Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Exactly, I agree.

I don't get the hide in your home crowd.
by the time the cops arrive she could be dead or seriously hurt.
I don't have a gun.

With domestic violence, it's rarely the first time. She made her decision to be with an abuser and I make my decision to keep out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Immediately call the police and then yell at them - if they are sane they will stop knowing that they are being watched and that the police could be on the way

If they don't stop, they most likely aren't sane enough to confront further - just try to keep their attention on me from a distance until the police can arrive.

No need to videotape - statements will be made and usually that is all that will be needed. If you must go to court, then that's what you do

Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
With domestic violence, it's rarely the first time. She made her decision to be with an abuser and I make my decision to keep out of it.

I truly hope that you do not really believe that domestic violence is that simple; that a woman makes a decision to be with an abuser and/or makes a truly conscious decision to stay with an abuser -- domestic violence is a very complicated issue and there are so many components to it that unless a person has been in that situation and/or has been trained to help women in that situation......

It takes a lot of guts and courage to leave an abusive situation - the risk to that woman for leaving is far more dangerous, more often lethal, if she does than if she ends up staying. I sincerely hope that you do not believe that a woman prefers to have her hair pulled, or be kicked, or be isolated from her family and friends [a support network], or ... and the list goes on.

Granted times have changed, laws have changed to help better understand and support victims of domestic violence, law enforcement has, generally, a better understanding of how to deal with domestic violence when they are called in -- and still we have a long way to go.

Never should one think that a woman elects to be with an abuser. It is not easy to get out AND anyone witnessing such an egregious act should absolutely call the police.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Alot of interesting responses: "Video tape it and call the police." Great idea.

NOW, how many of you would be willing, truly willing and not internet, i am going to lie through my teeth willing, to give your complete name, date of birth, address, phone number, etc to the police? Oh and more over, walk into a court of law and TESTIFY against the batterer.

Yes, most of you on here will say they would. However, in REAL LIFE, MOST of you would not and would not.
I would and have testified against someone who I witnessed assaulting another person. It wasn't domestic violence, but an assault is an assault. I'd do it again in a NY minute if it took another scummer off the street.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Few, if any domestic violence cases get to the point of a trial. I have testified in court, and have found the entire process quite exhausting, getting there, parking, going thru security, hurry up and wait until called, taking time off of work, sometimes, having to come back the next day...wearing fancy clothes. At least it is now permissable to not wear panty hose in court, and women can wear pants. 30 years ago, it was even worse. And then they ask you all these questions, usually, I document things, so I bring out my day planner...and review my schedule. I am deadly with that thing, I have them back 15 years. I can tell you, who I talked to, on any given day, for the last 15 years, and what the conversation was about.
And my husband thinks I'm crazy for keeping journals that go back over 30 years.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I don't have a gun.

Candid answer....This is the way most people feel about DV.

I'll throw out a rough figure, typically a women in DV leaves her abuser 7-8x during the course of the relationship and returns for the honeymoon phase.

As a result, they lose the support of everyone they know which adds to the isolation. Without going into all the possible scenarios, getting out of these relationships isn't always as easy as making the decision to leave.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

I truly hope that you do not really believe that domestic violence is that simple; that a woman makes a decision to be with an abuser and/or makes a truly conscious decision to stay with an abuser -- domestic violence is a very complicated issue and there are so many components to it that unless a person has been in that situation and/or has been trained to help women in that situation......

It takes a lot of guts and courage to leave an abusive situation - the risk to that woman for leaving is far more dangerous, more often lethal, if she does than if she ends up staying. I sincerely hope that you do not believe that a woman prefers to have her hair pulled, or be kicked, or be isolated from her family and friends [a support network], or ... and the list goes on.

Granted times have changed, laws have changed to help better understand and support victims of domestic violence, law enforcement has, generally, a better understanding of how to deal with domestic violence when they are called in -- and still we have a long way to go.

Never should one think that a woman elects to be with an abuser. It is not easy to get out AND anyone witnessing such an egregious act should absolutely call the police.

Nice guys finish last.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Crank up the volume (on the TV or stereo), play some gunshot sounds. When you get their attention, tell them to stop or you'll call the police and follow through if they ignore you.

Dunno.. I don't know what would be the best thing to do. The most sensible would be to just go straight to calling the police.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I've heard experts say that in this situation it may be a good idea to go out there and slap (not too hard) the woman too. The assailant will often become disorientated at that point and flee the scene. Kind of risky I suppose but it might just work.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And my husband thinks I'm crazy for keeping journals that go back over 30 years.
I started that as a CYA thing in my job, and have found it extremely useful. Last time I had a deposition for a court case, I took them with me, the attorney wanted to "prove" I was neglectful in my job duties. After the deposition with me, they decided to drop the case. I had dates, times, summary of conversations, e mail documents...blew their entire case out of the water.

I suggest everyone have a daytimer and document their daily activities, you never know when it might be useful...Just takes 10 minutes a day.

Back to topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies