Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is wrong with people? Do you have no loved ones that you are obligated to come home to? Will you disregard your safety in such a careless way for a stranger?

The bolded part of your post sounds ridiculous to me. The bottom line is, no. It is not up to me to intervene when someone is being stabbed. What, do you want the madman (your words) to get a two for one? No thanks.

If a paid, trained, law official won't step in, a 5'4" 135 pound female won't, either.
... and neither would a 5'7 female with a bad hip (me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:51 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman1 View Post
as a retired (not former-once a cop always a cop) police officer the best thing to do is call 911. I broke my thumb breaking up a domestic dispute between a husband and wife when the husband didn't like that his wife was to be arrested and decided to fight. their are tons of incidents like that- the tables on these things turn quickly and not in a good way. google Police Officer Vincent Guidice who was killed when a perp threw a mirror that had been broken in the course of a domestic dispute at him striking him in his thigh severing his femoral artery causing him to bleed out and die. and in that case the perp was not convicted of murder.
Thanks for your professional opinion.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
I've been in this situation before and trust me, the only sensible thing is to call the cops.

Some couples do that chit as foreplay.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:53 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I've been in this situation before and trust me, the only sensible thing is to call the cops.

Some couples do that chit as foreplay.
Exactly. I would call the police, then I would yell to the woman (or man) if they knew the person who was attacking them. If a stranger was attacking them and I had a weapon of some kind, I might get more involved then if it were a domestic situation. Couples who beat each other up or allow themselves to be beat up are none of my concern.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
I'm not a big guy so I know that I wouldn't be able to take on that wife-beating SOB. Of course, if he had a weapon, then my size wouldn't matter anyways! I would call the cops ASAP.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Yell, Run, *****, Run!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What is wrong with people? Do you have no loved ones that you are obligated to come home to? Will you disregard your safety in such a careless way for a stranger?

The bolded part of your post sounds ridiculous to me. The bottom line is, no. It is not up to me to intervene when someone is being stabbed. What, do you want the madman (your words) to get a two for one? No thanks.

If a paid, trained, law official won't step in, a 5'4" 135 pound female won't, either.
I think few of us can honestly predict how we would react in such a situation, but I prefer to try to at least face my issues head on and not hide my cowardice behind the cloak of 'loved ones'. We all have loved ones, at least most of us do. So does the victim and the perp. That does not absolve you from having decent human emotions to want to save your neighbor.

I would hope that each of us would like to think that the world is a little better place for our being here. Sometimes that calls for extending yourself out of your comfort zone and acting out of your higher nature.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think few of us can honestly predict how we would react in such a situation, but I prefer to try to at least face my issues head on and not hide my cowardice behind the cloak of 'loved ones'. We all have loved ones, at least most of us do. So does the victim and the perp. That does not absolve you from having decent human emotions to want to save your neighbor.

I would hope that each of us would like to think that the world is a little better place for our being here. Sometimes that calls for extending yourself out of your comfort zone and acting out of your higher nature.

Sorry, you aren't going to shame me into changing my opinion by calling me a coward. If that's your opinion of me, fine. That matters not one iota to me.

A retired cop said that civilians should stay inside and call the police and let them do their jobs.

If I got involved, would I help the situation? That's the main question. If an angry male is beating up a woman outside my door, I could not physically stop him. I don't own a gun. There is a high chance that I would get hurt. And I'm not willing to risk it, no matter how much you pretty it up by calling it "stepping out of your comfort zone" or implying that I'm not human.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There was an infamous case in the 1960s - not sure what year but I was in elementary school, where a woman was knifed to death in a rather normal and middle class section of an outer borough of NYC.
A crowd of people formed, and stood there watching as the woman was stabbed repeatedly.

The woman was named Kitty Genovese.

I know they didn't have cell phones but couldn't someone have run into a store to call the police?

I'm looking this one up - I forget why they just stood there. Very sad.
Yes. I kind of remember that, too. It was said that people were fearful of getting involved and everyone thought that someone else had called for help. I think things have changed since then. Maybe people are just more socially conscious. Maybe New Yorkers don't want a return back to the old days with corrupt cops and gangs and thugs ruling the streets. I read often about good Samaritans helping strangers in NY.

I get local NY news here
Breaking News, Local Neighborhood News - DNAinfo.com New York

It's amazing how many crooks are being caught by cameras.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not afraid to do the right thing. I'd rather get hurt or killed doing the right thing.

I can't sit and watch someone get killed. I wouldn't be able to live with myself putting my life ahead of another person's.
I'm an old woman. I would hope that, if I joined the fray, some other person would pitch in, too. I think when one person breaks the 'I don't want to get involved' bubble, others will do so more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies