Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ahhh, now we finally get a few righties admit their real agenda and it is not to remove cheaters but instead the agenda is to kill off all forms of welfare. Thanks, now all can see the ultimate goal of those that ask for "reform" but really meant to say "discontinue". The only reason they don't all say this is they know that the idea will not fly with most Americans. Be aware folks, always look at their ultimate goals before falling for the opening sales pitch on the issues.
the real agenda is to get rid of welfare as it is right now..a cradle to grave entitlement

we wand it to be a HELPING HAND UP..not an entitlement

we want WORKFARE not welfare

ut oh... I said that 4 letter word that liberals dont like....WORK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Hypothetical with ideas of truth.

If 1% of welfare recipients were "healthy" adults capable of working, would you spend greater than the amount they receive total to remove them from welfare? For example, if it cost five million dollars in the state of Virginia to keep 1% of its welfare population who otherwise does not qualify (say they lied on their forms or something), or would cost eight million dollars to research the abusers and instill a system which keeps them off, would you pay for it?
The $5 million would be paid to them year after year, becoming $10 million, then $15 million, ad infinitum as the years go by.

The $8 million is a one-time expense that would get the unqualified ones off. Preventing future unqualified people from getting on, would cost much less.

So, (as is usually the case) preventing the fraud you described would cost a lot LESS than paying for it forever.

Yes, I'd do that. As a first step toward installing rules to get others to train for jobs and get jobs, and so get them off the Welfare rolls too, and make them more prosperous in the long run.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the real agenda is to get rid of welfare as it is right now..a cradle to grave entitlement

Eh, some businessmen like sending work to other countries better so it puts money on their pockets.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fraud and abuse of government welfare programs are never found by the people running the programs.
The fraud and abuse is found by journalists who write stories that we read.
The government REACTS to the stories and does a tap dance about how they will toughen up and regulate more and that's about where it ends.

Example..when journalists wrote about the Lifeline program and how people had up to 5 lifeline phones with various carriers the FCC said they would "crack down". Turns out the FCC never asked the carriers to check on these people before giving them the free phone, there was no national database that contained these people to check against. And what did the FCC do..why they now have a plea on their website to people with multiple lifeline plans to please cancel all but one.

We don't need to give them more money to get rid of the abusers because the abusers shouldn't be in the system to begin with and there should be constant oversight to get rid of them if they do get in.
But our government agencies do squat until the abuse hits the headlines.
There are people who you can hire that work on a a %age of what they can save you. In the end it cost you nothing because the savings is much more then what you pay them.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Reform in your eyes is paying folks more money to stay home and do nothing.
You must have some sort of reading comprehension problem if that is what you got from my first post on this thread, I would have that looked at.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I just keep wondering, why haven't the House Republicans sponsored a bill (that i know wouldn't pass the Senate) that ends welfare overnight, right now, cold turkey? Even though it wouldn't pass, it would put them on record as the party that voted to end welfare altogether.

And since most of you think that all of America agrees with this, this should get the Republicans some votes, right? Romney should declare that if he wins and the American people give him a Republican Senate, they will end Welfare by the summer of 2013...and by the new fiscal year, no more checks will be mailed out. That's Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and any other type of direct cash/government assistance.

In fact, he should up the ante...end all federal participation in unemployment insurance and leave it to the states. Then i'd like to see all Republican governors declare that they'll seek to end unemployment insurance even on the state level also.

Hell...i'd like to see them kick it up a notch higher and declare that they'll seek to end the Social Security program for all people not older than 50 years old. All of the younger contributors will have their contributions returned and told to invest in the stock market if you want any income in your golden years.

If the Republicans promise this platform, i'll vote Republican for every office....from dogcatcher to president.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 08-28-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I have zero problem with WORK, been doing it for 44 years.

I will remind you once again that the vast majority do not want to be on welfare and only draw it for a limited amount of time. As for the cheaters, kick them off the program.

Helping hands is a great idea, so are you willing to invest in programs that helps people learn a trade so that they can make a living, meaning feed those in need while they learn to fish?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Hypothetical with ideas of truth.

If 1% of welfare recipients were "healthy" adults capable of working, would you spend greater than the amount they receive total to remove them from welfare? For example, if it cost five million dollars in the state of Virginia to keep 1% of its welfare population who otherwise does not qualify (say they lied on their forms or something), or would cost eight million dollars to research the abusers and instill a system which keeps them off, would you pay for it?
Unless they are elderly or diabled you make welfare temporary.
At some point maybe you reduce benefits by the month down to no more than some food stamps.
Some you will NEVER motivate to work, but if you want to pay people to not work many will have no problem with that.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I just keep wondering, why haven't the House Republicans sponsored a bill (that i know wouldn't pass the Senate) that ends welfare overnight?
Can you say Political Suicide?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I wish we had the English system what ever that is..... Once i met a biker from England with his own Harley and it was custom painted to be their flag. The English bought the bike painted it and sent him to the USA for a vacation. All costs paid free by the English welfare system. I could learn to like that!

All he has to do is ride around and spend someone else's money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies