Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 05:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
truthfully? I dont know what got him to that point, but would cover both with a firearm until the sheriff got there. if the guy still fought and I felt the woman or myself were in fear for our lives, then i would shoot him just as I would shoot a feral cat.
What about if the guy went back inside his house. What do you do then? You can't shoot him to prevent him from entering his house and also you don't know if he's just going inside to chill or bring out a gun.

I'm bringing this up because when I was a little kid, I saw this guy beat his wife and the neighbor went and intervened. The neighbor was bigger and stronger (no gun) so the guy simply shook it off and stomped into the house yelling at both his wife and the neighbor.

While the neighbor was talking to the wife, the guy comes out and shoots them both. He then gets in his car and drives away (was later arrested). Both the wife and the neighbor ended up dying.

While not exactly the same, I can see something like that happening in what you just outlined. I have a 357 myself and my rule: draw only if you're prepared to shoot. Seeing a domestic abuse case isn't worth shooting anyone over though I wouldn't want the cops involved either. I'd tried to end it, if it was my neighbor I'd definitely do so. I know all my neighbors and what they're capable of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay, what will you say when the brave person gets stalked and killed by the suspect because they tesified against them? I'm not going to risk lose my life over something like that. I'm going to duck call 911 to stop the threat and say I'm "humina humina", locking the offender up is then on the courts.
So, you wouldn't risk your life, for the life of another......not because of an imminent threat, but some precieved future threat? You, as a man, would stand idley by and let a woman get beat to death before your very eyes; and do nothing but call 911 while you quiver beneath the window sill?????

That is un-****ing-believable.

Would ya at least pick him out of a line up???? Would you face him in court????

Geez louise.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The first thing I would do is check to see if I am wearing a super-hero costume with a large 'S' on the front and then if not, dial 911 since there could be numerous reasons why the girlfriend could be getting beaten. I would hate to be the guy that ran to her rescue and then got shot by the angry boyfriend then find out he was beating her because she was cheating on him with other guys and using him for money and other related resources. Now thats not to say that if she was doing that - that she would deserve the beating, but I do have requirments that need to be met prior to endangering my life to protect a woman and would not risk trying to save her if she was being beaten because she was cheating on the guy.
What the hell? You run a background check on the victim before you decide help someone?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
And these are the kind of men who moan on here about how mean women are to them....I hope never get the chance to be near one...

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I would call the cops and then confront the guy, with a gun concealed, if I had one. I don't start fights, but I don't back down often when people threaten me and if you get hostile with my Mom or wife I will go ape **** on someone like you haven't seen before. I know a couple of real self defense experts and they have confronted bullies like this and the bully backs down once they know they are outmatched. Bullies don't want fight they want to bully and intimidate.

But on the flipside. I knew a guy in college that was coming home from a night of drinking, saw a guy beating his SO and charged the guy telling him to stop and lost his front teeth and about a 10k dentist bill.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
While the neighbor was talking to the wife, the guy comes out and shoots them both. He then gets in his car and drives away (was later arrested). Both the wife and the neighbor ended up dying.
Wow thanks for sharing that I think, maybe I will rethink my possible intervention? Probably not I did social work with abused kids so I am pretty passionate about abuse on women and kids.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
I once had neighbors upstairs who got drunk and fought on weekends. She came down to my place one night begging for help. I let her in and called police. Before they got there, he came down & wanted in. I told him no & he put his fist through my door window. He cut an artery and nearly bled to death before police arrived. They took him to local mental hospital. She came down next day, called her mother and told her he cut his hand at work & they needed to borrow money. I asked why the lie. She said if her mom knew the story, she would want her to come home to live. I said she was lucky to have that option and should take it. "Oh no, I won't leave him". I told her not to bother me any more in that case. Following weekend, same stuff. She came knocking on my door & I just turned up the TV.

Another place, I saw a neighbor woman being attacked on the sidewalk. I called 911, reported it and headed out to help. He was gone by then. Was woman's ex. I kept a baseball bat handy after that and would have worked him over with it. I barely knew the woman but knew she was a decent person and didn't deserve that crap. Never saw him come by again.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I dont know if you guys saw this in the newspaper or saw it on the news , but my sisters neighbor he lives across the street , he is a 3rd degree black belt and he also works with those samarai swords he does competition with em . well his son heard a woman screaming for help I believe she was a new neighbor . He immediately told his son to call 911 and he grabbed the samarai sword and he drew it on the guy and told the guy to get on the ground and my sister told me that man dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes . I bet that POS that was beating that woman peed his pants seeing some guy with a samarai sword standing over him . My sister said no charges were pressed against the sword weilding dude but they took the POs to jail . That lady who was being beaten is a good neighbor and my sister said that guy does not come around anymore ....Someone who was not afraid to get involved and do the right thing ....

Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I dont know if you guys saw this in the newspaper or saw it on the news , but my sisters neighbor he lives across the street , he is a 3rd degree black belt and he also works with those samarai swords he does competition with em . well his son heard a woman screaming for help I believe she was a new neighbor . He immediately told his son to call 911 and he grabbed the samarai sword and he drew it on the guy and told the guy to get on the ground and my sister told me that man dropped to the ground like a sack of potatoes . I bet that POS that was beating that woman peed his pants seeing some guy with a samarai sword standing over him . My sister said no charges were pressed against the sword weilding dude but they took the POs to jail . That lady who was being beaten is a good neighbor and my sister said that guy does not come around anymore ....Someone who was not afraid to get involved and do the right thing ....
I truly do not understand why someone would expect a stranger to put themselves in harm's way and open themselves up to legal and physical complications. If you would intervene during an altercation, fine. But don't chastise those who choose not to.

As far as "the right thing" goes, if you are willing to suffer the possible consequences of getting involved, then that is the right thing for you. But if you are not, then that is also the right thing for that person.

And your example is hilarious. How many people do you know with a samurai sword lying around?

Again I say, trained police officers consider domestic violence situations the most dangerous calls that they take due to their unpredictability. Why do you expect untrained citizens to want to jump into the fray?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM

362 posts, read 794,657 times
video tape it, and post it on world star hip hopp while say ooo whip her ass dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies