Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I guarantee that if they end those benefits, crime would be terrible. People that called for its ending would demand it back.
I am not sure that is true. I don't see where it was true i the past or always true in pooer countries. I think the old sayig too much time on your hands leaves too much time to get into trouble. I personally also think people that work commit less crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Mininum wages was never meant for workers at older age;it was meant for teens and partime help.Never meant to be a living wage and often mimimum wage workers still get help from many programs for low wage workers.Housing assistance;uneraned income;food stamps etc are often available for even minimum wage workers .Last I knew the adjust gross income of 18K was poverty level wages.Of course there are always cheats who actaully hurt other people like handicapped etc that need the programs.The pie is only so large.
Maybe when it was created though I have yet to see evidence of that but now with so many low wage jobs there is no way they are all for teenagers.What exactly defines a career or not? Why could a job as a cashier not be a career? Just because teenagers work this jobs does not make then non career jobs.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Maybe when it was created though I have yet to see evidence of that but now with so many low wage jobs there is no way they are all for teenagers.What exactly defines a career or not? Why could a job as a cashier not be a career? Just because teenagers work this jobs does not make then non career jobs.
I agree honestly. Nowadays I see adults working at these "teen" jobs, which leads me to believe that these jobs are not just for teens in HS looking for spending money. These jobs are being taken by adults that have financial responsibilities and I can't imagine how they can fulfill them all on $8.25 an hour. Maybe I feel this way partially because I have compassion for all walks of life, but I just can't understand how folks feel that jobs paying under $12.00 an hour are actually viable options for people getting off welfare that have more than one child. It just isn't enough money to live off of. Somethings gotta give. Either the minimum wage needs to be raised to a "livable" wage, or there need to be some type of assistance (weighed in favor for those that are actually working but barely making ends meet) rather than just getting rid of welfare altogether and thinking that these folks will actually make something of themselves with pennies. As someone alluded earlier in the thread, this is one way to increase the level of crime in the nation amongst the underclass and working poor. People need help, point blank period. It's unfortunate that there are those that abuse the "help", but I believe that there are those that genuinely need it and the help can start with jobs that pay much more than what they pay.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post

This is what I am saying
. The minimum wage in 2012 should be higher than what it is. I can't imagine trying to live off of today's minimum wage job and supporting a child. Sure they get raises as time goes on, but the raises usually aren't significant unless they have been at that particular company for more than few a years, during those few years I can imagine how difficult it would be trying to make ends meet. $15 an hour isn't that much better, but it's certainly better than $8.00, $7.00, $10.00, etc. To me the fact that the minimum wage is not higher than what it is, is just as troubling as is the number of people that continue to leech off the system, I view both as abuse. Just in different ways. Meh, maybe it's the liberal in me.
And exactly why would they be having babies when they know they cannot support them or provide them a home?

Would you say that you actually want to reward people for their irresponsibility? And remember -- it takes two parents to make a baby. Two minimum wage jobs comes out to almost $15 an hour.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of places have "unrelated occupancy" restrictions which make it unlawful for several people to share housing. Fortunately I do not live currently in such a place, and live in a house with five people (before that I was i a house with ten people, none of whom were in the country illegally ).

But I previously lived in a place where the max unrelated occupancy was TWO. And yes it was specifically intended to prevent more than two unrelated individuals from sharing a house.

Sharing rental housing has other risks as well, landlords are able to CYA much better than renters are, so landlords typically require joint and several liability; I've known several people who have been burned by living with flaky roommates who skipped out and left them owing a bunch of money to cover someone else's you know what.

So on one hand you can save money by sharing housing, and then have to pay out the nose when the people you live with start costing YOU money.

Needless to say, it's the people with the lowest incomes who are most at risk.
Illegals are not finding any problem with those restrictions. Why is it that they can manage to find the houses and apartments that allow 4 or 5 families, or 14-15 unrelated individuals to live in them?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And exactly why would they be having babies when they know they cannot support them or provide them a home?

Would you say that you actually want to reward people for their irresponsibility? And remember -- it takes two parents to make a baby. Two minimum wage jobs comes out to almost $15 an hour.
And how much is daycare for this baby? So, now they're down to 10 bucks an hour. Easier to stay on the gov't dole and get free healthcare. They have absolutely no incentive to go to work. If we are to eliminate the welfare system, we have to start offering livable wages, and/or some type of free healthcare to offset, or "these" people will stay on welfare forever. It's a catch 22 for sure.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Eh the benefits for food stamps and welfare aren't as great as people seem to think they are.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do away with it if the person can work.....THANKS LBJ!!!!!!

Can a person work if there aren't enough jobs for everyone who wants to work?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Food stamps are also easily accessible for the unemployed, which last time I checked the unemployed consists of people from all backgrounds, and education levels.

Actually, food stamps are time-limited for able-bodied adults, to something like 3 months of food stamps every 18 (?) months. So food stamps are easy to get (temporarily) and hard to keep long-term.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
that's true, and of course just 'moving next to where you work' is not always realistic or possible.
It is always realistic and possible, it just isn't always easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies