Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It would be much more logical to just ban all same-sex marriages in the first place, then no-one would have to worry about being sued/fined etc..
According to the 14th Amendment, we'd have to ban all heterosexual marriages too to comply with the US. Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Apparently too many people don't know what the meaning of Freedom of Religion is. The business owners are not being denied the right to practice their religion. They are, however, using their business in a manner that is in violation of state law.

Freedom of Religion does not give you free reign to break Federal and State law. Otherwise, everybody could just make up their own religion that says, "Stealing is a tenant of my religion, and therefore the State is denying me my first amendment rights by not allowing me to be a thief".

You people just hate the law when it rules in favor of something you hate (gays). Has nothing to do with Freedom of Religion.

Of course, the Constitution prohibits government from making laws that are in violation of the Bill of Rights. The Abrahamic religions negative attitude toward homosexuality is hundreds of years old.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:57 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Innkeepers fined $30K, lose weddding business

It just goes to show how childish Homosexuals are, If I didn't agree with a business I sure wouldn't push it into court and hurt their lives I would just do business elsewhere, this sort of childish act will just open peoples eyes and turn them against Homosexuals. We have already seen it with CFA and BSA plus the wedding cake bakery.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
In this case, the owners (or their agent) screwed up and ran afoul of Vermont law. The owners of the inn have elected not to host any weddings anymore, as they don't feel that they are capable of adhering to the law at any time in the future.

Sounds like they reconciled their own beliefs with the law and decided to exercise their freedom to stop having wedding receptions. Drat the luck, they only realized their predicament after they "coincidentally" got busted. Isn't it funny how people always get caught the first time that they do something?

Fortunately for the owners, they were able to save some face by shooting their messenger, even though the employee said in the email she sent to the couple's mother, that she checked with the innkeepers about it.

Quote:
The email read in part: “After our conversation, I checked in with my Innkeepers and unfortunately due to their personal feelings, they do not host gay receptions at our facility.â€
source: Baker and Linsley v. Wildflower Inn | American Civil Liberties Union

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
it really is a complete farce, because it is not possible for two men or two women to get married anyway.

why should hotels have a duty to promote perversion?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
it really is a complete farce, because it is not possible for two men or two women to get married anyway.

Not possible where, in SE Asia?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Sure it is, you don't get to define marriage. 50 years ago, it was not possible for a black man and a white woman to get married.

Quote:
Why is it a perversion? Because you say so? I find your beliefs far more perverted and evil than anything gays do. Maybe your beliefs should be illegal.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
>I believe gays should have freedom of association; they should have the freedom to marry.

I also believe business owners should have freedom of association; they should have the freedom to pick their clientele.

It does not seem in our nation that both groups can have their natural right of freedom of association.

I support gay rights up to the point where they no longer are fighting for equal protection under the law but begin forcing private citizens to engage in actions they wish to be no part of.<

This

Gays want to marry. NO PROBLEM! Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
The homosexual militant bullies are learning the hard way that they can't "make" or force people to do something against their beliefs. They failed to bully the Wildflower Inn to change its wedding reception policy other than to shut it down for everyone and they celebrate this uncalled for atrocity as a victory. This vindictive bullying on the part of the homosexual creates enemies and reflects poorly on homosexuality and the homosexual militant agenda.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Apparently too many people don't know what the meaning of Freedom of Religion is. The business owners are not being denied the right to practice their religion. They are, however, using their business in a manner that is in violation of state law.

Freedom of Religion does not give you free reign to break Federal and State law. Otherwise, everybody could just make up their own religion that says, "Stealing is a tenant of my religion, and therefore the State is denying me my first amendment rights by not allowing me to be a thief".

You people just hate the law when it rules in favor of something you hate (gays). Has nothing to do with Freedom of Religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies