Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've heard experts say that in this situation it may be a good idea to go out there and slap (not too hard) the woman too. The assailant will often become disorientated at that point and flee the scene. Kind of risky I suppose but it might just work.
I'd suggest that anyone doing that would end up in jail on assault charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:51 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Alot of interesting responses: "Video tape it and call the police." Great idea.

NOW, how many of you would be willing, truly willing and not internet, i am going to lie through my teeth willing, to give your complete name, date of birth, address, phone number, etc to the police? Oh and more over, walk into a court of law and TESTIFY against the batterer.

Yes, most of you on here will say they would. However, in REAL LIFE, MOST of you would not and would not.
I absolutely would NOT be willing to give ANY of my personal info to the police, nor go to court....but that doesn't mean...at all...that I'd sit by and watch a man beat a woman.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Candid answer....This is the way most people feel about DV.

I'll throw out a rough figure, typically a women in DV leaves her abuser 7-8x during the course of the relationship and returns for the honeymoon phase.

As a result, they lose the support of everyone they know which adds to the isolation. Without going into all the possible scenarios, getting out of these relationships isn't always as easy as making the decision to leave.
And, when they decide to leave and get a restraining order, that's the most dangerous time period of getting hurt or killed. She's dam*ed if she stays and maybe worse if she leaves.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've heard experts say that in this situation it may be a good idea to go out there and slap (not too hard) the woman too. The assailant will often become disorientated at that point and flee the scene. Kind of risky I suppose but it might just work.

This has to be one of the most, if not most, bizarre things I've ever heard. Was this an expert who was irrational or on drugs or both?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
^ I agree. Sounds like a way to get killed.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My dad went out there to yell at this guy beating up his girlfriend, and I told my dad to stay inside and call the cops.

What should you do? Stay inside and call cops or go outside yell at them+call cops?

Thx
I've only seen this like 4 times in my whole life. Two of those times it was the lady beating on the man and I just watched because I thought it was funny. I kept waiting for the man to defend himself but neither ever did.

The other two times were where both were arguing. The man would say something, the lady something back (both were pretty much cussing each other out) and he would hit her. Then he'd say something, she would say something, and he would hit her. Once was at a park and the other time was at a red light. I asked both ladies if they needed some help and both times I was told where to go and what I could do once I got there! Neither of the men ever said a word to me, it was the lady getting beat wanting to suddenly attack me. Fine! Hit her some more for all I care!

If it's not a Travon Martin punk on top bashing her head in the ground or using a weapon most of the time there really isn't a need for anyone. Cops only make things worse for them, the kids, the rest of the family, and makes taxes go up. Unless I thought immediate injury was about to happen I'm staying out of it. Calling the cops/getting involve to stop a death or serious injury is wise, anything else is unwise.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 AM

438 posts, read 660,594 times
If i saw anyone beating on others I call the police. I have called the police for seeing a woman hit a man. Humans shouldn't be beat.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
This has to be one of the most, if not most, bizarre things I've ever heard. Was this an expert who was irrational or on drugs or both?
Actually it was my bartender, he's extremely qualified and practically a scientist. It seemed a bit odd to me too but I double checked with him and said that he was also in Nam and sometimes they had to destroy a village in order to save it. So there is a certain logic behind his thinking.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I absolutely would NOT be willing to give ANY of my personal info to the police, nor go to court....but that doesn't mean...at all...that I'd sit by and watch a man beat a woman.
Exactly. And therefore, for criminal justice purposes, your "intervention" is worthless. Yes, worthless. You may have "stopped" the issue for the moment. However, the second you are gone, it will be there again. And again, and again, and again.

Without people coming forward and willing to be witnesses, the vast majority of suspects will walk out of a court free and clear. And then you all will scream: The police let him go. The police cannot be everywhere, every second, of every day. We need people to come forward and have the balls to carry it through. Not hide in the woodworks and say, "Its not my job or responsibility." That is the cowards way out; which, is the vast majority of the general public. Cowards.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Screw the cops, break it up. The cops will be too long and chances are, the lady will not press charges and end up leaving them both there to continue. I've seen it happen. Break it up and get the offender away from whoever he is beating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies