Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
However, financing wasn't what Obama was talking about. Neither was he talking about "roads and bridges" as he claims. He believes that it is by the exploitation of others that entrepreneurs succeed; that "they didn't get there on their own" or through their own effort.
OBAMA'S ACTUAL WORDS: "There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

Quote:
But, a business succeeds or fails based on the actions and activities of the entrepreneur. Hard work, and long hours, sacrificing family time. The tasks of sales and marketing, advertising, purchasing, billing, shipping are often all done by the owner himself.
And he teaches himself all that all on his? Every business owner reinvents the wheel to create this concept called marketing? Creates the Internet de novo in order to do her advertising?

Quote:
A business owner takes all the risk. An employee works for a wage, and has no stake in the company; no risk of loss. An employee agrees to do a job for a given wage or salary by mutual consent.
A business owner doesn't take all the risks. Ever heard of loans? Many business owners are taking risks with other people's money.

Quote:
In Obama's world, there are the "exploiters" (business owners) and the "exploited" (employees). An employee is "exploited" to make the owner rich. This is what labor unions believe, and Obama was speaking their language. He was pandering to his union base.
Have you actually ever read Adam Smith? That is not the entrepreneur/employee relationship described by Smith. If you had actually ever read Wealth of Nations, you'd know that Obama is talking basic free-market theory.

Quote:
Obama is still wrong. Sher Valenzuela, you did build that!
You are right. Sher did build that and she did so by standing on the shoulders of those who came before her. And that's a beautiful thing that makes this country great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
It's fascinating to learn that conservatives do indeed support the "meddling" of Big Government in small business after all.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
From the article:

So yeah, WE did build it. It's not trashing Valenzuela to tell the truth. She did good, and worked really hard to make her business a success, but she didn't do it by herself - she did it with help from the federal government.

Again from the article:

Sounds to me like she's the perfect speaker for the GOP Convention ... which, by the way, is being held at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, a facility built in large part (over 60%) by government money.

Let me ask this... Who exactly was it, that gave the federal government a job?
Who hires and fires the federal government?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
The bottom 50% that pay no taxes, that got you elected, didn't build crap.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Aren't they the ones working for them? The ones buying the products and services so that they can continue to make money?

I'd say those people are pretty important.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:13 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think 50% of the country doesn't work or something? Everyone pays some form of taxes, just happens that 50% don't make enough and get their income tax back, but that is about it.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
It is at the least egocentric to think one builds a business alone. I have a simple real estate business. Yes I work the long hours, yes I came up with the idea (not like it is original) but I appeal to others to make my signs, to build my internet to tell their friends and associates, and so much more.... I am not an island and I have my success because of a combination of my hard work and the help of others.

Seems to me the right is looking for something to grasp...and this is a pretty shallow attempt...

Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM

200 posts, read 165,813 times
Quote:
Right...they don't pay into medicare, social security, sales tax, local taxes... No taxes? Income tax is but one of the many taxes we pay. Everyone pays taxes my friend.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Soooooo, basically what you conservatives are saying is that loans aren't considered help?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Soooooo, basically what you conservatives are saying is that loans aren't considered help?
Loans are a business deal. If someone took a government loan it was probably the path of least resistance. It doesn't mean it was the only option. Also, a loan is a long way from building a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies