, the Tea Party has managed to cause a downgrading of our credit rating, voted down legislation to repair aging infrastructure and put people to work, and now, pouting as the Capitol Dome itself cracks and decays. It is a perfect symbol of their failed leadership. The GOP is no longer a party that serves America as a whole, but a pack of mercenaries working for the wealthy few to cannibalize the rest of our society. Have fun with that folks.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Turn the metal thieves loose. Let them recycle the copper. Tear the building down and replace it with some nice, functional space fitting a nation that is broke - maybe a double-wide trailer or two.

When the budget is balanced rebuild the Capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies