Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Some nurses unions are starting to request that RN's be exempt from having to move obese patients due to injuries during collective bargaining. I have a friend who refuses to work in a bariatric unit ever again after three job related back injuries from lifting 400+ pound patients.

When I was younger, I worked in all sorts of situations of lifting patients--Nursing homes, hospitals, private care (I used to have to turn a 200 # person and getting her on the hoyer lift was a struggle). I'm small and I stopped all of it in my late 20's. I don't mind turning normal weight patients, but that's it. I also have an issue with docs, when people see them, don't they teach proper nutrition and carb counting, lean protein, exercise???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most obese people don't need a doctor, they need a dietician and a trainer. Once they get their weight under control, the obesity related disease will go away.
Not really true. Obese people who are dieting and exercising and losing weight need to see a doctor very frequently as their body changes and their needs for medications they've been on need to be decreased. The heart needs to be closely monitored as well when an obese person starts exercising and dieting.

the doctor who won't see an obese person needs a personality transplant.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
It seems like she's limiting her potential client base, especially since there are so many people over 200 lbs nowadays. After her business suffers she may choose to change her mind on such a restriction.
I doubt it. Right now there is a shortage of doctors in this country. My doctor has stopped seeing all patients who aren't covered by either certain private health insurance plans or medicare with supplemental plans because she was losing money on the others. It allowed her to begin accepting new patients again--they type that she can actually make a profit on.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
When I was younger, I worked in all sorts of situations of lifting patients--Nursing homes, hospitals, private care (I used to have to turn a 200 # person and getting her on the hoyer lift was a struggle). I'm small and I stopped all of it in my late 20's. I don't mind turning normal weight patients, but that's it. I also have an issue with docs, when people see them, don't they teach proper nutrition and carb counting, lean protein, exercise???
Because our society has made it impossible for them. It's become socially acceptable to be morbidly obese, and it's socially unacceptable to say anything negative about it. And in some cases, it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
I wonder if her overweight grandfathered patients would still want to continue being seen by this doctor?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Not really true. Obese people who are dieting and exercising and losing weight need to see a doctor very frequently as their body changes and their needs for medications they've been on need to be decreased. The heart needs to be closely monitored as well when an obese person starts exercising and dieting.

the doctor who won't see an obese person needs a personality transplant.
Then maybe the doctor should refuse to see the obese person until they actually take steps to take care of themselves by beginning a diet and exercise regimen and dropping some weight.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I had trouble playing the video. I don't know what the lady was going to the doctor about. She didn't look obese to me, she was just a large person. If her staff has been injured, then they don't know the appropriate way to lift or deal with obese people. One person should never attempt to maneuver an obese patient by themself. A clinic usually isn't the place someone is lifting patients anyway.
She looks like she's well over 250 pounds, she looks morbidly obese.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
uhm whats...'normal weight'

michael jordan...Height: 6 feet 6 inches ; Weight: 216 lb (98 kg)
Arnold Schwarzenegger: 6'2" 240 lbs.,
tony romo.... 6'2" and 224 lbs
brad pitt.....5'11'' and 205
bruce willis.....5'11.5'' and 212
hulk hogan.....6'4'' and 295
sly stallone....5'10 and 220lbs
vin diesel.....6'0 and 220lbs

Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
well, that should definitely cut down on her workload.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
"I thought Doctors were there to help you"

The Doctor serves ME. There ought to be a law...

Just like the Spirit Airways baggage fee, the Senate will try to appeal to bleeding hearts by doing the only thing it knows how...make it illegal not to accept heavy patients.

I hope and pray that my Doctor refuses to take BMI > 30. That way the line is dwindled down so us non-fatties can get served quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies