Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
the VA and Medicare have already shown far more respect for his life than he did or would have for any member of the enemy that he might have encountered while serving during WWII.
That's a really disgusting thought process you showed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Do y'all know about value-based purchasing?
It's coming...medicare is about to screw everyone's ass with this (patients, doctors, hospitals).
And you want ALL HEALTHCARE to follow this model?

You chumps deserve what you're about to get.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But you blamed it on Obamacare. I'm not saying it isn't a national disgrace.

My Uncle was a vet, served in Vietnam. He was a drunk, lowlife, but he was family. He got liver failure, doctors seemed to think it had more to do with Hep C then his drinking, I think it was both.

Anyway, his doctors at the VA gave him 6 times where I got the phone call "better get down here" before he finally passed. The last time he died in the hospital, but two other cases he had hospice at my grandmothers house, caring for him, and when he got to the "limit" of life expectancy, hospice packed up and left the home.

That was during the Bush administration, had nothing to do with Obamacare.

What I think is a national disgrace is that people don't know just how screwed up the healthcare system is in this country, and they blame it on things that aren't really the problem.

You want to make sure everyone gets cared for? It means a mandate or it means single payer.

Otherwise, you let people die without care.

You decide which option you want.
You must keep in mind that the Repub and RWNJ mindset, firmly believe good health care is a European idea.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
It looks like the story related by the OP was the result of Hospice policies already in place for decades and has nothing to do with the “Affordable Care". These obviously need review and revision.

My objection to AC (Obamacare) is it still leaves the private insurance companies with their huge administrative overhead and executive salaries in place. As illustrated by the VA and Medicare, insurance can be provided at far less cost by these government agencies being administered by people on government salaries. Insurance is an old and well known business so there is no need to pay someone millions or stock holders dividends for providing a simple service.

Once a single payer system is in place the country will be able to start weeding the similar overhead (high executive and managerial salaries) out of the privately owned medical centers, private hospitals and clinics. There should be similar price constraints on the drug industry as well. The money saved could go to medical and pharmaceutical research done in government owned research facilities.

This would reduce health care costs paid by many of us allowing us to save or spend that money as we want. It would also reduce the huge income disparities created by absurd overhead and management cost in the private sectors of the medical industry.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
What I think is a national disgrace is that people don't know just how screwed up the healthcare system is in this country, and they blame it on things that aren't really the problem.

You want to make sure everyone gets cared for? It means a mandate or it means single payer.

Government involvement has screwed up healthcare. Government should be a last option - not the only gateway.

Single payer means single control.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you would far, far rather put your trust and faith in private health insurance companies, which must make a profit, to make better health care decisions regarding life and death than the government?
In a heart beat.

Government screws up almost everything it dabbles in.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM

167 posts, read 310,875 times
Quote:
But you blamed it on Obamacare. I'm not saying it isn't a national disgrace.

My Uncle was a vet, served in Vietnam. He was a drunk, lowlife, but he was family. He got liver failure, doctors seemed to think it had more to do with Hep C then his drinking, I think it was both.

Anyway, his doctors at the VA gave him 6 times where I got the phone call "better get down here" before he finally passed. The last time he died in the hospital, but two other cases he had hospice at my grandmothers house, caring for him, and when he got to the "limit" of life expectancy, hospice packed up and left the home.

That was during the Bush administration, had nothing to do with Obamacare.

Say it like it is. Good post

Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM

197 posts, read 213,023 times
Actually Cunucu, Medicare and social security are very well run. Medicare is far more efficient than the private health insurance plans. And offers better coverage as well.

Personal experience with both.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM

197 posts, read 213,023 times
Skydive, the one thing that you don't realize is that when this person entered the military he did not know whether he would return or not.

I was in that exact same boat when I entered the Army in the 1960s. I realized the dangers involved and I did not know. Yet, I went. That is a traumatic experience. Any way you slice it, it is.

No way to get around it. Nor to try to trivialize it the way that you do.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Update: Heard from my friend again this morning. Here is what he had to say about the situation:

".......per your suggestion I contacted the following, my VFW post, the DAV, & my Korean War Veteran assn. and the following get well actions occurred. Medicare has agreed to a home nurse visiting once a week. If more than 1 visit is required, that will be out of pocket expense for the couple. The VA has agreed to provide whatever backup is needed during any given week and will be on call as required, no charge. My post has volunteered doctors, and nurses members, if need be...Our loony Medicare doctor and his staff apparently got hammered by the state, VA and others...I just hope this gentleman has learned a lesson from all of this. Utter disgust displayed by my friends... Thanks to all of you for your help and support."

Happy to report that the situation is taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies