Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

In the private sector FREE SPEECH frequently ain't.

You can say anything you want but if it upsets your boss you will pay for that freedom.

That is a Konservative ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Says who? "Right to work" means you can be fired for ANY REASON, whatsoever.... on or off the job... or for no reason at all.

Or are conservatives now changing the tune? Either you're for worker protections (which infringe upon the rights of the business), or you're not.
Geez, you are TOTALLY wrong! Right to work means if a union represents the employees where you work you do not have to join. You are speaking of "At Will Employment" which gives the employer the right to terminate your employment for any reason (unless it violates Federal discrimination laws). Please get your facts correct.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Firing a spokesperson or a actor is nothing like you working for Geico and getting fired. It isn't even close.

You pick spokespersons on branding impact, association, etc. You fire them if they step on the toes of the segment you are trying to advertise to.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
While legally I can tell my wife that she looks fat in that dress the private repurcussions would be great.

Do not know how many times i have said this, the Bill of Rights limits governments, not private actors.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Should companies fire employees for expressing their political opinion?
It depends.

Does the company have a rules or regulations concerning political opinions?

If you make those opinions known, and people automatically associate you and your opinions with the company you are working for, then you can have a deleterious effect on the company.

So, if you are well known, and you express your opinion, AND, in doing so, have a negative effect on the company you are working for, then you can expect termination.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Even "that" has limitations.....You still cannot discriminate.
You can't discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, handicap, etc.

And even then there are many conservatives who believe they SHOULD have that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Geez, you are TOTALLY wrong! Right to work means if a union represents the employees where you work you do not have to join. You are speaking of "At Will Employment" which gives the employer the right to terminate your employment for any reason (unless it violates Federal discrimination laws). Please get your facts correct.

What-ever. How does that change the basic premise of my post?

Or is your input to just give us an employment law lesson?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I doubt he got 'fired' for what he said. He only did one commercial for Geico and it's more likely they just didn't like working with him/his attitude or his work wasn't up to what they expected.

As for your question, should companies be able to fire employees for expressing their political opinions....I think that depends on what the company policy is about personal conversations on the job. I once worked for a company that didn't allow anyone to talk about politics or religion on the job. I worked there before and after the policy was put in place and it was put in place for a good reason---people got into too many heated arguments and work wasn't getting done. If someone is disruptive and causing on-going unrest among the other workers by talking about whatever subject, then why shouldn't an employer be able to fire that person?
Yes, companies should be able to fire employees for expressing their political opinions. My policy is similar to the one the company you worked for had. No discussing religion, politics, or sex, especially with my clients. I do not care if they are liberal or conservative, homosexual or straight, atheist or religious, I will fire them on the spot if they discuss any of those topics while on the job. My business depends on my clients, and I cannot afford to alienate them by discussing topics where they may have a different opinion.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes, companies should be able to fire employees for expressing their political opinions. My policy is similar to the one the company you worked for had. No discussing religion, politics, or sex, especially with my clients. I do not care if they are liberal or conservative, homosexual or straight, atheist or religious, I will fire them on the spot if they discuss any of those topics while on the job. My business depends on my clients, and I cannot afford to alienate them by discussing topics where they may have a different opinion.

I think a lot of companies are like this. If the management of GEICO felt that his comments were alienating to their client base in any way, they had a right to terminate him. Employees, especially those in higher positions, are perceived to represent the "face" of a company. If you say something that may offend the part or all of the client base, you've got it coming.

I have a friend who works for the WaPo. She is not allowed to display political bumper stickers on her vehicle lest someone witness her in her duties for the WaPo and showing an affliation toward a specific candidate.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It depends.

Does the company have a rules or regulations concerning political opinions?

If you make those opinions known, and people automatically associate you and your opinions with the company you are working for, then you can have a deleterious effect on the company.

So, if you are well known, and you express your opinion, AND, in doing so, have a negative effect on the company you are working for, then you can expect termination.
I agree completely.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think a lot of companies are like this. If the management of GEICO felt that his comments were alienating to their client base in any way, they had a right to terminate him. Employees, especially those in higher positions, are perceived to represent the "face" of a company. If you say something that may offend the part or all of the client base, you've got it coming.

I have a friend who works for the WaPo. She is not allowed to display political bumper stickers on her vehicle lest someone witness her in her duties for the WaPo and showing an affliation toward a specific candidate.
I do not take it that far. What people put on their own vehicles is of no concern to me. I just want any and all conversations to be professional and courteous. Their job, and my business, depends on their discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies