Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times

Advertisements

LOL, I work for a public utility. We have been using these for 20 years. All they use the info for is to determine loads and transmission facilities adequacy. It's good for the customers when we upgrade their transformer before it blows due to being undersized.

I knew Texas was backward but I didn't think it was Mexico backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Good for Texas. This is Step 1 of the government telling to when you can run your dishwasher or turn on your washing machine.
You make this determination with no information or knowledge of why the utility is trying to modernize. That makes you seem paranoid.

I mean this is a seriously stupid issue. They are just finding some nuts and trying to paint everyone in Texas as nuts.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The article did say that 87 percent of smart meters have been installed so far in Texas (me included). Hardly a state uprising.

The person with the gun? Yes, she has the right to protect her property. Yet, I don't see where her property was at risk of confiscation or such. I guess she would be most pleased if the electric company pulled her meter completely, and she would never have to worry about a meter reader coming on her property.

It just seems strange to me what some people like to protest about. Bulls looking for a China shop.

I will note that our weekend cabin still has the old meter. I wish they would install the smart meter, since on the days the meter reader is due we have to keep our dogs inside the house, and my wife and I must be more circumspect on how we dress for swimming.

I have noticed, by the by, that our electric bill for the smart-meter house has gone down. I guess the old meter was not very accurate.
Technically, she agreed to allow utility workers on her property when she signed up for elec service. They will just cut the elec in the street if she threatens a worker.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,795,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The lady with the gun had a right get the man off of her property with a weapon. I've done it, myself. It will be interesting to see if the deregulated companies have to provided her with electricity.
Really? I can imagine how the utility worker felt having a gun aimed at him by an old lady...
He was on her property on legitimate business, inspecting a electric meter being a property of the electric company.

I think that lady should be tested if even competent to posses a fire arm. That's nuts.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
For the record, I did not sign any contract allowing anyone on to my property without my express permission in advance. If they want access to my property, they had better call in advance and ask for my permission.
Someone, at some point, almost certainly did, and easements (generally speaking) stay with the property even if ownership changes.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
By committing a crime government will take rights away. You cannot be obligated to sign your rights away. No one can make a contract with you that makes you give away your rights as part of that contract as far as I know. Maybe some extreme case not involving breaking the law? dunno.

Again, just to be clear. You are granting the power company the privilege to access your land. Not the right too. You can rescind that privilege anytime. There is a big difference between a right and a privilege. Only the property owner can grant privileges.
I could be speaking to the choir in answering you as I think your point isn't necessarily about that it's about either you cave or you loose power.

Those aren't her choices. Her choice was to keep the same working meter. IF that was the only electric company in town or if it wasn't cost effective for other companies to read the meter then you'd be correct imo.

I just read another post that said if the electric company was a monopoly they can't stop service. So if that's true my previous statement is wrong.
Once again, you show that you do not know what you are talking about.

easement legal definition of easement. easement synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Couple highlights from there.

- You will clearly see that an easement granted RIGHT to the property in a prescribed many. It is NOT granting a privilege. So yes, in essence you are signing away your rights to property, in a limited way.

- There is a process for rescinding easements, and "telling them to leave" isn't how it works.

Read and learn.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The article did say that 87 percent of smart meters have been installed so far in Texas (me included). Hardly a state uprising.

The person with the gun? Yes, she has the right to protect her property. Yet, I don't see where her property was at risk of confiscation or such. I guess she would be most pleased if the electric company pulled her meter completely, and she would never have to worry about a meter reader coming on her property.

It just seems strange to me what some people like to protest about. Bulls looking for a China shop.

I will note that our weekend cabin still has the old meter. I wish they would install the smart meter, since on the days the meter reader is due we have to keep our dogs inside the house, and my wife and I must be more circumspect on how we dress for swimming.

I have noticed, by the by, that our electric bill for the smart-meter house has gone down. I guess the old meter was not very accurate.
I don't think 87 per cent of residences in Texas have smart meters. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

I certainly don't have one. Nor have I been offered one.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A handgun? Really? Good God, the more I read about people in that state, the less I want to go there.

Good idea.. I think we can survive without you.. It will be tough, but we will try..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL, I work for a public utility. We have been using these for 20 years. All they use the info for is to determine loads and transmission facilities adequacy. It's good for the customers when we upgrade their transformer before it blows due to being undersized.
I don't believe you. A person who works for the power companies is an unreliable source. They will say just about anything to get what they want. Power companies do NOT get to invade the privacy of individuals because they think what they are doing is a good idea.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-29-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Once again, you show that you do not know what you are talking about.
Once again as a dog returns to his vomit a fool returns to his folly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
easement legal definition of easement. easement synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Couple highlights from there.

- You will clearly see that an easement granted RIGHT to the property in a prescribed many. It is NOT granting a privilege. So yes, in essence you are signing away your rights to property, in a limited way.

- There is a process for rescinding easements, and "telling them to leave" isn't how it works.

Read and learn.
Read this and have someone explain it to you in small words just so you understand. You are never obligated to sign away your rights.
By granting someone access to your property you are not giving them the RIGHT you are allowing them the PRIVILEGE to enter your property. When someone comes onto your property you have the RIGHT to chase them off. Once again the power companies cannot take away your rights.

There is no such thing as "In essence you are signing your rights away". That is something you made up because you have no reasonable explanation. The power company has every right to go onto your property to recover the old meter since it is their property. Easements allow workers to come onto your property for repair and maintenance and to read the meter. They do not allow a company to put something on your house without your permission.

Read and learn the difference between a right and a privilege or you'll continue to make the same mistake and continue to look foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies