Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

When you create an entire thread for the sole purpose of ridiculing an entire group of people, that makes you a troll. And OP, not sure what you hoped to achieve with this thread. Your posts don't come off the slightest bit Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Actually "in god we trust" and "one nation under god" was actually added in the 50s to scare the godless Commies. Honestly we could take those two things out of our country and only be ending something that is only about 60 years old.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I don't mean just because our national motto is "In God We Trust", and the Pledge of Allegiance refers to "one nation under God". These can be ignored or dismissed if one is really determined.
Not true, I dismiss them with no effort at all.

Quote:
But you can't ignore things like the biblical seven day week. You can't ignore the fact that our calendar counts forward from the birth of Jesus Christ. You can't ignore Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving - and you can't redefine them without carrying around a huge chip on your shoulder (which is not uncommon). You can't ignore St. Louis, San Francisco, or Los Angeles, at least not until the ACLU gets around to suing them for violating the first amendment.
I don't ignore a seven day week or calendar year but I certainly don't think of it in the context of religion. I think you are way overestimating how easy it is to have a secular viewpoint of these things including holidays.

I don't push atheism on anyone else or rub it in their faces, its kinda funny some religious nut on a message board is trying to do exactly that with his beliefs in magic and mythology.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
What's so tough about keeping your mouth shut...who has to know what you believe or don't believe in? Soon as you see the title of the thread you know what level of quality is going to be there...I would say out of 10- the idea behind this is about a 2.

Must be tough being a Scientology member....or Must be tough being gay--- or must be tough being old....or it must be tough being an atheist? Yah- the Christians are burning atheists at the stake as we speak- give me a break.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

613 posts, read 815,222 times
As a non-believer, I have difficulty labelling myself as “Atheistâ€. My belief or non-belief is a personal thing. I have no need or desire to seek out others that share my views on religion.

In my opinion, those who group together to force towns, schools, etc. to rename Christmas Trees, Holiday Trees, are no different than the Christian groups they feel so superior to. To me, this type of “Atheism†is a religion in and of itself.

Many Christian traditions are very positive. Christmas is my favourite time of year. I don’t have to believe in a God that watches everything I do, to respect a holiday that exhorts everyone to be generous and kind to their fellow man.

Why would I care if I use phrases and words that are steeped in Christian tradition? I also use language derived from many other traditions even though I don’t believe in Norse, Egyptian, Roman, Greek, etc Gods. All of these religions have some positive aspects to them, including the Christian religion.

I am quite comfortable letting people believe in whatever they like. Religion can be a very positive thing in a person’s life. It can also be extremely destructive, when you believe the prosecution of your beliefs is more important than your duty to be decent to your fellow man.

My problem is that many religious people are not willing to give me the freedom I gladly grant them, the right to believe or not based on my own sense of values and reason

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Pretty fancy logo for Steubenville.

I'd have put a football in there somewhere.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Not true, I dismiss them with no effort at all.

I don't ignore a seven day week or calendar year but I certainly don't think of it in the context of religion. I think you are way overestimating how easy it is to have a secular viewpoint of these things including holidays.

I don't push atheism on anyone else or rub it in their faces, its kinda funny some religious nut on a message board is trying to do exactly that with his beliefs in magic and mythology.
You don't push your religion of atheism on anyone...but you seem to want to put down the religions of others by using words like magic and mythology? Number one- most religion is not about magic or mythology- It is about law. The Ten Commandments are not mythical or magic...they are LAWs that your nation was built on.. As for the teachings of Jesus Christ...

They are brilliant social concepts to allow optimum happiness for human beings on earth...stuff that you see as magic or myth like virgin birth along with rising from the dead...is NOT the base of Christian doctrine. The base of Christian doctrine is what you are doing right now- Having the ability and right to speak freely without having your head lopped off....Try being you in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia.

Funny how young atheists are so ungrateful to Jesus Christ who created a social atmosphere in the free world where even an atheist is protected by the doctrines of Jesus...If it were not for this man of "magic" and "myth" ...You would not be allowed to be YOU>>

Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Your posts don't come off the slightest bit Christian.
This.

OP for someone who claims to be a religious Catholic you spend a lot of time poking at non-Catholics, or non-Christians. Do you think that's a way to spread the word of Christ?

I don't.

I think it's a real good way to turn off a whole lot of people and make them resent the Christians who try to spread the Gospel without being hateful or make people resent The Word. I can't imagine you're getting any converts if that's your goal. I think you're making a lot of people turn away with your intolerance. I can see it in the replies to your threads.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:43 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You don't push your religion of atheism on anyone...but you seem to want to put down the religions of others by using words like magic and mythology? Number one- most religion is not about magic or mythology- It is about law. The Ten Commandments are not mythical or magic...they are LAWs that your nation was built on..
Not so. The first four commandments are in direct contradiction to the 1st Amendment.

I can, legally:

Have other gods, or none.
Make all the graven images I want.
Work on the Sabbath, if so I please.
And take the Lord's name in vain.

So - 40% is right out the window.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,396 times
Quote:
I don't mean just because our national motto is "In God We Trust", and the Pledge of Allegiance refers to "one nation under God". These can be ignored or dismissed if one is really determined.

But you can't ignore things like the biblical seven day week. You can't ignore the fact that our calendar counts forward from the birth of Jesus Christ. You can't ignore Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving - and you can't redefine them without carrying around a huge chip on your shoulder (which is not uncommon). You can't ignore St. Louis, San Francisco, or Los Angeles, at least not until the ACLU gets around to suing them for violating the first amendment.

And if you are an American who speaks English, you can't get away from saying things like "goodbye", which means simply "God be with you", or receiving a "bless you" from others when you sneeze.

Worst of all, the English language itself, as spoken in the United States, is permeated with biblical and Christian allusions that are impossible to avoid.

Here's a list of 122 English phrases bound to drive an atheist to madness. Enjoy.
Actually, it's pretty easy to be an atheist in America. Is it hard to not believe in Zeus, Ra, Thor, or the 3000+ other gods that have been recorded in history?

Do you have a hard time using a straw when you go out to eat? You do know that the straw was first invented by the Sumarians to filter their "beer" when they drank it? If you go back far enough you could skew facts and say if it wasn't for this religion or that religion we wouldn't have clothing, fire, houses, shovels, etc.

Arguing from such a view as the OP is illogical, immature, and requires little thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies