Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 AM

635 posts, read 539,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pretty much, because they don't agree with his political views.

It's an election year, rational thought is out the window, it's a full-blown riot of chimpanzees screeching and throwing poo and sticks. (both sides)
He a religious figure, was there ever any rational thought to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I stated that the bishop is pro-discrimination. That's a fact. He is 'pro' (in favor of) 'discrimination' (laws that are tailored to the natural sexual orientation of heterosexuals). Those are facts. Not name-calling, facts. If you consider that a hurdle, too bad.

I don't oppose religious views, I oppose codifying those views in law. But, hey, go ahead and call me a bigot because I oppose stoning to death as a legal penalty for adultery. Not sure what your point is, but, there you are.

As to your wondering why I didn't address the latino vote in Prop 8, why would I? This thread is about a bishop. I notice you didn't address the asian vote. But, as with the latino vote, since it really isn't all that relevant, I'm not surprised that you didn't address it. Unlike you, who seems astonished that, in a thread about a bishop who supports Prop 8, I didn't go off on a tangent about the latino vote....

Now, since you seem so bothered that I didn't swerve from the bishop to latinos... what about the latino vote? Yes, latinos as a group supported Prop 8. So what? I don't oppose the ethnicity of those who voted for Prop 8, I oppose the views. That's why, unlike you, I don't drag ethnicity into this discussion.

Why do you insist on doing so?
Because the thread title brought up prop-8? And the guy is only 1 vote so....I'm pointing out that it's just funny that this guy is an acceptable target for heaping the blame for prop-8 on.

An intelligent analysis would have pointed to WHY the shifting demographics in california are NOT gay friendly leading to the results we saw with prop 8 and touched on where the big change in gay opinion is coming from.

I tell you what, let me explain what is going to happen in the next 20 years in California in a strictly analytical fashion.

1) The state is going to become more latino, more catholic and more anti-gay.
2) The latino vote is a CRITICAL item of importance since unlike black, gay, christian etc. demographics they are largely non-aligned to a political party.
3) What do you think the politicians are going to do for gays beyond lip-service when they are chasing a critical, anti-gay demographic for their votes? Especially when gays have nowhere to turn politically since the reps are solidly anti-gay.

Welcome to being marginalized, the whole "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free" thing. Get used to it because CA is going to keep drifting anti-gay...right out from under you and the politicians aren't going to help you.

I don't like it, I'm just explaining what has happened and will continue to occur.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
He a religious figure, was there ever any rational thought to begin with?
There are 14million Latinos in California. (38%)
California has more Catholics than any other state, 31% or about 11.5million catholics.

Demographics of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's funny though is that when prop 8 passed the blame and fingerpointing was at "acceptable" political targets especially the Mormons (gee I wonder why they got singled out....hmmmmm....lol).

California Proposition 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just found that the finger-pointing over the passage of prop 8 was largely politically motivated and that no one wanted to point a finger at a group that usually supports your politics.

ie) There are more jews in CA than mormons and they had the strongest anti-gay views. (See link above). Yet they weren't targeted. It's just a sign of how the game is played and the numbers are NOT going in a pro-gay direction in CA.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
I never understand this from people of power. If you make millions and millions because of celebrity in some form, or your a powerful person like this Archbishop: why not get a driver?
The average salary for a parish priest is about 30,000 in this country. An archbishop probably makes around 50-60k. While generally their compensation includes housing, and while diocesan priests don't have to take a vow of poverty, many try to lead humble lives. I know the bishop of Richmond used to drive himself around in a newish Ford Focus. Not the worst car ever, but not necessarily living in the lap of luxury either.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Quick! Everyone to the Chick-Fil-A thread for a politically safe target to blame for gay marriage opposition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies