Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,002 times

Advertisements

A contrite Bishop Cordileone apologized this afternoon:

"While visiting in San Diego this past weekend, I had dinner at the home of some friends along with a priest friend visiting from outside the country and my mother, who lives near San Diego State University. While driving my mother home, I passed through a DUI checkpoint the police had set up near the SDSU campus before I reached her home, and was found to be over the California legal blood alcohol level.

"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself. I will repay my debt to society and I ask forgiveness from my family and my friends and co-workers at the Diocese of Oakland and the Archdiocese of San Francisco. I pray that God, in His inscrutable wisdom, will bring some good out of this."

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Maybe he should spend more time not endangering the lives of innocent motorists and less time fighting the tide of history with his pro-discrimination agenda...
When people in the US object to illegal immigration they are called racists.

When they complain about muslims, they are called bigots.

Can we call you a bigot for opposing the religious views of others?

Keep in mind, I'm pro gay marriage, just pointing out a hurdle people need to recognize.

Besides, pro-gay marriage in California lost because of the influx of mexican immigration with both a strong religious tie against homosexuality as well as cultural.

However, you chose to not address this.

WHY?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,572,630 times
Nice to see the Archbishop readily taking responsibility for his actions. An opportunity for humility is a gift.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,255,627 times
I'd really like to see the blood alcohol content on this guy. If its a .08 to .11, yes, it is quite possible he didn't know he was over the legal limit. However, if he is a .30+, then throw the book at him.

Mistakes happen to every walk of life. If you drink alcohol and think you have never driven over the legal limit, most of you are liars. The man admitted responsibility for his mistake and is willing to take responsibility for it. What more do you people want? A public flogging?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
The man admitted responsibility for his mistake and is willing to take responsibility for it. What more do you people want? A public flogging?
Pretty much, because they don't agree with his political views.

It's an election year, rational thought is out the window, it's a full-blown riot of chimpanzees screeching and throwing poo and sticks. (both sides)

Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,945,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When people in the US object to illegal immigration they are called racists.

When they complain about muslims, they are called bigots.

Can we call you a bigot for opposing the religious views of others?

Keep in mind, I'm pro gay marriage, just pointing out a hurdle people need to recognize.

Besides, pro-gay marriage in California lost because of the influx of mexican immigration with both a strong religious tie against homosexuality as well as cultural.

However, you chose to not address this.

WHY?
I stated that the bishop is pro-discrimination. That's a fact. He is 'pro' (in favor of) 'discrimination' (laws that are tailored to the natural sexual orientation of heterosexuals). Those are facts. Not name-calling, facts. If you consider that a hurdle, too bad.

I don't oppose religious views, I oppose codifying those views in law. But, hey, go ahead and call me a bigot because I oppose stoning to death as a legal penalty for adultery. Not sure what your point is, but, there you are.

As to your wondering why I didn't address the latino vote in Prop 8, why would I? This thread is about a bishop. I notice you didn't address the asian vote. But, as with the latino vote, since it really isn't all that relevant, I'm not surprised that you didn't address it. Unlike you, who seems astonished that, in a thread about a bishop who supports Prop 8, I didn't go off on a tangent about the latino vote....

Now, since you seem so bothered that I didn't swerve from the bishop to latinos... what about the latino vote? Yes, latinos as a group supported Prop 8. So what? I don't oppose the ethnicity of those who voted for Prop 8, I oppose the views. That's why, unlike you, I don't drag ethnicity into this discussion.

Why do you insist on doing so?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,904,461 times
That sacramental wine will get ya everytime.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That sacramental wine will get ya everytime.
Or maybe he only had water and it turned to wine?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,904,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Or maybe he only had water and it turned to wine?
Good point!!!!! I never considered that.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,228,160 times
Blood is about 80% water. So if water turned to wine, he'd have a pretty high BAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
What more do you people want? A public flogging?
I'd like him to register and for some marking to be put on his car(s) so that he can be easily identified at all times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies