Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Using the term "pro-abortion" is like calling gun owners "pro-killers" so when you start a topic out with making such an ignorant mistake in terminology it's a little hard to take your question seriously.

To answer your question: a fetus has the potential for life the same as an acorn has the potential to be an oak tree. To many people a fetus is not a human life until it is viable outside the womb. That IS a fact that people disagree on when life begins. What Akin's said is total bull designed to help redefine rape and public opinion of rape so that abortions in turn can be denied to all rape victims. i.e. if "they got pregnant then it wasn't a 'legitimate' rape."
I don't see a 4 year old as a human being. He is still humanlike and until he has been in school long enough to become humanized (no more me over all) he is just human like.

Since a fetus has a beating heart very early, before most abortions, other than those from the morning after pills, I consider it legalized murder.

When does the heart of a fetus start beating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Let me guess. You went to Catholic school. In case you don't remember, the Supreme Court Roe vs Wade covered in extreme depth and detail the issue of when life begins. The religious leaders from the various denominations, scientists, the law and medical communities that testified before the court could not come to an agreement on when life begins. Through modern search many of us have come to agree that visibility works for many of us BUT other than that religious leaders, scientists and the medical community STILL don't agree. (To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.) And the pro-choicers are working hard to change laws to reflect their narrow view of when life begins with their pushing of things like the Personhood bills. Paul Ryan supports that narrow view of the topic and that makes him dangerous to many women/couples/fathers/mothers/men who believe abortion needs to be kept legal and safe.
No, went to public school. It is basic biology. Life begins at conception. You really should not reject science just because you don't like where it leads.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Let me guess. You went to Catholic school. In case you don't remember, the Supreme Court Roe vs Wade covered in extreme depth and detail the issue of when life begins. The religious leaders from the various denominations, scientists, the law and medical communities that testified before the court could not come to an agreement on when life begins.
I'm pro-choice but I find that reasoning bizarre, even for 1973, and simply not to the point. The issue is when do legal personhood and human rights begin, not when does something begin that can be termed "life."

Streptococcus is a form of "life" but that has nothing to do with whether you can kill it.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Abortion stops a beating heart.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't see a 4 year old as a human being. He is still humanlike and until he has been in school long enough to become humanized (no more me over all) he is just human like.

Since a fetus has a beating heart very early, before most abortions, other than those from the morning after pills, I consider it legalized murder.

When does the heart of a fetus start beating?
Give it up, you are anti choice and against women rights. We all know it and you analogy is just an example of that....but you are a man who will never understand what it is like to have something growing inside you, so you opinion doesn't really matter that much.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, went to public school. It is basic biology. Life begins at conception. You really should not reject science just because you don't like where it leads.
If you really believe that life begins at conception then you must also believe that every woman who miscarries should be put on trial to see if she in any way caused that miscarriage. If you really believe that life begins at concept then you must also believe that some forms of birth control are murder.

Again, you ignore the fact that there is absolutely NO agreement on when life begins. None! You are taking the genetic stage view held by Catholics and many neo-conservatives. But there are plenty of scientists and religious groups who believe life begins at one of other 3 debated stages: the embryological state (14 days), the neurological state (24 to 27 weeks) and at the near birth stage. There is no proof what so ever to prove that life begins at any one of these four debated places. Go ahead and keep your head in the sand and ignore that everyone does not share your religious and/or junk-science view of this issue. You have a right to your OPINION, but so do. Life for me, begins at visibility---the neurological state.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 08-26-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What about self described pro-choicers who become anti-choice at a magic point in fetal development, such as 'viability.' Sure, there are some choicers who'd have no limits on choice in the late stages of pregnancy, but imo many, if not most, accept limits on abortion-at-will at roughly 5-6+ months. What are they ? Proanti-choice ?
That's something that you would have to ask people specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
There are two ignorant statements now.

Are you going for more?
My statements are fine, you shouldn't be talking with the nonsense that comes from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It does not logically follow that if one is pro-abortion, everyone who gets pregnant would have one!

You don't really know logic, you are wrong. You are also contradicting yourself in multiple posts, but keep going.

What's that you say? A baby cannot die until she is born? How does that work? Are you saying a baby in the womb is not alive?

Maybe go back and actually read instead of posing your make believe.

Now that's an interesting conclusion. Who has the problem with reading comprehension?

Again, try reading the posts instead of recycling old rhetoric.
Quote:
I was responding to your post, not talking about rape here. Read what you posted.

By your post you are implying that it's okay.

It is beyond my comprehension how someone would make such an ignorant statement as this.

You have trouble comprehending a lot of things and usually come tot he wrong conclusion.

I guess that's how you people justify what is called "partial birth abortion," in that because the baby's head has not fully emerged, it is okay to shove a sharp object into the back of her skull and suck out her brain.

That is so sick, and one who practices such a grisly procedure should herself be put to death by the same method.

Are you telling me you are really okay with this?

One who does this, or would do it, isn't human.

I'm not sure you you are human either.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Once again, it is not a "child in the womb" and it is not a "baby." It is a clump of cells. A fetus. Not a human being. It isn't infused with some magical spirit that gives it legal rights surpassing those of the woman whose uterus it is in.
All this tells me is that you have read and believed the Planned Parenthood propaganda too, which was designed to assuage the guilt of a mother about to kill her unborn child.

Your statements above are just plain ignorant.

Usually, as technology advances, we learn more about things. This must not be the case with conception and childbirth (hmmmmm they do and always have called it "childbirth"), as in my 7th grade biology class (1957) we were taught that from the moment of conception, everything was determined; eye color, hair color, body type, male or female (of course) intelligence, talent, personality, etc., and that it was fully human (what else would it be?), and living. The word "fetus" simply means "young one."

You ignorance also tells me you are likely an atheist. If God is out of the picture, we can call it whatever we want and feel perfectly good, and justified, in committing murder of an innocent human being, who cannot defend herself. Right?

There is nothing uglier than the practice of abortion, and those that support the practice.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
If you really believe that life begins at conception then you must also believe that every woman who miscarries should be put on trial to see if she in any way caused that miscarriage. If you really believe that life begins at concept then you must also believe that some forms of birth control are murder.
No, I don't believe human life needs to be protected at its earliest stages. That does not mean it ain't human life. This ain't that complicated.

Life begins at conception. Case closed.

Murder is a legal term meaning the unlawful killing of a human being. Legally killing a human life is not murder.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
All this tells me is that you have read and believed the Planned Parenthood propaganda too, which was designed to assuage the guilt of a mother about to kill her unborn child.

Your statements above are just plain ignorant.

Usually, as technology advances, we learn more about things. This must not be the case with conception and childbirth (hmmmmm they do and always have called it "childbirth"), as in my 7th grade biology class (1957) we were taught that from the moment of conception, everything was determined; eye color, hair color, body type, male or female (of course) intelligence, talent, personality, etc., and that it was fully human (what else would it be?), and living. The word "fetus" simply means "young one."

You ignorance also tells me you are likely an atheist. If God is out of the picture, we can call it whatever we want and feel perfectly good, and justified, in committing murder of an innocent human being, who cannot defend herself. Right?

There is nothing uglier than the practice of abortion, and those that support the practice.
No, the word 'fetus' does not mean 'young one'.
Quote:
fetal [fē′təl] Etymology: L, fetus, fruitful

pertaining to the final stage of development of a prenatal mammal. In humans the fetal period extends from the first day of the ninth week of intrauterine life until birth.

Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies